Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #31
VegasRider
Ya, I'm a n00b.

Oddometer: 296
I LOVE great ride reports like this from people on smaller bikes! Ride On!
1991 Suzuki VX800 - "Vixen" (my "project" bike) In the process of being adventurized.
2004 Harley Davidson XL1200C Sporty. "Athena"
VegasRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 04:07 AM   #32
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO!
This little restaurant looks out on the rocks and the intersection of SR's 33 and 28. A rock climbing school and equipment store, once owned and ran by John Markwell, my host for the next two nights, is located nearby.

You're friends with John Markwell and you've never summited the South Peak? Dooood! Get him to take you up Old Ladies route. Seriously!

Or better yet do the Gunsight-to-S.Peak (climbers visible to L in pics) - one of the East Coast's best "easy" climbs which will surely get your attention

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #33
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack
You're friends with John Markwell and you've never summited the South Peak? Dooood! Get him to take you up Old Ladies route. Seriously!

Or better yet do the Gunsight-to-S.Peak (climbers visible to L in pics) - one of the East Coast's best "easy" climbs which will surely get your attention
I ride........I don't climb!

Seriously though, John and Rod Hansen both have offered to take me up some of the easier routes. Just never have found the time. I have been out as far as you can go on the north peak and looked straight down 800 feet to the rocks below. Way cool!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #34
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Great ride report, Denny.

Your photography is always amazing. WV may provide the scenery, but you have certainly developed the talent to capture it.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #35
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
Great ride report, Denny.

Your photography is always amazing. WV may provide the scenery, but you have certainly developed the talent to capture it.

Thank ya , Dave.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #36
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah...........heading up the hill with Helen in the Mule to see the "deer blind".

Now this is a more typical deer blind.....

Just a rudamentary shelter to get in out of the elements while hunting deer.

This is what Helen wound up with to get in out of the elements while hunting deer...................

I'm told that it began as a basic lowly typical blind and that one thing led to another and this is the final product.

John calls it the deer blind, Helen calls it her "Fur Trappers Cabin".

She spends her quiet time up here reading, fishing, relaxing and sometimes even hunting deer.

Notice the small, opened bible on the table? It is an antique and the print is so small that she has to read it with the magnifying glass that is lying just to the right of it.

Two hand made, cedar beds upstairs...........

It's small....I don't imagine that the interior is any more than 12X14.
Just the right size, Helen says.

And complete with all the comforts of home........

And there was a campfire outside...more about that in chapter two.

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-26-2008 at 04:27 PM
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #37
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

We finally headed back to the house where John had the venison barbecue waiting. We ate, watched some news on TV and then John and I retired to the Gun Room and just talked for a while.

He asked if I would be able to take a "care package" for a mutual friend back to Marietta with me and I said that I could as long as it would fit into my backpack. John and he have been out to Zortman, Montana a few times on prairie dog hunting trips.

At the end of everyday I documented the days mileage on the little KLR................

Not bad considering all of the times I stopped to take pics or get educated about........................Pontiac 8 lug wheels.

Day one was behind me and I was really looking forward to Chapter Two.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #38
WFOhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Great pics and well written. Can't wait for more.

And remember, people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You. Me. Them. Everybody. - E. B. 1980
WFOhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #39
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Chapter Two.

Chapter 2.....

"Bad roads, rivers and bears, Oh my!"
"Holy Caveman! Where art thou?!"
"DEER!"
"Of cowboys and rock climbing."

I was dressed (no teabaggin' here) and on the bike before anyone else was up. I wanted to take a short ride back up to the "Blind" just to be in that cool mountain air.

Seneca Rocks in the morning mist..........

I chased a few wild turkeys..........

I did not turn left..........

That would have taken me about 200 yards to the creek below.....straight down.

Took a couple other pics along the way.........

I returned to the house a little while later, had coffee with John and he helped me find some good riding for the coming day.

He had told me in an earlier phone call that he could point me in the right dual sport direction. As he was looking at the Atlas & Gazetteer that I was using for a GPS (sorry techno-d00ds, I don't own one ) for the right roads I let my attention focus on his legendary Gun Room.

The room is an outdoorsmans paradise...it just reeks of firearms, hunting, rock climbing, reloading, and the history of a lifetime of a man thoroughly enjoying his life the way he wants to live it.

Pictures documenting his life are scattered everywhere, littering the tables, walls and ceiling. I happened to notice one of John and three others that they had taken during a recent hunting trip to Montana...............

Hi, Don!

Now I don't know why but I think that is one cool picture!

And the scary thing is...............all four of those nutz are friends of mine.

My attention eventually drifted back to John.............."Now where is that road? There's a really good one up around Canaan Valley............Yeah, here it is!"

He grabs a highlighter and as well as he can with fingers bent from years of rock climbing he traces a route for me. This is it............

Forest Road 13...Canaan Loop.

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-29-2008 at 08:17 PM
Old 09-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #40
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

So what?, you ask. FR13?

Well I thought that it was interesting that John marked out that road on my map because I had booked marked that same road in my mind for this days riding.

And I wanted to ride that road because of this.

Thanks Mike and Kay.

He pointed out several other routes that I might want to ride, I grabbed my gear and was off on another day of ADVriding.

A few pics along the way to FR13...........

For what it's worth...........

The only modification that I made to the KLR before the trip was to install a 16 tooth front sprocket. I feel that it made a big difference on how the bike performed with the type of riding that I was going to be doing.
Before changing the sprocket to 16 teeth at 60 mph the tac was reading about 500 rpm more than shown.

The li'l 250 thanked me.

I really like this one.....................

I filled up here because I had heard the gas prices were going up! I wanted to take advantage of the good price.

There I go.........

KLR twacks.......
Old 09-08-2008, 03:37 PM   #41
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

John had warned me that FR13 would be easy to miss if I were going north on 32, which I was. I was thinking that maybe I had gone past it at one point so I decided to do the un-manly thing of stopping to ask where I could find the road.

I stopped at a VFD that had a few cars in the parking lot, took off my helmet and gloves and went in.
I didn't see anyone when I first went in but there was a door in the back and I could see a light was on and I could also hear voices. I went in and found myself in a larger room where 3 women were talking.

I think I startled them a little but when they found out that I was harmless they were very friendly. I explained why I was there and asked if any of them knew where I could find Forest Road 13. None of them knew.

I was explaining to them in more detail about the road....heading north you had to turn left to get on it and it went in a loop to Black Water Falls area......... when one of them asked if it might be called Canaan Loop. "Yep, that's it." I said.

They knew where that was and told me exactly how to get there. One of them asked if I were planning on riding my motorcycle on the road and I of course said that I was.

And they just couldn't believe that. One of them said, "You have to be careful, that's a real bad road. It's got gravel and dirt and you can barely get a four wheel drive across it. It's a bad road."

I smiled at her, said nothing and gave her a thumbs up.

Another said, "Yeah, and you have to cross several rivers on it! It has two or three rivers that go across the road, it's dangerous."

The third lady then said, "That's the road where they have been seeing a lot of bears...watch out for the black bears. They saw two of them just last week. We see more bears in the summer because they come and get in the dumpsters for food thrown away by the campers."

"That's just what I looking for." I said with a grin, which led to them just smiling and shaking their heads at me.

I thanked them but before I left I coaxed them into poseing for a picture. Two were not shy at all but we had to convince the other to join the two of them. "Come on over here and get in the picture." I said. I'm documenting my ride and need you in the picture also. I'm going to put these pictures all over the internet when I get home." They just laughed and she finally came over and I took this picture of them before I left..............

The one in the middle was on her way to the Mountaineer football game as is evident by her polo shirt.

It was a fun little visit. We were strangers and friends at the same time and times like this make travelling that much more enjoyable.

As I headed north towards Canaan heights and FR13, I be darned if I know why, but this phrase crept into my head and started running over and over............

Bad roads, rivers and bears, Oh my!
Bad roads, rivers and bears, Oh my!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #42
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Thumb

I'm loving this report. Iv'e also run into many an old guy with cars in his yard that starts a long tale of the ups and downs of automotive design over the course of multiple decades upon me asking a single question. I actually find these old gents pretty fascinating, but I also knwo what its like when you have to get going but the haven't finished telling you of all of the merits of a International Harvester Travelall that's decomposing in their yard.

I also really like that you're doing this on a 250 dual sport, I'd love to take the same trip.
XS500RUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #43
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,550
Looking good, Denny, looking real good!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #44
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS
I'm loving this report. Iv'e also run into many an old guy with cars in his yard that starts a long tale of the ups and downs of automotive design over the course of multiple decades upon me asking a single question. I actually find these old gents pretty fascinating, but I also knwo what its like when you have to get going but the haven't finished telling you of all of the merits of a International Harvester Travelall that's decomposing in their yard.

I also really like that you're doing this on a 250 dual sport, I'd love to take the same trip.

I can now say to you.................................Been there, done that.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #45
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah
Looking good, Denny, looking real good!
Thanks, Meef. But there was one important piece of gear that I forgot to take along.......my assless chaps.

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-08-2008 at 09:14 PM