Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #31
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirtjoe
Yes it is the coil, for now. Here is what I am starting with .

At least it's all there. I don't have an extra coil. I do have a bunch of other stuff though
- In Memory of Amanda Cassady
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM   #32
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 71
[quote=*Gmoney*]A pic of my CT2 1972 175

God, I wish my little bike looked that good! I stumbled upon this thread by chance, and I'm sure glad that I did! It gives me new inspiration to clean up my AT3 and return it to its former glory. One question, how did you get the engine cases looking so good? Mine seem to be peeling and beginning to corrode. Were these things clear-coated or something?

My little yammie was bought new by my grandfather in 73' and given to my dad. He rode it for a year before purchasing a Montesa King Scorpion (I think that's the model). Guess the yammie wasn't exciting enough at the time! I inherited it from my grandfather several years ago after it had spent 30+ years in a shed. It needed some love as water had somehow gotten into the engine and it was seized. An overbore and Weisco piston (I didn't want to go that drastic, but at the time, it was all I could find that fit) has it all fixed up now. I'd say keep the oil injection if you can, it seems to work fine on mine. Is the o-ring on the main jet buggered like mine? I was able to source one from a hydraulics supplier that worked a charm. Anyone else have one with the funky generator/electric starter? The rotor (for lack of better term) on the stator is slighly corroded from being full of water and I think it's wearing out the brushes.

Anyways, just thought I'd chime in and nice to see other are keeping these things alive!
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #33
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
I'd hate to ride on some of these bikes, they look too nice!

Funny, the day I decide to update is the day two people post...

I've been busy with some things, but I managed to find time to dink around with a few things. The rear brake light switch was busted, the plastic cracked, so I picked another up on Ebay for 6 bucks. I have the battery in my car, I'm going to check the local dealer to see if they stock anything, otherwise, I'll check online for something 6v.

I tore down the rear tire/brakes. I'm lucky I have 3 bikes, I managed to find a decent set of pads on one of them. I had to break down the rear tire to access the spokes, one of them was welded together as a repair. I'm going to replace that one and maybe a few other badly rusted ones. Front spokes look good however. I need to source spare tubes, 3.5x18".

I'm still looking around for a filter to stick directly on the carb. If this doesn't pan out, I'll have to make a filter to fit the stock air box. Or I might just do the snorkle thing now instead of later this winter. I want to get this fired up to see what kinda work still needs to get done on her.
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 PM   #34
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,121
Has anybody suggested www.yamahaenduro.com yet?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #35
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Seems kinda like a dead forum for anything but selling.

I picked up a new battery for $25, cost 10 just to ship it, so it was only 15 bucks, just need the acid.

I also ordered a new filter, I'm ditching the box. When I have some more time to dink around with the bike and upgrade things to my liking, I'll add a snorkle. Its just a foam clamp on one

I'm leaving the tires on it so I can tool around over hunting season on it (if it runs) and keep an eye out for a good tire so I can get it road legal
Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 PM   #36
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I bolted the engine in tonight, I want to check compression by kicking it. I'll have to wait until tomorrow or next to arrange the stand and hook stuff back up for that.

Front and rear tires are on, brakes look good all around now. Shocks mounted back up, drained and refilled front forks, cleaned and lubed headlight switch, got the throttle/oil injection cables sorted. A hundred other small things checked and lubed as well. Sourcing a new tube was easy, I took one from the other bike.

Next on the list after the compression check is the fuel tank, clean it out and get some new hose. May need new fuel pitcock, have to see yet. Pretty much just a bolt on affair now, pending the engine of course.

An issue I haven't looked into yet is the ports on the carb. There are two smaller barbs along with the large one (main fuel line). I'm assuming those are vents? Book doesn't really say.

Also, first time start, I'm planning on putting in a cup or so of mix into the tank, and unhooking the oil injector to verify its functioning.....any advice there?
Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM   #37
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I ended up with 131psi avg. after a few tries (varied only by about 2psi) for compression. Thats cold however. At least the seals are tight and pressure is up there. Book calls for 100-150 depending on miles. Bikes got about 11k on it via odometer, but the head is off something else, so who knows. Once it runs a bit (hopefully) I'll check it again and keep a record.

And note: put the seat on before you try to kick it over, I racked the inside of my leg, not once, but three times before I decided to put a rag over the sharp hinge on the frame of the bike!

Got the battery today, I'll get to check the lights and switches probably on Wednesday or Thursday...new kids take up time!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #38
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler

...put the seat on before you try to kick it over, I racked the inside of my leg, not once, but three times before I decided to put a rag over the sharp hinge on the frame of the bike!
Been there, done that! I also removed the right rear passenger foot peg as it seemed to interfere with kick starting as well. As to the barbs on the carb...as far as I can remember (I don't have the AT3 here right now) there is only a fuel line and vents, so it shouldn't be too hard to get some hoses routed in there. Regarding the fuel petcock and tank in general, I would highly recommend an inline filter as in all likelyhood, that tank is nice and rusted! My petcock began leaking (the rubber inside gave up the ghost). I tried to make my own gaskets with various rubber material but gave up as the gas would eat anything I put in there. I took the petcock apart and made a SS block off plate and installed a plastic inline valve instead. My airfilter was pretty much disintegrated (as was much of the plastic/rubber componentry) so I went to a local upholstery shop and they hooked me up with some foam scraps for free. A bit of glue later, and it's as good as factory.

Hope you get that thing running soon! Be sure to post up some pics!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 PM   #39
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanE
My airfilter was pretty much disintegrated (as was much of the plastic/rubber componentry) so I went to a local upholstery shop and they hooked me up with some foam scraps for free. A bit of glue later, and it's as good as factory.

Hope you get that thing running soon! Be sure to post up some pics!
I was considering using a vacuum cleaner filter, the foam prefilter stuff, but some denser foam probably would be better for the engine!

A couple other things I've accomplished was to make a new spring for the rear brake switch. The one I got was for another model, so the spring was too short. I ended up using some Stainless at work and winding out a new one that was 1 3/8" longer. I also hooked the battery up and found the front brake switch to work, the brake and running lights work, but the front headlight is out.

I'm having issues figuring out the front fender. When I got the bike it wasn't hooked up right, and I can't really figure out if the metal is bent or I'm not getting it right. I have to pickup some more metric bolts for it and the side engine case.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #40
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I dinked around a bit tonight.

The headlight didn't work because the book says it runs off the magneto and not the battery. My neutral light works, amazing! Rear brake switch does not. What a waste of $6. I'll have to disassemble the "new" one and figure out why that isn't connecting inside (my meter says there isn't a connection). At least the extended spring was the right length.

Yet again, I'm soooooo glad I have 3 bikes. The headlight adjustment screw dohickey. Where would I have found one of those!!!??? Lucky.

Gas tank stinks. Bad. Really bad. The reserve port was completely blocked with junk. I tore it all down and cleaned, then assembled. I'm planning on putting a filter inline, then another on off lever. Swishing some gas around inside...no leaks, and I did get most gunk out. Not all that rusty inside.

I've got my list of fasteners I need to button up some things. Previous owner of the exaust decided that getting metric bolts as too hard and just used some english ones and added 2 washers under the head. So you have about 2 threads engaged before it wedges in there from size and pitch. Yay.

Clutch is adjusted. Feels a tad tight. Its motion is smooth, but the pull is harder than I expected. Maybe it will lighten once I work it some more.

Some little odds 'n ends like the front brake adjustment/mount screw...all mine are bent to some degree or another. Don't know how to approach that problem.

Starting to look like a bike. Looking at it itsn't pretty, but I've touched about every bolt on it. We'll see if it can run and how long she holds together. Oh yeah, I just rolled out blue bike #3 out to the road for scrap collectors...

Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #41
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,832
I got mine fired Friday. Sprayed flammable stuff and kicked. lol then tore into carb--- noticed it is missing the needle-- Where do you find one of them?? How about the reset knob on the speedo?

The headlight on mine only came on when the engine was running, so you should be ok there. My turn signals light up but don't flash-- where do you find a flasher? Any chance someone in Michigan can help? lol

P.S. mine had a "uni" filter in the airbox, it crumbled upon removal
reddirtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #42
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,832
I just noticed Your oil tank is on the oppisite side as mine-- I had to go outside and look. The tires you have on that are pretty much the same, original universal style on front(yokahoma on mine) and knobbie on rear
reddirtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #43
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I got mine fired Friday. Sprayed flammable stuff and kicked. lol then tore into carb--- noticed it is missing the needle-- Where do you find one of them?? How about the reset knob on the speedo?

The headlight on mine only came on when the engine was running, so you should be ok there. My turn signals light up but don't flash-- where do you find a flasher? Any chance someone in Michigan can help? lol

P.S. mine had a "uni" filter in the airbox, it crumbled upon removal
My answer would be to buy more bikes! All the little stuff is very difficult to get. I lucked out when I ended up with 3 bikes to share parts with. Even then I still had to buy stuff, but the stuff I had to buy was available. I keep an eye on Ebay and search once and a while for stuff, it comes and goes, so if its not there one week, it might pop up the next. Also watch Craigslist, 2 bikes I bought I found when someone posted that they were parting them out and parts were $5-$10 for anything, I ended up buying both. The first I bought, paid too much at 100 bucks, had a bin of parts and the bike, I assumed it was all there, but instead I inherited someones project bike that the guy I got it from didn't start!

I suppose before I junk the other 2 bikes, I'll snap some pictures of the leftovers and if anyone wants something, I'll just take offers. I'm not into the parting out business, too much time! If you need something specific, just PM me and I can see what I have.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #44
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I just noticed Your oil tank is on the oppisite side as mine-- I had to go outside and look. The tires you have on that are pretty much the same, original universal style on front(yokahoma on mine) and knobbie on rear
I'm probably going to try to stud these tires and buy something newer without the weather cracking and actually be DOT tires. I want to get this street legal, but right now I'm just getting to the point I can drive it to see if 1)It runs 2)I like the way it runs 3)It fits me and my plans for it.

Thats weird about the oil tank, I wonder which models did that? 2 bikes I have are on that side, the 3rd didn't have one.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #45
Helmet_Hair
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Looks like a fun project. I grew up riding on the tank of a CT-2 Yammie enduro. Sure brings back some distant memories. Right now, I'm working on my IT 125. Motor's fine, it just needs some attention to the rolling stock (bearings, fork seals, etc.). Looks like you're having a good time!
Helmet_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote