http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220092

Condo 750 - 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306565

Condo 750 - 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380805

Yilgarn Rallye - 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329746

ADV'ERS IN SAFARI 09:
(PM me with details and i'll update this section)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg
The Safari as an iconic event for offroad racing in Australia is at a critical point...............

why ??

For the event to survive it must be commercially profitable to Octagon the commercial owners of the event.

Justin and others on his team may work on the Safari because its a great job doing something they enjoy, BUT for the board of Octagon its all about the bottom line ROI (Return On Investment).

For the event to survive beyond 2009 it has to have MORE competitors in all categories.

If you at all have ever wanted to try your hand at the Safari tell Octagon NOW, enter for 2009 ASAP you can and show up for the event.............

If you dont it may not be here after next year

For those from the '07 or '08 Safari's that want to come back next year tell Justin NOW that you WILL be back.

The event almost went extinct after '04.......if it is not a profitable event in '09 we will never see it again

THE SAFARI NEEDS YOU NOW

OK SafariBerg,
What do we need to do?
- Bike
- Gear
- Spares
- Daily Maintenance
- $$$ for the event

Trang screwed with this post 01-04-2009 at 11:12 PM
Trang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e
OK SafariBerg,
What do we need to do?
- Bike
- Gear
- Spares
- Daily Maintenance
- $$$ for the event
send Justin an email telling him you WILL be a starter for 2009
Old 09-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Trang OP
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
send Justin an email telling him you WILL be a starter for 2009
ooohhh...committment
... and so far away.

Do you think there is some doubt on the running of next years event, in which case, are you are suggesting that the more people that express an interest at this stage will provide octagon more reasoning to start organising the 2009 event?
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
AllOrds
-------------

Oddometer: 1,345
Panic stations already?
Its only a week after the event, were the numbers down on last year?
AllOrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Crofty
Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer: 600
need to know what sorta $$$ we are talking to do it? Not the bike and spares but entering etc. Do they provide logistics if you don't have a back up vehicle?
Crofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #6
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,863
if only they....

would bring it back to the East Coast or at least the Centre of Australia... and make it more of a Safari than an Enduro....

The Safari is loosing it heritage.

IMO of course..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo
would bring it back to the East Coast or at least the Centre of Australia...
Central Australia....yes the Tanami etc is the goods.

Not sure why East Coast is any better than the west coast, there was lots of different terrain this year, most of it damn hard !

Quote:
and make it more of a Safari than an Enduro....
It was no enduro this year 2700+ km of Selective competitative stages, up to 235km long, lots of them over 100km long, lots of tricky navigation

Quote:
The Safari is loosing it heritage. ..
how so ?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crofty
need to know what sorta $$$ we are talking to do it? Not the bike and spares but entering etc. Do they provide logistics if you don't have a back up vehicle?
its about $10k-$12k to do the event ex-Perth + bike & bike set up costs

if you dont have back up yourself hook up with others and share, many riders do this.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Trang OP
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
From: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...60#post7769860

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1
There are a few teams doing a "hire support" package. I think Honda's package is something like $20k for basic package or around $30k for a "winning potential" bike and support. I know a KTM team is planning on having MecaSystem 530 EXC's available for "hire package", probably for around $20-$25k. Very limited numbers though.

I reckon my total cost was around $35k, including the bike and all spares, fuel, tyres, extras, rider entry and Service Crew and vehicle entry, but that was using my own vehicle for the Service truck and my Service crew paid their own way for food.

It could easily be done for less, as I had heaps of spares (thousands of dollars worth) of which the only part I used was a copper washer for the oil drain plug that went missing. Of course don't blame me if your trip becomes a disaster because you skimped on a spare lever or some special bolt.

You can "ball park" work the numbers:
Entry fee rider = $3.5k
Entry fee Service person = $350
Entry fee Service Vehicle = $250
Catering pack per person = $550
Fuel for bike (say 4,500kms) = $850
Fuel for Support/Service vehicle (say 2,500 kms) = $700
Hire of Service/Support camper = $3k
Standard bike = $13.5k
Rallye mod's = $3k
Tyres = $1.5k
Mousses = Ha ha ha need to order Mousses from Michelin about 3 years before the event!!
Tubes = $200
Total = $27.5k - ish

From here just add whatever spares you want, any new riding gear you might need and anything else over and above you want to add. This'll get you close for a start. I've not allowed for fresh tyres each day or factored in a bunch of spare air filters (I had 6 along for the trip as well as ran filter skins), oil and filters (I did 4 changes over the 6 days) or other stuff that I did have along that brought my total up towards (or past?) the $35k mark.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
guymcfly
Banned

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
its about $10k-$12k to do the event ex-Perth + bike & bike set up costs

if you dont have back up yourself hook up with others and share, many riders do this.
Just a point here Garry, and for all others...I used my own car/borrowed trailer (thanx Andrew), friend came as a mech (thanx again Andrew), ...

and probably bought it on on more like 8...I wasn't really trying to do it on the cheap, I actually wanted to do it more off my own back so to speak...

and as people who know me, its more in my nature to do things this way.

The bottom line, careful planning, and do start planning now. It takes a lot to get it happening.

guymcfly screwed with this post 09-04-2008 at 10:16 PM
guymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
guymcfly
Banned

Of course I had the bike, and usually have a new bike almost every year so that is not counted as a Safari cost from my pov...
Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 AM   #12
vbenedic
Rider

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymcfly
Of course I had the bike, and usually have a new bike almost every year so that is not counted as a Safari cost from my pov...
How offers hire pakages?

www.vbracing.com.br
vbenedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Would be interested in splitting costs of getting there from NSW and a mechanic. Preferably someone that knows a 660 Rally.
I'm one of these blokes that needs to do it as cheap as possible, so I'm happy to sleep in a swag getting there and back, but I learned in the Dakar that trying to do your own service work as well, sucks.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM   #14
guymcfly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbenedic
How offers hire pakages?
I know GHR do, and there was the bunch listed who offered the 650 BMW...but I didn't see any on the Safari so I think the price may have been prohibitive.

Quote:
Would be interested in splitting costs of getting there from NSW and a mechanic. Preferably someone that knows a 660 Rally.
I'm one of these blokes that needs to do it as cheap as possible, so I'm happy to sleep in a swag getting there and back, but I learned in the Dakar that trying to do your own service work as well, sucks.
That pretty much what we (and many others) did. Had a pull out awning on the Triton, and the night it rained we slept under our swags with a cheap blue poly tarp over them...no problems at all.

I noticed that a tent accomadation option was offered but only saw one get put up...I think the type of person who is drawn to the event likes the who camp routine anyway.

Its a really good event to be involved in...not just for the riding. The whole atmosphere is really unique, and it totally distances you from the rest of your life. A week on the Safari, and you look back thinking, "was that only 7 days ago!!! It feels like years have past" and thats a great thing. For the short time you are on it, your life becomes that much richer for having done it.
It's money very well spent.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:54 AM   #15
InertiaDRZ400
AusSafari Addict

Oddometer: 583
If anyone is interested and willing to make a commitment to do the safari reasonably early then im sure there is a few of us on the west coast that could help with stuff, from carrying gear to people or parts. Ill be revising my setup for next year and if all works out i may have a spare seat or two. Also the more poeple that run the same bike the less spares you have to buy.

So if anyone that is contemplating doing this amazing event then give me or pretty much anyone else that is doing it next year a call/pm and start the organising. It does take a lot of effort to organise but as far as im concerned it is worth more than you could ever spend!

As Guy said, once the first timer starts counting down to your very own start time on the very fist transport section, you will be totally absorbed into the atmosphere and lifestyle of the safari. It has to be experienced!

Safari 2011 ! ........anticipation!
InertiaDRZ400 is offline   Reply With Quote