Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #91
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler
After rebuilding it, it just doesn't pump well. I have oil at the pump, but nothing really comes out the engine side. I just use mixed gas now, better safe than sorry. One day I might revisit this issue. I bet I just need a better rebuild of that pump.
Messed around with it tonight. Looks like its working correctly. I opened the throttle all the way and rotated the manual crank for the pump and I get a drop of oil every revolution.

The magneto is all screwed up now. Now that the crank isn't moving around, its actually snug where it should be, the magneto rubs the coils on one side. If I remember right, the lower bolt hole was jacked up, so hopefully I can move the whole coil set/contacts over about .020". I'll mess with that tomorrow.

Had to tear down and clean the carb, I guess putting Stabilizer in the gas won't prevent the carb from completely corroding on the inside.
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #92
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bla. Bla. Bla. I need a stand to work on the bike. My knees are killing me.

I have it running again. I had a spare flywheel/magneto so I took it to work and turned it about .020 larger inside, just in case I couldn't move the whole coil/points. Well, I couldn't. Then I didn't tighten the nut tight enough thinking I'll just test for spark, well, it sheared the key off. So, I had to make two new keys (one spare). Then get it all back together, set the points and it starts but doesn't stay running for more than a few turns. I'm out of gas. Took about 20 minutes to pin that down

But right now she starts, runs, and idles. I've got the trip coming this Friday!! so I need to pack tools for repairs (I'm not going to pretend I won't have to fix something), and come up with riding gear (gloves, pants, jacket). Hopefully I can take it for a spin around the block tomorrow and get the engine hot.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 PM   #93
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,374
Do you know why the gears were chewed up? How do the shift dogs look and are you getting a nice full engagement in the gears? (especially the chewed up ones)

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #94
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Do you know why the gears were chewed up? How do the shift dogs look and are you getting a nice full engagement in the gears? (especially the chewed up ones)
Not entirely sure why ONLY 3rd gear was chewed up. Maybe in the past 3rd was used mainly?? and had more abuse than all others? I noticed a single missing needle bearing holding the shafts in place, couldn't locate it, I replaced the bearing with a spare. Maybe that had something to do with it on a previous build???

On the bench I moved it by hand through all the gears and it was smooth and positive. I show no other signs of wear besides that gear. Maybe one gear was not heat treated correctly, made brittle and when a piece breaks off, it chews things up a bit, then falls to the bottom?

Brake lights don't work. Running lights yes, brakes no. I have a tool bag made up, rather more than I would normally carry, but first outing and all...about 10lbs. The rear rack could hold a person!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #95
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
i had a 68 yam dt1 250, in 70. in 6 months it went through 4 2nd gears. could never find any other bad parts. that one gear seamed to just come apart after a few mx races. we learned to have the engine out of the bike, torn down, gear replaced and running in an hour. sold it and never worried about that gear again. got another one a year later and raced it for about a year, without anything ever failing. sometimes seems things just happen to a particular bike. tom
Old 10-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #96
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

well, took the bike for a spin tonight and walked it back home! it ran for about a quarter mile up to 4th gear, then after stopping and restarting at a stop sign (engine still running), it lost power under heavy throttle (3rd gear) and just died.

It sounds like the points are not set right, but I took it in the garage and advanced and retarded the opening with no effect. I swapped to the other plug and it ran for a half minute then died with no restart.

I lightly filed the points clean with no change. It backfires usually. After a kick or two it fires, I think just through the exhaust, but it could be the intake a few times. Only once, not like its running or more than a single time.

Could it be gas getting built up and a weak spark finally igniting it?

I ordered a set of points and a new condensor for it a few days ago, but they "forgot to ship it" to the dealer. Hopefully they will be in tomorrow. Only thing I can think of is a condensor or just bad points.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #97
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Ct3

Built this one from a junk pile

eyedragaknee screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 07:29 PM
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #98
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

second CT3

I built this one to ride! First one is an "office bike"

This one I put a 21" front wheel, real foot pegs, longer shocks, got rid of the extra weight everywhere, runs premix.

Very light and fun to ride.

eyedragaknee screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 07:29 PM
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #99
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

W.O.W. (right click, save picture). That is how I want mine to look! Absolutely beautiful bikes!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #100
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I can't figure it out in time for the trip. I put on a points set and new condenser. Timed it, and the first kick checking for spark I had to pick myself up off the floor. Then after installing the plugs, I get intermittent to no spark to very weak. Even checking for spark again, I get a very weak spark!???

Plenty of gas, I cleaned and went through the carb AGAIN, checking for any missed particles etc.... plugs come out wet after trying to start it. I get a spark when checking for it grounded on the side of the engine, but its very weak (compared to my initial zap!) and doesn't happen every time.

I'm wondering if I have a wiring issue. I started pulling on connections and I had to resolder about 3 random lighting ones. The ignition switch needs the screw heads ground off and drill/cut/grind out the studs, but thats next for me looking at for bad wiring. I'm at a loss.

Great spark first kick. Crap after that.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #101
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

wiring

The usually spark isn't real bright blue just from kicking it over. Maybe trim off the end of spark plug wire end and re insert it.

Did you set the timing with a dial gauge fron TDC?

Do you have a shop manual?

These things are pretty simple.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #102
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
The usually spark isn't real bright blue just from kicking it over. Maybe trim off the end of spark plug wire end and re insert it.

Did you set the timing with a dial gauge fron TDC?

Do you have a shop manual?

These things are pretty simple.
I set the timing with a dial caliper and a few clamps. Before top dead center roughly .070" per manual.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #103
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I'm back at it.

Rebuilt the carb again, just in case. Replaced one o-ring, and cleaned a few ports out just in case.

I traced all the wiring and sanded all grounds and cleaned all connections. I used a test meter to test all wiring in sections disconnected from motorcycle. I replaced 2 light bulbs. I replaced one cracked wire for the neutral light.

As last time. I can clean the plugs with air, and it tries to fire first couple kicks, then nothing. Pull plugs and they are soaked again. I get a small spark only from the plugs, but it seems to fire with the kick regularly. It won't light off my spark plug test thing (has a much larger gap).

I checked timing again and its spot on. I ran extra ground wires to the engine, no change.

I'm down to checking/replacing the coil I suppose. I'll try tomorrow night.

Bottom line: It gets gas. It has 130 psi compression now. It sparks weakly all the time. It fires and runs for 5 seconds after drying the plugs.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #104
spo123
Man About Town

Oddometer: 637
Thumb

coil and grounds.
good luck!
spo
Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #105
lgottler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thats what I was thinking, bad ground. But I visited them, cleaned them and added them to no change.

I just picked up a new boot and new plugs. If that doesn't work, I'm going to buy a new bike!