Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 PM   #16
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I scout trails in Canada right now in my Jeep, a top speed of 45mph with my tires at 5psi, if I could do that on a bike, I'd be thrilled!

I may get this thing running and fall in love with exploring on it, or I might not like doing that on a bike. Its kind of a gamble.

I found some Kenda K270's that look like the right size. I've got no clue when it comes to tires and whats good and whats not. I guess I'll find the most aggressive DOT tires I can find that fit.
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 PM   #17
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Last night I finished assembling the oil pump, mounted it in a different case cover, cleaned up a few odds 'n ends, free'd the stuck piston ring, assembled the head and finished packing the clutch.

Out of all the clutch discs I had, half were cracked, the nasty old blue bike actually had the nicest clutches in it, probably only a couple thousand miles best guess. Went through all the rubber cusion/spacer things that go between the clutch pack and picked out the nasty cracked hard ones and replaced with the nicest soft ones. I smoothed out the rough edges on the part the clutch rides on, hopefully it'll result in a nearly perfect clutch action.

I plan on torquing the head down and doing a compression test by hand....we'll see if I can manage that one...

As far as tires go, I measured around the rear tire for clearances. I want the widest tire I can on the rear, I plan on hitting wet stuff and sand frequently so I think I need the flotation, same with the front. Its just shy of 1" on either side before I contact the swing arm on the back...

Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #18
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope. Nada on the hand compression test! I managed to only get to 30psi.....by hand, cold, with a leaky seal on the tester....bla. I'll do it for real once its all together.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #19
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its been a while. My car broke down so I had to fix that (head gasket), then we had a mini vacation (long weekend) so not much got done in the garage.

I managed to set the points and just about wrap up the engine/trans.

I tore down and cleaned the carb up, I need to replace one O-ring then its done. All the bikes had junk O-rings, so no luck there.

I started on the cables for everything. I lucked out and I have a good clutch cable, good throttle cable, good front brake cable, and both the speedo and tach cables work. I had to lube 'em all up, but after working them all they work very smooth now without any binding. No frays are visible, so I'm just going to see if they last.

The brake switch required some parts from the other bikes to get it working right and bolted up right. I'm soooooooo glad I have the other 2 bikes, cuz a bunch of this small stuff would be a PITA to find!

I took both seats apart. Looks like the hinges are different. So, I'll take them to work and sandblast both, grab the hinges and prop rod and rubber from the one and make the second seat work. I'll have to weld a few areas back together though. I think I'll just reuse my seats right now, its torn, but a bit of tape should keep it together until I see if I want more foam etc...

Other things: Looks like the sparkplug boot thingy won't fit over the spark plug head. Not sure why, but I'm going to stop at the auto store and see what they have. The front brake adjuster nut thing is screwed up on all 3 bikes. I'm either going to use the best of the 3 or try making a new one. Battery is shot, need another one. Cleaned up the chain, looks good, I put some light lube on it until I get it together and find out if its stretched too much or if it fits fine. Probably need a new oil pump cable.

Lucas
Old 09-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #20
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Welp, I did the seat today after work. Sandblasted it, welded it, primed it, top coat, glued the seat down and put the old cover back on it. Turned out nice I think. A new seat cover would look nice, I'll have to see what is out there for these older bikes. (oh yeah, the pink sparkly shoe is my daughters....)

This little dohickey has got me stumped. I'm assuming the spark plug boot portion will only snap over the old style sparkplugs with the "threaded" heads??? Cuz it doesn't go over the standard plug I have. The autostore parts guy looked at me with a blank stare and suggested I try a new sparkplug......:slap:

And I spent about one hour looking for my rubber bushing package I bought. 10 pcs of the little rubber with metal sleeves used all over the bike, I bought one pack and I can't find it ANYWHERE. I'll be uber ticked if I need to go and buy another package....
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #21
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler
This little dohickey has got me stumped. I'm assuming the spark plug boot portion will only snap over the old style sparkplugs with the "threaded" heads??? Cuz it doesn't go over the standard plug I have. The autostore parts guy looked at me with a blank stare and suggested I try a new sparkplug......:slap:
Pick up an NGK spark plug, then just remove the top Most plugs have a screw off top to expose the 'threaded head'.

Motorcycle Tours in Guatemala
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #22
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll have to hunt down a plug that unscrews then. The one the engine had in it doesn't do that.....I broke it trying There was a half a plug in the parts box I got with one of the bikes that had the screw top....I thought they probably just obsoleted that type, good to know they didn't! Parts guy thought the head was smashed on my plug.

There was oil leaking out the left side crank. I'll probably start it up (or try to) and see if it even runs. Then take note and tear it down to replace seals, and whatever else may need to be replaced (rings, all other seals, etc..) Now when you say it would not run, it was because the crank seals were bad? I guess I'm completely missing some basic operational thing here. Does the piston actually put some compression into the engine itself? I just thought when the book was talking about pushing the air into the combustion chamber, that it wasn't compressing it, just pushing it......hmmmm....

Those pictures actually do help!! I now know what that strange switch with a spring was that was just hanging off the side of the bike! Its the brake switch! Now that bike looks CLEAN! I'm going for the "its been used a long time" look, not polishing anything and leaving the rust cuz it adds character

lgottler screwed with this post 09-22-2008 at 09:39 PM
Old 09-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Come to think of it, I did hammer that seal back into the engine! It was sticking out a bit and I figured it should be in further, so I just tapped it back about 1/8" or so.....
Old 09-23-2008, 12:12 AM   #24
racer 07
Lock & Load

Oddometer: 690
I have several of these Yamahas. Lots of fun. One is a 1972 ct2 175 with reeds. Get it running right and they haul butt! Lots of inexpensive parts on E-bay. YamahaEnduro.com will answer all your questions. Get a Clymer manual. 80-175cc piston port 1968-1976. Reed valve engines run best imho. Hope this helps. Have fun. Racer 07
racer 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:34 AM   #25
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,574
It's a bit of a drive for you, but some guy in St Louis kept reposting an ad with like 4 of these (or similar) bikes on craigslist.

I kept trying to sneak one or two off him, but he refused. Only wanted to sell them as a lot.

I guess that's why he kept reposting.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #26
Renegade6
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Buy extra plugs, can foul out quickly and always good to have a spare. If the one you have doesn't have a screw off top, it is probably a car plug.

1993 BMW R100GS
Renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #27
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,932
I need that part for my 74 I just got. Wanna sell one?
reddirtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #28
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtjoe
I need that part for my 74 I just got. Wanna sell one?

I can't see the part. What are you looking for?

dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #29
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Coil I believe.

Now, when you consider a crank seal bad, its when it leaks oil, right? What if it keeps popping out of its seat when you kick the engine over? Or is it not supposed to seat? Or is there supposed to be a spacer on the back of the magneto (?) that keeps pressure on it?

Is there anything else on these engines, trans' that need attention before I put it on the bike and try to start it up?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #30
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,932
Yes it is the coil, for now. Here is what I am starting with .
reddirtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote