ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #811
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!

Oddometer: 1,757
Did some maintenance on the GS the past 2 weeks, got it back together at 2am (the riding bug bites hardest just before a hard freeze), and the damn thing is running on one cylinder. I had a client out that way this afternoon, but now I guess I won't be getting this one.
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #812
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Himself
Did some maintenance on the GS the past 2 weeks, got it back together at 2am (the riding bug bites hardest just before a hard freeze), and the damn thing is running on one cylinder. I had a client out that way this afternoon, but now I guess I won't be getting this one.
I wouldn't be so sure about that...
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #813
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIW
nope - you did fine. Some of the inmates are suffering from the cold which has reduced their mental faculties
Hey, I ride EVERY day and it was 21F this morning
If not snowing hard or raining, I am on a bike. Problem is when I get home the last thing I wanna do is get BACK ON the bike to run for a tag! Should be nice and cool tomorrow morning.
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #814
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOff
If not snowing hard or raining, I am on a bike. Problem is when I get home the last thing I wanna do is get BACK ON the bike to run for a tag! Should be nice and cool tomorrow morning.
You are a better man than me! I plead old age, poor circulation... hmmm, what else can I blame...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #815
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Ding, me to. A couple years ago I rode to work in 6 degrees. That's about my lower limit for the 45 minutes it takes to get to work
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #816
Carl.Custer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
[Carl]: I hear you.
I commuted (luckily to balmy downtown) year around. On colder mornings, I set a heat lamp shining on the carbs when I got the paper. By the time I had skimmed the first section and downed the coffee, the Sabre was ready-to-go.

I've ridden in rain, cold rain, snow (8" one time), and sleet (cow-bunga). But now in my dotage (1940 vintage), if I don't have to, I ain't gonna.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #817
CapoGreg
Felonious Helmet Cam

Oddometer: 614
19 degrees today and the Capo wouldn't start, just cranked over real slow. Too bad, because I was really thinking about this one today since I got out of work early and now know where it is.

2006 Aprilia Caponord "L'Altra Donna"
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S "Bear"
1978 Yamaha DT 125E "Pig Pen"
1976 Honda CB750K
2006 Kawasaki Mule 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzirider
The GS is, on paper, a better bike, but I don't buy bikes made of paper.
Save $5 on SmugMug account with code: L4im8C7MUjvgQ
CapoGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:36 PM   #818
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,472
TAG.
I couldn't stand to see it there so long.
It was 18 degrees. Details in a bit, along with the new target!
Bob

Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #819
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Bonus Points!

and at night too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
TAG.
I couldn't stand to see it there so long.
It was 18 degrees. Details in a bit, along with the new target!
Bob

Old 01-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #820
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164

They gotta be blue. But he's got 'em. You da man..... Whoa...... The shrinkage factor....
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #821
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
So what kind of gear do you have for this weather? I rode a little today around Towson after work to make sure the battery didn't go dead and nearly froze.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #822
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,472
So here's the "Rest of the Story"

I got the kitchen pass at 4pm, grabbed the camera, and left Damascus. We used to 4-wheel in the area 25-30 years ago when it was really undeveloped, so I had a pretty good idea where I was going. Rather than going the way that the clues had been posted, it was shorter to come in from the north. Turned onto Mt. Ephraim Rd at Park Mills and the locals need to hunt more, as one doe had to be nearly a 200 pounder. Anyway, it's dusk and I'm within a half-mile of the church when I came to this water crossing the road:

Every car coming through had spread the running water & ice, so the ice was probably 1-2" thick and up the hills up either side. Truly slick. Got off and was trying to kick some gravel and sand on it when some guy comes from the other side in a little Corolla and splashes water to where you see the bike. Now it's water on ice and a skating rink.

Discretion being the better part of not having to replace plastic and with it still being somewhat light, I ended up going back and around, down to Dickerson, and in from the south. So yes it was dark when I shot the church photo. Even with a Gerbing jacket and gloves, my toes were getting cold and it was sure was nice to get back to a warm house.

btw, for record keeping, the tag was properly at the south end of Buckeystown's postal area, Frederick County, on Mt. Ephraim Rd. It's southwest of the peak of Sugarloaf and most maps seem to show the pond behind the church.

Now for the new tag. It's a first. The tags have so stayed in our immediate neighborhood, I checked with the first pages of the game and this one was OK. Besides, the area was cut from Maryland and there've been several tags in Bal'mo & other citified places.

With that, TA-DA the new location is between a trashcan and water fountain to the east/southeast of a slightly prominent landmark. (The fountain is slightly hidden by my topcase.) A nice place for the touristas to line up.

I took the photo just a few days ago as preparations for Tuesday were getting underway. The trashcan may be missing for a few days, but the water fountain will be there & notice the footpath coming up the hill for orientation. I figure that folks from southern and eastern Md can get this one.

Even in regular times, this one is time dependant. (That's a clue.) Bonus points for tagging before Tuesday night. Good luck, take the shot quick, and get outa there fast!

Bob
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM   #823
Will DaBeast
Go United

Oddometer: 1,365
I work right down the street from this one.
BMWMOA #127619
Will DaBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #824
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,835
Nice job Wreckchecker! The little tiny pathetic water crossing (though obviously nasty when iced over) was the first one I had ever come across, years ago.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #825
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Rules are easy...

#1 - Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.

#2 - Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history that can be found down some nice twisties.

#3 - Tag must be a) findable and b) not placed on a dirt road. Maintained gravel is OK, but make sure to let folks know that gravel is required to get to your tag. We don't want to exclude those who don't like to get dirty.

#4 - File photos are NOT permitted. You gotta ride to play this game.

#5 - No whining. If you have a valid sugestion to improve the game, we can listen to that. If you just wanna bitch and moan because you got Bruce'd, do it elsewhere.

Check post #53 for reference.
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote