Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #16
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Great pictures so far. I'd want to tour around on a DR350.
Go for it, sixer. Although I notice that you're currently "bikeless". DR350's are good bikes and can be picked up for not too much green. These little dualsports are just too much fun and satisfaction if you don't set your expectations too high.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM   #17
ADK
____

Oddometer: 7,976
Thumb

Cool pics. maybe you'd like to contribute to this thread also...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...pontiac+safari
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

I wandered the field for 15 or 20 minutes just looking around and taking pics..........

Here's that 8 lug wheel. I learned a great deal about Pontiac and their 8 lug wheels.

My personal favorite from this little photo essay on Rolling American Rust..................

I can't quite put a finger on it, but I really like the colors and contrasts. Hell of a hood ornament, huh?

I was kind of lost in my own little world of "Detroit Decaying" when I heard a voice behind me, "That's a 1965 Pontiac. A Grand Prix." I turned to see Delaney walking towards the barbed wire fence that separated his back yard from the "Field of Dreams". "The headlights 'r on top one another."

"I got another one a those up in th' trailer. An' it's in real good shape...not rusted at all. An' see that Ford pickup? Ya know what year that is?" He points past my shoulder to the '52 Ford.

"Well, it's either a '51 or '52." I replied.

Delaney says, "It's a '52. Take a look at th' fenders an' in th' bed. It was special designed for a cemetary. They loaded th' dirt in an' after th' coffin was placed they backed th' truck up an' dumped it, it's got a dump-bed."

And then it started, I was about to be bombarded with an endless stream of useful information on Early Americam Iron. The Pontiacs, the Mercs, the Fords, rear ends, headers, dual and triple carbs, horses, four speeds, manifolds, headlights, tail lights, signal lights, 8 lug wheels ( did I mention 8 lug wheels?) and on and on and on, complete with hand gestures.

And while he's talking to me over the fence I see a wonderful candid moment. I still had the camera around my neck and it was on! I glanced down at the lense and pointed it from my waist, hoping to get at least one good shot, and started firing. I was not disappointed.

Here's Delaney, at full stream and hitting his stride..............

After about 10 minutes of this he took me to the back of a semi trailor, unlocked it and swung open the doors. It was full of parts. Fenders, visors, wheels, complete manifold sets...with dual and triple carbs, doors, windshields and more. And he was more than happy to tell me about everything that I saw.

After he locked the trailor doors we started walking back towards the gate, with him telling me more and more. I was thinking that I would be going straight to the KLR for a quick getaway. "Not so fast, Kawasaki Breath".

I did get to the bike but my getaway was not quick! He started telling me about the 1974 Pontiac that he picked up out of the "Bulletin Board". He told me how much he paid, he talked about the interior and the engine and the paint and the wheels and...........................Get the picture?

At this point I know enough to start an auto company.

At this point I am an informed collector.

At this point I could write a book on Pontiac 8 lug wheels.

And at this point I'm looking at Delaney Atkins, his voice barely audible, and I'm thinking........... "Dude. Where's the kill switch! You have to have a kill switch. Human beings just can't motor on like this. Where is it!?"

Bless his heart. He just needed someone to talk to and I just happened to be that someone. So before you give me hell for being rough on Delaney, understand that I was not rude or unpleasant. I talked with him and was interested in what he had to say and our visit turned out to be a nice interlude in this ride.

Rust on, Delaney, rust on.

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 03:39 PM
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #19
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrmike
Great start Denny.

Subscribed

Sorry 'bout the late PM
Thanks Mike. No problem. I found some really good riding and made it back in less than two pieces.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK
Cool pics. maybe you'd like to contribute to this thread also...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...pontiac+safari

Thanks for the link ADK. Good stuff there.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM   #21
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

I was finally able to get him wound down to the point where he stuck out his hand and introduced himself. We shook hands, I gave him my name, said goodbye and was on my way.

As I wheeled the KLR onto 75 and shifted through the gears a big smile stretched across my face as I slowly shook my head.

And we all know why.......thanks "Car Guy".

A few parting shots.........

I headed east on SR74 to SR47 then to SR33. I wanted to make some time because one of my destinations for today was the Dolly Sods Wilderness.

A few sights along the way....

Here's something you don't see everyday.

I believe that was on SR47 somewhere............if anyone is interested.

Notice how the landscape is changing from rolling hills to more rugged terrain. I passed through Buckhannon and Elkins then headed north on SR32 at Harman. Crossed a couple county roads to finally wind up on Forest Roads 19 and 75 which pass through the Sods.

One of the roads that takes you to the heart of Dolly Sods.......

And for my ADV friends, a little.............

History:
The Dolly Sods area was first explored by Thomas Lewis during a survey in 1746 to find the limits of Lord Fairfax’s land grant from the British Crown. The area was generally avoided as too impenetrable until the late 1800’s. The exploitation of West Virginia’s coal and timber resources got under way in the 1870’s and by the late 1890’s, the railroad had reached Davis, WV. In 1902, a band saw mill was built at Laneville, WV, with a railroad from the Dry Fork to service it. Logging camps sprang up throughout Dolly Sods as the virgin forest was cleared away to feed the hungry mills. By 1920, very little virgin forest remained in West Virginia. During this time, the Dahle family homesteaded a few acres in the area. By burning the logged areas once, they could get a good grass cover for grazing. These open fields were known as “Sods”. Unfortunately, the amount of slash left behind coupled with the drying of the rich, peat-like soil, and the continual sparks from the trains contributed to repeated burning. This killed the grass and left only bracken fern to grow, no good for man or beast. The Dahle family eventually moved on, leaving only their name behind, Americanized into “Dolly Sods”. The United States government purchased the first pieces of this area in 1916, adding it to the new and growing Monongahela National Forest. During the 1930’s Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees planted pine in an effort to reforest the area and prevent erosion and downstream flooding. In 1943, in a cooperative agreement with the army, the area was used as a practice artillery and mortar range and maneuver area before troops were sent to Europe to fight in World War II. See our special notice below for more on this. The area was designated into the National Wilderness Preservation System in 1975 with the passage of the so-called “Eastern Wilderness Act”. It is now managed under that law and the Wilderness Act of 1964 to be a place where protection of natural processes is the highest priority use for this area.

A must ride if you're ever in the area. More pics to come.

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-05-2008 at 08:33 PM
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #22
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

More pics to come...............like this..............
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 AM   #23
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO!
IRust on, Delaney, rust on.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 AM   #24
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 22,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO!
I've always been attracted to rugged landscapes and structures. Don't know why...just have.
Here here!

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:24 AM   #25
WFOhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Great pics as usual Denny. Keep it coming.

And remember, people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You. Me. Them. Everybody. - E. B. 1980
WFOhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:51 PM   #26
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

My day started in the fog and then turned absolutely Bee-yoooo-teee-ful.

By the time I was taking pics at Dolly Sods the weather was outstanding.

Forest Road 75, arrow straight for several miles, knifes through the center of the wilderness.............

I'll not bore you with any of my mundane commentary on this area. The history that I posted is interesting enough in and of itself.

About half way through the Sods the "Mist" rolled in making the ride and the pictures that much more pleasant.

I use the word mist although what I was actually riding in was the clouds. That just tells you how high the elevation in this area is.

Before leaving Dolly I signed in at visiters station located at the beginning of one of the foot trails............. ADVrider, Just GO!, was here.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:07 PM   #27
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Coming down off the plateau........

Headin' south on CR 28-7 then SR 28 towards Seneca Rocks and my final destination for the first day.

And finally, The Rocks........

Purchased by the federal government in 1969, Seneca Rocks is one of the best-known landmarks in West Virginia. These rocks have long been noted as a scenic attraction and are popular with rock climbers.
The rocks are a magnificent formation rising nearly 900 feet above the North Fork River. Eastern West Virginia contains many such formations of the white/gray Tuscarora quartzite. Seneca Rocks and nearby Champe Rocks are among the most imposing examples.

A samich for supper and a quiet place to sit and think over the days ride.

And an apple dumpling........................couldn't resist.

It were GOOOOOOD!

This little restaurant looks out on the rocks and the intersection of SR's 33 and 28. A rock climbing school and equipment store, once owned and ran by John Markwell, my host for the next two nights, is located nearby.

CONTRAST!

See if you can guess what these folks were riding. One guess per reader, please. Clues......it wasn't a BMW, KTM or a dual sport.

There are almost always climbers on the rocks. You can barely see them from the restaurant with your eye and that's if they are silhouetted against the sky.

I was just playing around with my camera when I took the next two pictures. The first one is with the lens zoomed back as far as possible for a wide angle.

Look at the rock formation. The north peak is to the left and (Mister Obvious) the south peak is to the right...got that?

I then zoomed in as far as possible on the south peak, because I could see climbers at the top, and shot this pic..............

Cool, huh? Digi Cams rawk!

You can clearly see the two dudes on top of the rock with their climbing line stretched between them.

But wait. There's more! At least two more climbers. Can you find them? Happy hunting.

Harpers Store is located underneath the restaurant.
And Joe don't like him some bear!

The wooden plank bridge that leads to John and Helen's place....

And I absolutely love the sound it makes when you ride across it!

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-06-2008 at 07:46 PM
Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon
Here here!
Hey, goonie.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #29
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFOhillbilly
Great pics as usual Denny. Keep it coming.
Thanks hillbilly. But WV provided the pics I just captured them on a memory card.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #30
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

John and Helen are the last of a dying breed, I'm afraid. Helen hunts, camps, hikes and has travelled the Lewis and Clark trail several times. She probably knows more about the trail than Lewis OR Clark did.

John is a hunter, a climber, a shooter, a Montana camp cook (and a damn good one at that). He's rock climbed all over the U.S. and has the scars and bent fingers to prove it. When they talk about having done something you can believe that they........ "been there, done that".

When I called John to see if I could crash at his place he was more that glad to help and welcomed me without hesitation.

Truely a friendship worth treasuring!

When I pulled in they came out to meet me and brought me into the house. John was stirring some venison barbecue on the stove. "Have you eaten yet?"
"Yeah, I had a sandwich down at Harper's."
"Well, why did you do that? You have to have some venison. I'll get a plate."

So I had supper again and that was a darned good venison barbecue samich lemme tell ya!

But while John finished cooking, Helen asked if I wanted to ride along with her up to the "Deer Blind". I said sure, because I had heard of this legendary deer blind that John had build for her to hunt from.

So we jumped in the Kawasaki Mule and headed up the hill to the blind.