Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
dirt clod OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Too close for comfort! Need help with Headlight modulator choice!

O.K. I had too close of a call yesterday!!! I had an idiot in a SUV pull out in front of me making a left turn in less than a couple hundred feet from my front tire; this was at gas station along side highway 2 daylight and my high beams were on, I WAS BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT DRIVING AT 55 MPH, and within the next second my choices were go between the oncoming car in the opposite lane and this fool, or be a passenger in the front seat via the back window, luckily there was room between the two as mister 21 inch chrome spinner rim SUV made a wide turn and I went zipping between the two at 55mph!!! It’s funny how the seriousness of this possible deadly experience hits you minutes after the fact. I always carry a 45ACP with me, and the notion of turning around and ventilating his radiator had come to mind!! But I just rode on debating about selling the WEE as this was just to close of a call!! After cooling down at home I just could not part with the Wee I love this bike and everything did turned out fine (I can still feel his rear view mirror wind brushing my coat!!!)! Now to try and alleviate any further disturbances from the dark side!! I want to get a headlight modulator because any thing that will help you be seen has got to benefit me! Therefore from my research there seems to be several to choose from, Pathfinder, Kriss , Visipath, and Diamond star. The Diamond star looks like it’s a lot of wiring and God know I have done enough on the Wee! THEREFORE to the point of this long story which one are most of you yahoos using? THANKS!!
dirt clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
jdonly1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
I have one,its easy to fit and works a treat when turned on
http://www.comagination.com/
jdonly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Teager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I bought a Kisan and I think it definitely increases my visibility.
Teager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
punk_emo_tx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teager
I bought a Kisan and I think it definitely increases my visibility.
+1 purdy much plug and play. Easy to turn on and off too.
punk_emo_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Cam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
My experience with them wasn't very pleasant and I pulled mine. I found it pissed some people off, others flashed lights/honked at me and in at least two incidents did not stop someone from pulling out in front of me. At this point, I am not convinced they do anything but annoy the guy in front of you when sitting in traffic
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #6
JohnBoy777
Pseudo-Adventurist

Oddometer: 888
+1000 ...They work, well.

If you end up right behind someone at a stop light, etc., simply turn off your high beams, if you want....D'uh

These things really work, I find people waiting for me much longer, before pulling out, once I pass by.

If they piss people off (which I haven't seen)...good! It means they see you, right?

They are legal in all fiddy.

JohnBoy777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Cam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
There is no proof that these actually work. I don't want to argue it because it will turn into anecdotal evidence which pretty much can't be disputed nor proven. From my personal experience, I never noticed a difference other than mostly negative ones mentioned above. I didn't put one on my new bike because my opinion is (at least until someone does a study on these) that they don't really help against the most dangerous of the drivers such as people who run a red light or stop too late. Usually if I can see the driver, I have a good feel for what they are going to do and I plan ahead which you should do anyway modulator or not.

It is legal in all fifty states, but that doesn't stop local police from writing a ticket. I haven't heard of a recent ticket incident but they have been given out in the past and fighting them sucks unless you have time on your hands to burn.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
archeranger
honest optimist

Oddometer: 46
Annoyance

I'm with Cam on this one. I find modulators very annoying and the only time I notice is when one is in my rear-view mirror. As motorcyclists we have to accept that we're nearly invisible in this country of under-slept, over-medicated, distracted, in a hurry drivers. The best way to be safe is to ride like you're invisible.
archeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
H2oskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thumb I have the Visapath...works great, easy to install

I have the Visapath and it was very easy to install, just plug your bulb
in and route the daylight sensor to look up and your good to go.
Now as to people complaing about the modulators, you have to use
some commom sense. If you are following someone for a long time or on the interstate just turn it off. I use mine mostly in our rural Kansas 2 lane
roads, where farmers and people pull out of a field or their driveways
and, yes they turn their head in my direction, but they don't really LOOK.
The modulator just gets their attention and they STOP to have a double look to see what it is. Also make sure your headlight is aimed correctly.
Sit your bike up and then walk at least 200 ft in front and look to see
how it is aimed. In the 3 years I have had mine, I've never had anyone get
upset or flip me off over it. Again common sense and courtesy goes a
long way.
Dave
H2oskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
dirt clod OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thank you all for your input! On thinking back now, I really think MR. SUV actually wanted to get into traffic from the Gas station before oncoming car got any closer, simply for the reason that there were several cars behind the oncoming car and he wanted to get going! I am sure he did not even look in my direction, glance maybe, but no look!!! I could have tried to stop but I sure I would have slammed on the breaks with disastrous results I’m not that controlled! I did back off on the throttle but the SUV was in my face in seconds, and I did not slow much before the whole thing was over! I hate to think you need to slow down to 20 mph at each pull out with cars stopped at them along side highways especially with cars behind you! But after riding most of my life I do realize things happen, and a great deal of the time defensive driving it the way to go but some times stuff happens beyond your control and you have seconds to make correct decisions without thinking, just with gut reactions! Luckily for me my choice was the correct one! ONE FUNNY, when I told several other co workers about my close call, who are also riders, the one and only Harley guy asked AND I QUOTE “Did you lat it down”, what an asshat!!! LOL, the sad thing was the short bus kid was serious!!!! By the way I have a Pathfinder on order, it won’t give me a force shield, but it won’t hurt!!
dirt clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
There are people that pull out in front of trains and fire engines with the lights flashing, NOTHING is going to stop them and you have to act accordingly.

I would also add running lights--some good amber fogs pointed out and up to get a LOT of light into the ditches and driveways.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
Mike Butt
Agent Provocateur

Oddometer: 55,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
There is no proof that these actually work. I don't want to argue it because it will turn into anecdotal evidence which pretty much can't be disputed nor proven. From my personal experience, I never noticed a difference other than mostly negative ones mentioned above. I didn't put one on my new bike because my opinion is (at least until someone does a study on these) that they don't really help against the most dangerous of the drivers such as people who run a red light or stop too late. Usually if I can see the driver, I have a good feel for what they are going to do and I plan ahead which you should do anyway modulator or not.

It is legal in all fifty states, but that doesn't stop local police from writing a ticket. I haven't heard of a recent ticket incident but they have been given out in the past and fighting them sucks unless you have time on your hands to burn.
+1

I find them irritating. Why not put a strobe light on your helmet?

Adventure Rider #799
Mike Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
STebel horn

Combine it with a Stebel horn and whenever someone is within your 45 yards safety radius, you let him know that you are around.
It seems to me that it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedawg450
Hey, just thought I'd put my two-cents in. I installed the Kriss rear running light module on the back turn signals only. I didn't see much point in putting a modulator on the front. I'm a big guy wearing a bright yellow jacket - I could stick a stobe light on my helmet and they still wouldn't see me. Believe me, I get to drive around in one of those big red trucks with all the flashing lights and sirens - we still get cut off. I feel better with the rear running light and wig-wag break supplements on those foggy mornings because I may not be visible to drivers coming up from behind. At least when they are in front of me I have a little reaction time. Given my experience, defensive driving trumps gagetry every time.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:10 AM   #14
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
Head light modulators and fluorescent vests.
These things are dangerous.
Lull you into a sense of false security.
YOU will start thinking that people can see you, that they MUST see you because, well,after all you're wearing a vest and have your modulators a modulating.
You might as well add a Gremlin bell.
They cannot see you.
Wear black, ride like you are invisible.

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:55 AM   #15
FL_biker
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
I used the Kisan, works well and easy to install on my GL1800!!
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote