Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 10
Prevailing wind in the Gorge is West to east but every now and again we get a few days of easterly wind.

MKD, I live in The Dalles, OR and have been all over this area. I know the roads and sights you've shown quite well. The road from Glenwood down the Klickitat is great. Did you pass another 990 on your way from HWY 14 to The Dalles? If so, that was me! If not, then it was a weird coincidence that I passed another 990 that day. Anyway...the wind was about the worst I've ever ridden in...welcome to the Gorge.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #17
deerchser
Bowhunting on a bike

Oddometer: 146
I was just down in Trout Lake elk hunting a couple weeks ago. It is a very pretty area. NIce pics.

WHEN I SCREW-UP.....STOP LAUGHING LONG ENOUGH TO DIAL 911.......
deerchser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #18
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Kitty
Trout Lake, Salmon River and bolcanoes? I would give this ride report a perfect 10 but I must deduct for not having pictures of tuna sammiches. 9.9!
Sorry Adventure Kitty, I can tune a guitar but I can't tuna fish.

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
love it. have to hook up and ride up there together someday.
Sounds like a plan to me......

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Old 09-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #20
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
Sounds like a plan to me......
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL
Regarding wind along the Columbia, at this time of year is is west to east, or what?
Most of the summer it is west to east up the Gorge, in winter when it gets real cold on the east side it tends to reverse and come flowing out from the east.

The east wind was especially bad when I used to live in Troutdale at the western mouth of the Gorge...just to piss me off.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:21 PM   #22
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerchser
I was just down in Trout Lake elk hunting a couple weeks ago. It is a very pretty area. NIce pics.
Hope you left a few for us modern firearm guys...that's my hunting grounds as well.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk
Prevailing wind in the Gorge is West to east but every now and again we get a few days of easterly wind.

MKD, I live in The Dalles, OR and have been all over this area. I know the roads and sights you've shown quite well. The road from Glenwood down the Klickitat is great. Did you pass another 990 on your way from HWY 14 to The Dalles? If so, that was me! If not, then it was a weird coincidence that I passed another 990 that day. Anyway...the wind was about the worst I've ever ridden in...welcome to the Gorge.

is yours the Stealth black 990 with heco bags? my boss' son saw you and thought it was me. tried to chase you down on his ...Harley.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #24
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk

I do remember seeing another 990...we are such a rare breed in these parts that I usually do remember when I see another. It was on that stretch between the bridge and 14 when I was leaning at a thirty degree angle into the side wind...wasn't it?

We'll both have to hook up with Dagwood out there somewhere....someday.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #25
dagwood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
I do remember seeing another 990...we are such a rare breed in these parts that I usually do remember when I see another. It was on that stretch between the bridge and 14 when I was leaning at a thirty degree angle into the side wind...wasn't it?

We'll both have to hook up with Dagwood out there somewhere....someday.
cool. I'm in north Vantucky. off of saint johns.
Ping me next time you're gonna head out there.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #26
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Day two I decided to maximize Rule Two about new places and headed south from Tricities back across the border into Oregon. I have been all around the south central desert from Prineville south and east, but I had never gone north and east into north central Oregon. I decided to head to Prineville through the John Day Fossil Beds and a bunch of towns I’d read about in touring cycle magazines.

I wondered as I headed down 730 if the keepers of John Wayne’s trademarks were aware the Duke was hawking groceries in Umatilla, or was it Irrigon?

Although scary, I knew these signs were because of the nerve gas being stored at the Umatilla Army Depot whose many bunker I had already passed. The theory is if the nerve gas gets out they will sound sirens and you need to run like hell down the routes marked by these signs to escape….right!!! Let me know how that works out for you out there folks!

The next sign I had never seen before and was a bit more of a concern….

Did I really want to go down a road with that name?

Turns out the road runs for miles along the fence of ….

So okay, I’m riding down the edge of a Navy bomb range on a BRIGHT ORANGE BIKE….I kept looking at the horizon to make sure Top Gun wasn’t taking a bead on me. It seemed like a great excuse to see how the Adventure handled triple digit speed…

I was in the middle of nowhere anyway…

Does it get any flatter and straighter?

Just when I was resigned to a morning of straight lining down to the horizon a sign of hope pops up……TWISTIES!

I dropped into the bottoms of a creek beds and ravines and was surprised by some really fun riding where I only expected boredom.

I think this silo and lonely house constitute the entire town of Ruggs, but the twisties continued…what lacked in scenery was more than made up by the blast riding the roads.

The ravine twisties gave way to National Forest twisties….

Then down out of the forest into some more great riding and the valleys carved by the John Day River. I was totally jacked by the roads and totally spaced lunch ending up with a Diet Pepsi and Cherry Pie in Spray.

From Spray, it was right down along the river heading for the Painted Hills. I ran into a young couple on a new 1200 GS from up around Seattle who in the same manner I had decided to “head east” had decided themselves to just “head south.”

Eventually the first hints of the Painted Hills began to appear in the landscape.

After nearly a full day of great paved twisties, finally a few miles of gravel for the Adventure to get a little dusty…it likes that. The Painted hills were really cool, the pics just don’t do them justice.

Finally the run down to Prineville past Ochoco Reservoir to visit a good friend and excellent host known to this forum as Humunn of High Desert Adventures (insert shameless plug here--- highdesertadventures.net).

Next up Labor Day and some more volcanos...

Mad Kaw Disease screwed with this post 09-29-2008 at 07:39 PM
Old 09-29-2008, 07:59 PM   #27
airgord
What am I doing out here!

Oddometer: 844
Man, I really miss the NW! Did you ride the 141 from 14 to Husum and BZ corners? Used to dirt ride with my pals up there near the Conboy lake game refuge, then over to Trout lake or Klickatat for a burger and beer(s).
We used to meet at the Charburger at the Bridge of the Gods, sometimes Stevenson at Darlene's House of Waffles. Ah good times......

Nice report, thanks for taking the time to put this up for us.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #28
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgord
Man, I really miss the NW! Did you ride the 141 from 14 to Husum and BZ corners? Used to dirt ride with my pals up there near the Conboy lake game refuge, then over to Trout lake or Klickatat for a burger and beer(s).
We used to meet at the Charburger at the Bridge of the Gods, sometimes Stevenson at Darlene's House of Waffles. Ah good times......

Nice report, thanks for taking the time to put this up for us.
It is great dirt riding too, I run my KLR all over between Trout Lake and Glenwood...Draper Springs...Bird Creek and Island Camp areas.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #29
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
cool. I'm in north Vantucky. off of saint johns.
Ping me next time you're gonna head out there.
Not far away...just north of Van Mall. I got some GS riding buddies too if you can stand Beemer boys...

Old 09-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #30
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,874

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote