Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #31
PSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
My fiance had a f650GS, one of the true one lunger 650's by rotax. It was a b*** to work on, but dependable. That is my only complaint about that bike. I like the simplicity of working on the Buell's I hope they get the electrical gremlins, voltage regulator which went out on mine, fixed along with the rear wheel bearings. I carry a spare VR, clutch cable and belt for trips just to be safe and when I get the rear tire changed will also swap out the bearings and also perhaps get one of the new and improved drive belts.
PSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:46 PM   #32
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse 101
Funny thing is I'm not a fan of the strom, even though it has roughly the same engine as my SV1000S, which is really, really fun. I'm keeping the SV when I get the Uly, that's how much I like the engine. I don't think that the V-strom is a bad bike at all, but nothing about it inspires me personally to want to ride it.

Keep patch'in em up, I'm an army vet myself.

JT
Yes, the 1000 engine on the Strom rocks and is so frickin' dependable, I wonder if I'm making a mistake even looking at another bike (Uly). But the bike itself isn't inspiring to be sure.

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #33
XRE650L
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Well, I say buy the ULY. I too spent loads of time researching both the BMW(GS12Adv, GS800) and the Buell. And just the rideability and ease of maint. did it for me. Not to mention the Sh!t eat'n grins Buell's produce. As for tours up here, I have seen H-D softtails, Kawasaki tour bikes, Yamaha's(all kinds) on the Dalton Hwy. I've rode my XR650L (sold for a Ulysses)up to Arctic Cricle(saw again all sorts), and plan on a Deadhorse/Prudhoe Bay trip in summer'09, as well as McCarthy, Dawson and many many more(on the Uly). This weekend i'll be taking the Uly up and over Hatcher's Pass(not a big pass, but a good place to see what she has) I'll post the aftermath of that one. I'd say (money aside) ride both and then make the call. Oh check out youtube for some ULY's on single tracks, impressive to say the least.
XRE650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:07 PM   #34
Skvarki
Scharf

Oddometer: 101
Everything's been said pretty much but I would investigate your dealers too. I've found that the dealer/service experience has had a voice in which bikes I've wanted to keep. At some point you have to go there and leaving feeling like you've been ripped off or screwed over isn't going to help you enjoy your new bike and may influence your opinion on the brand.

I broke a clutch lever on a 650GS BMW and had to wait 2 months until a new one came from "munich" which still irritates me. My dealer had an elitist BMW attitude that to this day put me off the brand, whereas I find my local Harley/Buell dealer kind and they give an impression of caring when I need them with the added bonus that my money supports American industry.
Skvarki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 AM   #35
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Even if you can, what is your time worth for the extra maintenance chores required?
I have a KTM 950SE, not a low-maintenance bike at all. My closest servicing dealer is about 1 hour away. I can service my bike in less time than it would take to drop the bike off, then go back and get it, and I do not get in a hurry when I'm working on my bike.

If your dealer is close by, and gives loaners, then using them for service can save time.

If/when I get a Uly, I'll still service it myself, even though the closest dealer is 15-20 minutes away; but mostly because I'm a tightwad.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM   #36
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie
If/when I get a Uly, I'll still service it myself, even though the closest dealer is 15-20 minutes away; but mostly because I'm a tightwad.
Not paying ~$200 for something that you can do yourself for ~$30 does not quite elevate you to tightwad status...
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #37
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
How about not paying MUCH more for a fix you can do for $5 and three leisurely hours last night? Do I get elevated? Well do I?

The Uly's simplicity is half the reason I love the bike. I can tune this think just like I used to my carb'd bikes, and that rocks. Only I have MORE control. (this is not yet true of the '08+ unfortunately.) I can do almost all major service myself. The design is an exercise in simplicity. Almost all the bugs can be fixed for ultra cheap and reasonably permanently (including the rear bearings and periodic intake seal failure).

The other half is the sheer fun of riding it. Never had a bike like that. Ride it up the canyon, ride it commuting, ride it across the state, it is uber comfy and a top handling machine. It is not perfect and it is not a dirtbike (I have an XR650R for that) but it is the most flexible practical girl I have owned and I still lust after it.

TM, I don't often disagree with you, but I do believe it is an adventure bike. Depends on your definition of 'adventure'. The known sources of possible breakdown are fairly few and fairly easily covered by carrying spares. OK, the fuel capacity is a bit limited.

All that said, if you want more dirtability and can tolerate the dealer (or have a good one), buy the Bimmer if it speaks to you. Buying both creates a LOT of overlap; that is why I have a very dirtable dualsport and a very streetable beast with dirt road ability. I have even been known to successfully navigate the odd 4x4 road.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:21 AM   #38
2Evil4U
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 996
Lots of great commentary from the dispersive. The only thing I'll add is NEVER change the fork oil. In my experience, when I had the dealer do it at 21,000 miles, it let all the mojo out of the bike. The poor thing hasn't been right since. Fork oil changed in February 2008, made it to 32,500 miles by June 1st. Is now at only 33,400 miles because it's been in the shop all but five days since.

I put over 1000 miles on my wife's Blast this summer waiting to pick up my GSA. Hopefully, if Ike doesn't drown us or send us all to Oz, I can pick the Uly up next week.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #39
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
The only thing I have to add to this, is make sure you fit the bike. The Uly while not necessarily a tall bike, seems to be so because of the width of the seat. There are several options, so make sure you also investigate that.

Wayne
Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #40
Impulse 101 OP
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
I actually fit the Uly nicely. My 250 pound girth compresses it a bit.

JT
Old 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM   #41
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse 101
I actually fit the Uly nicely. My 250 pound girth compresses it a bit.

JT
Ya know, the suspension is adjustable.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #42
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad
Ya know, the suspension is adjustable.
Yea, but it's not THAT adjustable. I'm 240# and if I ride 2up I can tell the suspension isn't optimized for that weight (I don't like skinny chicks.) It still does well, but you can tell it could use a stiffer spring.
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #43
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnance
Yea, but it's not THAT adjustable. I'm 240# and if I ride 2up I can tell the suspension isn't optimized for that weight (I don't like skinny chicks.) It still does well, but you can tell it could use a stiffer spring.

pff, lightweight...

I do know what you mean though. When it is just me on the bike, it feels fine. As soon as I start putting stuff in the luggage, or put my son on the back, there is some definite wallowing going on at times. I am gonna have to look into a heavier spring sometime.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:00 AM   #44
Impulse 101 OP
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnance
Pffffffft,
Get the right chick and you get a stiffer rider!

But seriously...
All of my Uly rides were done with just a quick adjustment of the preload and I've been pretty happy with it each time. I'm sure that I could and would dial it in were I to buy the bike.

JT
Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #45
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Evil4U
Lots of great commentary from the dispersive. The only thing I'll add is NEVER change the fork oil. In my experience, when I had the dealer do it at 21,000 miles, it let all the mojo out of the bike. The poor thing hasn't been right since. Fork oil changed in February 2008, made it to 32,500 miles by June 1st. Is now at only 33,400 miles because it's been in the shop all but five days since.

I put over 1000 miles on my wife's Blast this summer waiting to pick up my GSA. Hopefully, if Ike doesn't drown us or send us all to Oz, I can pick the Uly up next week.
That's right, don't change the fork oil or you will have the dreaded but rare throttle body shaft breakage!

Godspeed dealing with Ike, brother.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote