User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #46
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Forest Road 13 AKA Canaan Loop

I didn't quite know what to expect on this leg of my little journey. I was slightly apprehensive. Because you see....I'm a n00b when it comes to off road riding.

I can take just about anything the asphalt jungle can throw at me but I'm very cautious, and timid, I guess when the asphalt stops.

I knew there were some water crossing from Kaylr's RR, although they didn't look too bad, and some steep rocky sections also. The worst that could happen I guess was that I could turn around and high tail it because of my lack of off-road skills. Or if I happened to be attacked by one of those black bears.

Anyway here's my version of FR13...............

This is a "bad road".........

This is a "river"............

And I'll show you a "bear" in a few pics.

I stopped at one point at a foot trail...the sign read, "Table Rock".....1.2 miles....that-a-way. Table Rock...sounds cool. So I decided to take a hike.

I walked back the trail................

for a couple hundred yards............

and then I decided that that was enough hiking for one day and I turned around to go back. Motorcycle riding, I had learned from my 200 yard trek, was much more gooder than walkin'.

About half way back to the KLR I stopped. I looked around. I listened.

There were no birds singing or chirping, there was no wind, not even the SLIGHTEST breeze, there were absolutely no sounds coming from the forest...at all! Nothing.

This was very spooky. I kept perfectly still and listened for a long time....and heard.....nothing. I was truthfully a little frightened.

SO I STARTED RUNNING LIKE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though it was kind of strange to be out in the woods like that and not be able to hear at least a bird or two.

This was a little tricky.....for me at least.......

Down hill on slickery rocks.

But I made it...............looking back....

Another river to cross..............

and there I go again.......

Great form, huh? I got half way to Spruce Knob before I remembered that I had left my camera back at this water crossing.

So good so far. I hadn't dropped the bike or crashed into any trees. The road wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe although for my fledgling skills there had been challenges.........I was having fun!

Until I saw my "bear"......and it was about one mile from the end of this 13 mile road.

Now just what, I asked myself, was I supposed to do with this?

The answer came quickly. Plan "A".... I reached into my backpack, grabbed the cell and punched in 4-659-228-3626. But wait, I forgot something. I was in the middle of Nowhere and that city has NO cell service. Holycaveman, where art thou?

No problem....Plan "B"....I'll just walk up to that "bear", grab kaholtz of that smaller limb and break it off. That should allow me to (maybe...remember my n00b skills?) jump the bike over the smaller end of the log.

Well that didn't work either. You see I'm a little dood and I just didn't possess enough arse to move that limb enough to break it off. But it wasn't for trying, I'll tell ya! Note to self.....next trip pack a rope saw!

So at this point I'm at plan "C". Now there was the plan of turning around and going back about 12 miles to get to SR32 again. But that plan was somewhere around "X", "Y", or "Z"!!!!

I stepped back to survey the situation. The embankment was too steep and knarly for me to go up and around the stump from where the tree had broken. But the log had fallen on an angle. Was there enough room at the right for me to squeeze the KLR under the tree?

I measured the height of the bike....chest high at the mirrors (which could be removed if need be). (At least I was smart enough to bring tools.) I walked up the bank and took note of the height of the log....chest high.

Hope builds.

Back at the bike I walked the path that I would take over a mild ditch, up the bank, across the hillside several yards, under the tree and back down the other side to continue my journey.

Most of you would have been to Blackwater Falls State Park by now but I was sweating knobbies.

Well to make a short story long, Plan "C" worked.

And here's proof.................
Over the ditch and up the bank........(more KLR twacks) ....

across the hillside several yards............

under the tree and back down the other side.

I'm really not sure why these last three pics are blurry. I think it was because by the time I was taking them I was shaking like a dog pooping razorblades!

I had to load the front suspension by holding the brake to squeeze the bike under...no mirror removal.

On the other side at last, I felt it necessary to let this "bear" know without any doubt that I had just kicked it's ass. So before I straddled the mighty KLR250 I turned and with a grin born of victory..........I SALUTED!

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-08-2008 at 10:13 PM
Just GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:07 PM   #47
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,314
I'm loving this RR More, please, no pretty please with sugar on it!
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #48
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,879
You need more practice on tree crossing, Denny.

But why didn't you just throw that thing on your back and hike up the road?

Keep the ride report coming. Great stuff.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #49
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-950
You need more practice on tree crossing, Denny.

But why didn't you just throw that thing on your back and hike up the road?

Keep the ride report coming. Great stuff.
You mean like you do with your GSA?

That plan was somewhere around "H", "I", or "J".

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 06:25 AM
Old 09-09-2008, 05:09 AM   #50
FireMike
n00b

Oddometer: 1
great report I need me some 250 dirt bike
FireMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #51
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
Thumb Good Stuff

I'm enjoying this report, the pictures, the stories, the people and the history. Thanks for taking time to share and I will be watching for the rest of the story......

Tiny bikes ROCK!!!!
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #52
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
West [By God ] Virgina

The best trip reports I've seen are always on KLR 250 , it must be the bike , great ride! great story, and pictures! send us more! Would my DRZ400 S work on that trip or do I need a smaller bike ? [250] CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #53
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
I'm enjoying this report, the pictures, the stories, the people and the history. Thanks for taking time to share and I will be watching for the rest of the story......

Tiny bikes ROCK!!!!
Thanks, Bug. The little KLR was a hoot!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:32 PM   #54
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

"Deer!"

After the logging episode I motored on without incident through Blackwater park and then north on SR32. I then headed west on SR219....I wanted to make a little time at this point. I wanted to get to Spruce Knob ASAP so I could have plenty of time to explore the county and forest roads in that area.

Along the way........

"Misty taste of moonshine, Teardrop in my eye."
Huh?...Now how did that get in here?

I passed these wind turbines around lunch time so I stopped to eat and to stand in awe of them!

They are way bigger than they look on TV!

Several cages stopped while I was there and people got out to take pictures.
If you ever get a chance to get close to one of these things....do it. They are huge!

The blades themselves are probably 100 feet long so you can imagine how tall the complete turbines are. They were turning at about one revolution every six seconds with very little breeze blowing.

That doesn't sound very fast until you watch the speed of the blades at their tips. You could hear the blades cutting through the air as they passed over your head.

I know because I jumped the gate, walked up to the base of one and took a picture looking straight up to the top..........

I'd like to see what a 45 mph wind would do to these things!

I took SR 72 east and then SR 32 south back to Harman. These next few pictures were taken along the way...........but don't ask me where because I really have not a clue.

Once at Harman I hit SR 33 and then went south on CR 29 which would take me to Spruce.

Theres pics were taken on CR 29. I do know that much.
I thought it was odd the way these were growing.....

Skinny little tree people running along a creek bank.

At this point me and the little KLR were moving along like a herd of turtles but I did manage to stop and smell the flowers.

I turned left onto Forest Road 1......

Then right onto FR 112. I turned up this road which was called Summit Road just to see where it ended up.......I had no idea.

It dead ended on the summit ( go figger ) of a mountain...it turned out to be a private drive as there were several homes at the top but I saw no one around. So I helped myself and took some pictures. It also turned out to have a very nice view and I got a cool picture of an old retired truck.

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 07:42 PM
Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #55
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Heading north now on route 28.....

to CR 28-10 North........

Upon reaching FR 112 again I turned right and on to Spruce Knob. The skies were hazy and the visibility was not that great, but.....

I took pictures anyway!

Spruce Knob....West Virginia's highest elevation at 4,863 feet. Looking out over these mountains that seem to cover the world is a fine way to spend time alone. The air is clean, the views are spectacular and the world seems as if it might go on forever.

Then my attention is drawn to another world. The world at my feet........

I'm not sure why or even how I noticed this little guy, but I'm sure glad that I did!

I think it was the thistle flower that first caught my eye and then I saw the bee. He was so caught up in his own little world that he never even noticed me.

He danced circles around that flower stopping ever so briefly to draw the nectar. I was hoping that I could get at least one good picture before he took off so I got as close as I could and followed. I must have made 6 or 7 circles around that flower, bent over at the waist, knees bent, camera to my eye. If anyone would have seen me from a distance they would have thought I was off my medication!

I got two......

I've only seen thumbnails of these two pictures until now...........striking. Possibly the best photos of this whole trip.

Thanks little dood...for posing for ADVrider.

Now back to our world.....

Coming down off the mountain, a couple switchbacks............

Not sure why this was here, but it moved me.

Heading north on SR 28 back to Seneca Rocks.....

Back at Harpers store I notice this........

Now someone is heading for some serious camping! And there was another not-so-loaded jeep behind that one.

They said they were only camping for one night and that they were going to rope it up to the top of Seneca Rocks. Check out all of that gear!

Back at John's place I logged the days mileage...

and walked into the house.

John asked "Have you eaten yet?"
"No." says I, I caught hell last night because I ate before I got here. I'm starving, I've been adventure riding all day!"

To which he replies, "You want some venison?"

Well, yes I would and was I ever surprised!

I told him I was going to wash up and he said that he would put a plate out. I went upstairs over the garage/gun room where my room was to clean up and get out of my riding gear. When I came back down I found this note attached to the stair railing....

I went back into the house , John was not around, and sat down at the bar where my plate was waiting. And I had "DEER!"

A nice sized tenderloin about an inch and a half thick, cooked on the grill, fresh tomatoes from their garden and fresh corn and green beans from their garden.

Now I don't know if it was because I was so hungry from wrestling "bears" and dancing with bees but man, that deer steak was DELICIOUS!

Tender, juicy and delicious! I told John later that I didn't remember ever paying for a steak that good.

After I ate I just rested a while before going up on the hill to the cabin (deer blind) and it was beginning to get dark when I jumped on the bike to head up.

When I got there John and Helen were both sitting by the campfire talking. I walked over and sat down.

They were talking about some past adventure out west when I asked how they ever met. Well that led to a 10 minute Mini-Markwell history.

And I enjoyed every minute. They interact very well with one another. At some point Helen ask John if he remembered the time they went to the Tetons to climb and camp. And that led to more stories.

I just sat and listened, in the fading light, with my ever present camera on my knee as they talked.

Helen remembered that she and her friend went into town to have a drink and she got hit on by a cowboy. He bought her drinks and sweet talked her until she finally told him she had to get back to her husband.

John said, "Yeah, I was tied to a ledge for the night on top of the Tetons after rock climbing all day and you were back in town making time with cowboys."

Back and forth they went with me an innocent by-stander, their faces aglow in the campfire light, reminiscing "of cowboys and rock climbing".

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-09-2008 at 10:06 PM
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #56
wide track
Banned

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO!
I was finally able to get him wound down to the point where he stuck out his hand and introduced himself. We shook hands, I gave him my name, said goodbye and was on my way.

As I wheeled the KLR onto 75 and shifted through the gears a big smile stretched across my face as I slowly shook my head.

And we all know why.......thanks "Car Guy".

A few parting shots.........

I headed east on SR74 to SR47 then to SR33. I wanted to make some time because one of my destinations for today was the Dolly Sods Wilderness.

A few sights along the way....

Here's something you don't see everyday.

I believe that was on SR47 somewhere............if anyone is interested.

Notice how the landscape is changing from rolling hills to more rugged terrain. I passed through Buckhannon and Elkins then headed north on SR32 at Harman. Crossed a couple county roads to finally wind up on Forest Roads 19 and 75 which pass through the Sods.

One of the roads that takes you to the heart of Dolly Sods.......

And for my ADV friends, a little.............

History:
The Dolly Sods area was first explored by Thomas Lewis during a survey in 1746 to find the limits of Lord Fairfax’s land grant from the British Crown. The area was generally avoided as too impenetrable until the late 1800’s. The exploitation of West Virginia’s coal and timber resources got under way in the 1870’s and by the late 1890’s, the railroad had reached Davis, WV. In 1902, a band saw mill was built at Laneville, WV, with a railroad from the Dry Fork to service it. Logging camps sprang up throughout Dolly Sods as the virgin forest was cleared away to feed the hungry mills. By 1920, very little virgin forest remained in West Virginia. During this time, the Dahle family homesteaded a few acres in the area. By burning the logged areas once, they could get a good grass cover for grazing. These open fields were known as “Sods”. Unfortunately, the amount of slash left behind coupled with the drying of the rich, peat-like soil, and the continual sparks from the trains contributed to repeated burning. This killed the grass and left only bracken fern to grow, no good for man or beast. The Dahle family eventually moved on, leaving only their name behind, Americanized into “Dolly Sods”. The United States government purchased the first pieces of this area in 1916, adding it to the new and growing Monongahela National Forest. During the 1930’s Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees planted pine in an effort to reforest the area and prevent erosion and downstream flooding. In 1943, in a cooperative agreement with the army, the area was used as a practice artillery and mortar range and maneuver area before troops were sent to Europe to fight in World War II. See our special notice below for more on this. The area was designated into the National Wilderness Preservation System in 1975 with the passage of the so-called “Eastern Wilderness Act”. It is now managed under that law and the Wilderness Act of 1964 to be a place where protection of natural processes is the highest priority use for this area.

A must ride if you're ever in the area. More pics to come.

Good report great photos but.............................

I know time marches on and sometimes new is better than old, but it upsets me to see a lot of once good cars simply siting there going to hell.
wide track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #57
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS
The best trip reports I've seen are always on KLR 250 , it must be the bike , great ride! great story, and pictures! send us more! Would my DRZ400 S work on that trip or do I need a smaller bike ? [250] CMS
Indeed, a smaller bike.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #58
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 489

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #59
cliffhanger
hasbeen

Oddometer: 365
This is too cool.
You're riding around in my back yard, hanging out with my old climbing buds and visiting the Canaan Valley Fire Dept that my self and fellow ADV inmate WVrocks are members of.
It never ceases to amaze me how ADVrider makes this world smaller everyday.

Thanks for sharing.
Neal
cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #60
Just GO! OP
Countersteer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger
This is too cool.
You're riding around in my back yard, hanging out with my old climbing buds and visiting the Canaan Valley Fire Dept that my self and fellow ADV inmate WVrocks are members of.
It never ceases to amaze me how ADVrider makes this world smaller everyday.

Thanks for sharing.
Neal

ADV rawks!

Chapter 3 coming up.

Just GO! screwed with this post 09-10-2008 at 11:30 AM