Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #121
DR BrianO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb Great RR and Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO! View Post
I kept track of a few details on this ride just for my own use. It's all just so much fluff, I guess, but I thought I'd post the info anyway. Someone other than myself might find it useful or interesting.

The ride was 5 days long and I traveled 1,101.4 miles.

Average of 220 miles a day.

The highest mileage of any day was 273 miles....day 3.

The lowest was 180....day 2.

I used 15.4 gallons of gas.

That equates to just over 71 mpg.

Cost for gasoline was about $59.00..........

The little KLR250 was a very good companion indeed. I was a little surprised at how well the bike handled everything but then again I guess that's why the design lasted 20 years virtually unchanged. It's just a cool little unit.

It was surprisingly comfortable and I only felt a little fatigued at the end of the longer days. I'm small in stature..... so maybe that's one reason the bike seems to fit so well. Kinda wish it had a magic button sometimes but if you keep 'em tuned they start very easily.

The 16 tooth sprocket helped on roads where the speeds were higher....rpm's run about 500 less than the original 15 tooth sprocket.
But you can definately feel the loss of power in the slow stuff. It is also the only modification I have made to the bike.

After the ride I changed the oil. Not out of necessity but just because I felt that the li'l thumper had had a pretty good workout.

Oh, and I need new tires now.......soon.........

One thing I noticed about the air temperature change between riding where I live and riding in the mountains is that it's opposite.

Marietta is about 600 feet above sea level.....when you ride the ridges here the air is warmer and the valleys are cooler.

In the mountains the elevation was around 3,000 feet and the air temp. change was just the opposite............it was kind of funny to hit a hill and start climbing and feel the air get cooler.

The most important piece of gear that I took was the West Virginia Atlas and Gazetteer. Not having a GPS (I'm still a little ol' skool) the maps were indispensable. It also shows far more roads than a regular fold-out state map............forest and county roads. It was a bit inconvenient though as I carried it in my backpack and had to stop, get off the bike and remove it from the B.P. every time I used it.
Second most important piece of gear.............my trusty Fuji camera.

The only item that I wished I had on the trip (other than a rope saw for untimely logs ) was a tank bag. I'm a big fan of tank bags but for one reason or another I just haven't picked one up for the KLR yet.

And now for the most difficult part of this ride.

It wasn't the planning or the preparation, it wasn't riding out in the fog the first morning or riding in the rain on day 3, it wasn't being schooled in the fine art of automobile design by Delaney Atkins and it wasn't having to deal with "bad roads, rivers and bears" or fallen trees.

No, the hardest part of the trip was...............putting a Ride Report together and having it not sound and look like a 3-year-old did it.

Try it sometime....you'll see what I mean.

And this RR is miniscule, tiny, insignificant and puny compared to some I've read here on ADVrider.

I really admire what some people can do on a motorcycle and maybe someday........................................... .....someday.

So there you have it...for what it's worth. If you're thinking about doing a tour on a smaller bike just remember that they have their limitations but if you plan your ride accordingly you'll be fine and so will the bike.

And............................................... ..............Just GO!

Awesome ride report, I have been trying to read all of the "minimalist" under 250cc reports. Your report is very well written with excellent pictures. I have a DR200 and have an awesome time on it, I am planning to do something very similar this summer with it.
DR BrianO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #122
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,709
Utter bump, but I was researching the Cass RR and this thread popped up.

Nice to read it again!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote