ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
MaddBrit OP
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,468
Tim Johnson, Sales Manager at San Jose BMW killed...

I just recieved the sad news below from another Advrider.

Quote:
Tim Johnson, sales manager of San Jose BMW was killed yesterday while riding through the Sierras on his way to the Bonneville Salt Flats. According to my sources he was struck head on by a runaway vehicle which had crossed into his lane near Lake Tahoe.

Tim was a friend to every BMW rider and will be missed greatly by his family and coworkers alike. I personally will look into the corner of the room every time I stop by and take a moment to smile at his memory.

Godspeed...ride the wind.

RIP Tim.

Please be safe everyone.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,065
Never good to hear of another rider lost.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddBrit
Please be safe everyone.
Tim was an extremely seasoned rider, having ridden over 700,000 miles since the late 60's, and held a 300,000 mile award from BMW he accumulated over the past couple of decades. So it goes to show that experience, unfortunately, does not always save you. Ladies and gents, be careful out there. From an acquaintance of his to put a little more personal touch to it:

Quote:
Sucks!!!

I have known Tim since the early ‘90s. We have worked together, on and off for many years. The 1st thing that comes to mind was how passionate Tim was about his many interests in life, and not just motorcycles. He and I had many, many, conversations, where he told stories about his family and how much he loved them and how proud he was of them. He was a family man first and foremost. He was also an avid member of group of former military instructors. He was very proud of his service in our military, and had crazy stories of the things the young recruits would do. The best was how one of them accidently shot him in the back, (the bullet went in and exited out his shoulder) and how he turned around, grabbed the gun from the kid’s hands and hit the kid with it. During our last working relationship, his office was plastered with pictures of a Bonneville bike project that he spent his days dreaming about.

My two best memories of Tim are when he threw me out of the Custom Chrome Dealer meeting (I was working for Indian at the time, and the two companies had strained relations) and our Sunday morning rides. Tim would just ride away from us on our big bore “sport wipes” (as he would call them) on his 650 V-Strom. Tim was so fast and so smooth. Here we were with twice the horse power, fancy tires, and riding near the maximum of our abilities, and Tim would be just going along (and pulling away) like he wasn’t even breaking a sweat. I learnt a lot about riding from Tim.

This is a huge loss to the motorcycle community, and an even greater loss to people in general. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family during this very difficult time.

Tim, my brother, you will be missed.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
RobertDouglas
Tractor Pilot

Oddometer: 23
Tim sold me my GS in January, said hi to him when I was in the dealership just a couple weeks ago...now I wish I had talked to him a little more. Can't say I knew him, but he was about the most mellow, no pressure, zero BS salesman I've ever dealt with and seemed like a truly cool guy. Always knew when he was at the shop because his GSA would be parked out front. Really sad to learn of this. My sincere condolences to his friends, family, and coworkers at SJ BMW. --rob
RobertDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,762
Didn't know him but I'm sure I've talked to him.

Very sad indeed. Like Bob said, be safe. As safe as you can.

Rest In Peace Tim.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
This was sent to me today from a friend that knew him............

It seems that we care just a little bit more when a fellow rider is taken from us. I have known Tim for quite a few years. I met him during my SCUBA diving days. Tim is father to my friend Andy. I got a phone call this afternoon telling me of Tim's passing. Tim was an avid motorcyclist and motor-head in general. He and his family live very near to my mom's house and I drive past their place several times a week. Many times I would stop when the garage door was open and see what they were working on. The very first Ducati Monster that I stood next to was in Tim's garage.

I am saddened for the family's loss. I hadn't intended to send out a message like this and I'll get back to my (un)normal self soon enough, but here are a few places that Tim is mentioned by those who were lucky enough to have met him...

http://www. bmwlt. com/forums/showthread. php?p=329177

http://www. southbayriders. com/forums/showthread. php?t=64078

http://www. sjbmwracing. com/PEOPLEpages/Tim. html
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,419
Sad I will say a little prayer for him and his family.

Joc
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 AM   #8
Spartan
It's All Attitude

Oddometer: 197
Tim was always a pleasure to talk to and really took care of me when I purchased a bike. Really, really sad news. I'm sure he wants us all to keep on riding. Rest in peace Tim.
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 AM   #9
Mik
Riding big jugs airheads

Oddometer: 598
Damn that's sad. Like Ian, I didn't know him but I'm sure I've spoken to him.

a "motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocations, to excess."-T.E. Lawrence

"Don't thank me. Thank da Raidah's." Al Davis to Mik, at Hap's Original, 2008.

"We don't serve Heineken at the nickel machines". Complimentary drinks policy at some dump in Beatty, Nevada.
Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach
Here as well:

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18926
Old 09-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,364
He was an inmate here, too. R.I.P.

Profile.

Click to save $5 when you sign up for a SmugMug account! Or sign up with this coupon code: QzxDJzcJstR4A
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,289
RIP Tim.

http://www.tjadventour.com/
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

From the thread on SBR:

Hello Everyone,

This Saturday, September 6th, there will be a memorial service for Tim Johnson in Willow Glen. Please invite anyone that knew Tim, as we do not have everyone's contact info. We hope that everyone that knew him will come and celebrate his life.

The memorial will be held at the Lima Family Erickson Memorial Chapel

710 Willow St.
San Jose, CA 95125
Phone: 408-295-5160

We expect the memorial to be at 10am.... When we have a finalized time we will notify everyone.

Tim built a website about his life the last few years. http://www.tjadventour.com/. He wanted to share all of his adventures and stories with his friends. Please take a look and see what made Tim so special to all of us.

The Johnson Family,

Debbie Johnson
Casey Johnson
Andy Johnson
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #14
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,461
Rip.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy