Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #151
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,064
Oh I am so happy...

Hey folks.

I just finished planning / routing / GPS-ing the next few days, and things are falling into place perfectly...

I've got tomorrow taking me to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle camp.
Then a 300 mile / 8 hour day on the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Roanoke.
Followed by a 350 mile day on the Skyline drive, ending at Jim Von Badens place in VA, where he will teach me to adjust my noisy valves!

They have been loose for the past 8000 miles and driving me and "beastie" nuts. It's time to take matters into my own hands an fix things properly.

Things are great, and only getting better.

Happy me....
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 PM   #152
indianscout
Dexter

Oddometer: 617
Hey Questor, you'll love Roanoke and the surrounding area. Great people too! Enjoy your RR, keep up the good work!!

indianscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 AM   #153
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor
I'll be back in VT land in a couple of weeks. I'm gonna take James up on his offer of a free beer.
Let me know when that happens, and I'll buy you the second beer. Also, Alex will be around for the next few weeks, so we should stop in and visit him.

But first, as long as you're going to be in Virginia, and in keeping with the aviation/missile theme and all, you should stop into the National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy facility near Dulles Airport, where you'll be able to get an up-close look at your second SR-71. And a whole lot of other amazing aircraft. That place is incredible.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #154
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,418
Questor,

Looks like you would be coming through my area (York, PA) Friday. I extend an offer of a place to stay the night and a tour of the Gettysburg battlefield. I just happen to have Friday off.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #155
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Day 34: Tuesday Oct 7th

So where were we...

Oh yeah, I last left you in Bowling Green, KY, after visiting Mammoth Cave.

The next morning we rolled out of the KOA and headed to the "Blue Ridge Motorcyle Camp" near Cruso North Carolina... It is in North Carolina isin't it?

The morning was good one, and I told the GPS to route me on smaller roads. We've done enough Interstates to tranquilize a horse.

The back roads in Kentucky are very scenic and fun to ride.

This is horse country after all...

The smaller back roads were a treat...

After about 4 -5 hours of that, we had to make some time and took I-40 east to Knoxville TN. There was construction going on so I again told the GPS to take secondary roads. BIG mistake. We were routed onto hwy 441, through the center of town, and through the longest section of suburban sprawl I have ever experienced. I'm not exagerating, for 15+ miles I hit a stoplight every 1/10th of a mile. I nearly lost my mind. The bike started getting hot, and my temper went off the chart. I thought I had mellowed out with age, and rid myself of the terrible temper I used to have, but it all came back with a vengeance. After 5+ years of being a new 'peaceful' enlightened person it all boiled away...
But anyway, I digress...
We got back on I-40 east, and headed to the Great Smokey mountains.

Took a left and made it to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Camp. The plan is to ride Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway tomorrow.

Casa Questor.

Stats for the day: 351 miles, Moving Avg. 47.6 Moving time, 7:23. Stopped 1:20. Total 8:44.

Dinner again was 2 Fosters and 1 Subway sandwich. Meanwhile "Beastie" gets premium gas...

More to come.
Thanks for reading.
Q~

Questor screwed with this post 10-16-2008 at 11:26 AM
Old 10-08-2008, 05:49 PM   #156
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Day 35: Wed Oct 8th

Well we awoke to heavy rain.
The night before I checked the the Mapsource program, and it revealed that today was to be a 9 hour travel day if I did the whole route.

So when I saw the rain, I checked the weather, and it was not the day to try and ride 356 miles of twisty mountain roads.
So "Beastie" and I did a couple of hours of I-40 and then took the back roads towards the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Sorry, no pictures of the rain soaked Interstate - I assume you've all seen it before...

But we did take some back raods to get there with names like, "Squirrel Spur Rd." It took us up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

On the off the BRP ridge, we found Shooting Creek road. Very nice.

Old dwellings along the way.

A rain free stop along the way - to rest.

and my destination for the night...
The cozy abode of "Strommin", who was nice enough to offer me Tent Space, which is especially appreciated after the thorough soaking I took today.

So I'm drying out all my stuff, and tomorrow keep riding the Skyline Drive in Virginia.

Stats for the day: 283 miles, Moving Avg. 47.6. Moving time, 5:56. Stopped 0:34. Total time, 6:30.

More good stuff tomorrow.
Q~
Old 10-09-2008, 07:35 AM   #157
Boottrac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Give us all a shout when your back inCT

I am sure all the CT guys would like to meet at a bar and hear about your trip and raise a glass to your wandering success!
Boottrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #158
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boottrac
I am sure all the CT guys would like to meet at a bar and hear about your trip and raise a glass to your wandering success!
That should be in a day or two.
I'd like to meet you folks, and of course, I'll raise a beer or three.

I'll let you all know.
Q~
Old 10-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #159
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Day 36: Thursday Oct 9th

Well after a swell evening with "Strommin" I left his place at 8:00am.
The mornign was off to a good start. the heavy rain the previous day had stopped, all my gear was dry, and I had some choice routes planned for the day. Thanks again "Strommin".

The plotted route took me from Roanoke VA to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

While it was not raining, there was still a lot of fog and mist, which made for some great photographs.

Full Fall foliage is probably not going to be here for another week or two but some of the trees were starting to turn.

At times the fog was very thick.

But eventually the sun broke through, and I was able to take off the Gore-Tex layer, and get rid of the residual dampness.

After about 3 hours of Blue Ridge Parkway, the road turned into the Skyline Drive.

The road and scenery was pretty much the same, but the speed limit dropped to 35 MPH.

For me and "Beastie" that was too slow and we bailed at the first exit, and made haste to Woodbridge, VA to hook up with Mr. Von Baden.

We could have taken a more leisurely route, but we both HATE traffic, and tried to get here before the rush hour(s), locked things solid.

That's where we are now. In his driveway waiting for him to get home from work.

More to come.

Stats for the day: 270 miles, Moving Avg. 41.6. Moving time 6:30. Stopped 1:24. Total time 7:54.

Q~

P.S. If there any typos I appologise. Due to budget cut backs, I have been forced to let my assistant go.

Questor screwed with this post 10-16-2008 at 11:27 AM
Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #160
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Day 36: Addendum

Hi again.

As I said before, I'm down here paying a visit to Jim Von Baden.
He was generous enough to help teach me to adjust the valves on my GS Adventure.

The right cylinder has been tapping more than usual, and I was determined to learn how to work on it myself. Last year I bought a copy of Jim's DVD, but there is nothing like a hands on lessson from the master himself.

Suffice to say, Jim was exceptional.
Not only did he teach me how to inspect and adjust the valves...

But we pulled the alternator belt cover, and checked the belt - which was fine...

But he also helped me change the final drive fluid....

and he fixed one of my wobbly PIAA lights! It had a loose rivet and would vibrate and cast shakey shadows along the side of the road at night.
What service!

So I would like to send a HUGE thank you to Mr. Von Baden, and tell you all what a great guy he is.

He's also letting me crash on his couch, and use his WiFi.

Another amazing ADV moment.

So "Beastie" is all tuned up with fresh fluids, and ready for more adventures.
Me, I'm ready for Bed.

Goodnight all.
Q~
Old 10-10-2008, 05:28 AM   #161
MotoAdventureGal
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 993
Sky Line Drive

Quote:
For me and "Beastie" that was too slow and we bailed at the first exit
I'm still laughing! Yes, it's a beautiful road and a real challenge not to ride those curves like they oughta be ridden. I got lucky this Spring when I rode Sky Line Drive, and was able to do it in 2 hrs. 10 mins (with no tickets!)...I think that's only possible early in the am. While that speed didn't allow me time for pics, I *did* get to see a black bear! I also still chuckle every time I think about the pack of 14 Harleys I flew by all in one pass.

I'm so happy you're having an awesome journey.

<>

Are you coming to the ADVrider campout at my place in CT Oct 24-25-26 now that you are back on the East Coast? All ADVers are welcome. It was a blast last month (you were already on the road) and I know you are local...might be a good place to catch up with other ADVers and have them buy you those beers...

...your turn to be the life of the party since a bird tells me it's your BIRTHDAY weekend as well...

The thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387570
MotoAdventureGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #162
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider_grrl
I'm still laughing! Yes, it's a beautiful road and a real challenge not to ride those curves like they oughta be ridden. I got lucky this Spring when I rode Sky Line Drive, and was able to do it in 2 hrs. 10 mins (with no tickets!)...I think that's only possible early in the am. While that speed didn't allow me time for pics, I *did* get to see a black bear! I also still chuckle every time I think about the pack of 14 Harleys I flew by all in one pass.

I'm so happy you're having an awesome journey.

<>

Are you coming to the ADVrider campout at my place in CT Oct 24-25-26 now that you are back on the East Coast? All ADVers are welcome. It was a blast last month (you were already on the road) and I know you are local...might be a good place to catch up with other ADVers and have them buy you those beers...

...your turn to be the life of the party since a bird tells me it's your BIRTHDAY weekend as well...

The thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387570
Well DUH!!!
Of course I'll be there!

Thanks for the invite too.
(Not that I let little things like invitations get in the way. )

Q~
Old 10-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #163
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Day 37: Friday October 10th

Well after a night of wrenching at Mr. Von Badens place, I headed to the Aberdeen Prooving Grounds to see the infamous "Atomic Cannon".

It was a short hop up I-95 and I was at the Army base that housed the Museum I have been wanting to see for the past couple of years. I knew it had some historical ordinance, but I was still quite impressed.

As I rolled up to the security gate, they asked me where my vest was.
I told them it was too hot to wear my electric vest, and that it was in the top case of my bike. The guard was NOT impressed. Honestly, I had no idea what he was talking about. I wanted to see the Ordinance museum, not put on a fashion show.

It turns out, any motorcycle on the Army base needed to have a reflective vest. So I pulled a U-turn and headed to Wal-Mart. $7.18 later, I was a fashionably dressed guy, returned to the base, and was admitted.

At the entrance to the Muesum I saw this big bomb.

and I liked the stencil...

I went inside the museum.

The collection was quite complere and kept me enthralled for hours.
Everything from muzzle loaders, to water cooled machine guns, to hand greanades, and flechette loads...
Some of the old cannons were quite cool.

Guns like this were cool too.

But look out, Questor got his hands on a M-16. (First a Titan Missile, and now an M-16. Don't piss Questor off. )

Then I went outside and started checking out all the tanks...

It turns out that the word "tank" was code. The british did not want the Gremans to know about the new secret weapon they were working on durring WWI, and the final machines were assembled indoors, and kept covered while shipped. They wanted the Germans to think that they were making water tanks...

But anyway, enough education, back to the pictures...

One of my favorites, the good 'ol Sherman. I was brought up watching the movie "Sahara" with Humphrey Bogart. It's a classic about the twin Cadillac engine powered tank that gets caught behind enemy lines in the Saharh desert. You should see it if you get the chance. It was great to see one in person.

More tanks.

Then some bigger guns.

And this massive German cannon on rails from WWII.

And then, the main reason for my visit...

Look at the size of this thing. What an insane idea...

Before I left the museum, I had to use the bathroom. Even it was cool.

The plan was to spend the night with ADV rider "Skyclad" and the roads to his place were very nice, and put me in a peaceful mood.

The terrain, and roads reminded me of home. My destination for tomorrow.

Skyclad is a great guy with a very nice family, including the dog, whose name I forget. (Sorry.)

We all went out for a great BB-Q rib dinner, and returned for to his house for a great nights sleep.
Thanks again "Skyclad".

Stats for the day: 167 miles. Moving avg. 46.7. Moving time, 3:34. Stopped. 4:46 (mostly at the museum.), Total, 8:21.

Next, the final day home...
Q~

Questor screwed with this post 01-10-2009 at 07:14 AM
Old 10-11-2008, 05:25 PM   #164
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Day 38: Sat Oct 11th

Well today was the final day of my trip.

I left "Skyclad's" place near York PA, and crossed this near bridge that crossed the Susquehanna River. In the past I had only seen it as I drove the Interstate I-30.

The ride to Home in CT was fairly uneventful.
However, I got closer to Home, the trees became more colorful with the Fall foliage.

As I got closer to Home, I saw familiar landmarks.

The last road of my trip.

and "Beasties" house.

It was wonderful to be home, and it only felt like I'd been gone a week.
Dinner was a momentus occasion.

I'll update this Ride Report with Trip Total details such as total miles, and costs tomorrow.

But for today: Stats: 316 miles. Moving Avg. 58.7. Moving Time 5:23 Stopped 0:39 Total 6:03.

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 10-16-2008 at 11:33 AM
Old 10-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #165
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:

After about 4 -5 hours of that, we had to make some time and took I-40 east to Knoxville TN. There was construction going on so I again told the GPS to take secondary roads. BIG mistake. We were routed onto hwy 441, through the center of town, and through the longest section of suburban sprawl I have ever experienced. I'm not exagerating, for 15+ miles I hit a stoplight every 1/10th of a mile. I nearly lost my mind. The bike started getting hot, and my temper went off the chart. I thought I had mellowed out with age, and rid myself of my terrible temper I used to have, but it all came back with a vengeance. After 5+ years of being a new 'peaceful' enlightened person it all boiled away...
But anyway, I digress...

Q~
I experienced the same thing on the final leg of a trip I took, but I'm convinced it had more to do with feeling like I was on a schedule than the actual delays I experienced. A week earlier, and I don't think the delays would've bothered me much at all.

Glad you made it home safe. I enjoyed your RR.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote