ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #31
ronsolo
Hooplehead
 
ronsolo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 826
Cool. I like it. Nice Bike too.

Out there, Monument. Shaniko, Heppner, Condon... are some of the finest twisty bits around. I like it so much I went to Hood River twice this year.

Also, ST.N (sport-touring.net) just had a little shindig in John Day a few weeks ago.

Nice report.
__________________
2012 C14

ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #32
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased
 
Mad Kaw Disease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver (NOT BC), Washington (NOT DC)
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Man
Cool. I like it. Nice Bike too.

Out there, Monument. Shaniko, Heppner, Condon... are some of the finest twisty bits around. I like it so much I went to Hood River twice this year.

Also, ST.N (sport-touring.net) just had a little shindig in John Day a few weeks ago.

Nice report.
From what I understand there is a big Beemer gathering out there in June too. We ran into some people coming back when doing a desert ride further west around Christmas Valley.
__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2014 BMW R1200RTW

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #33
ronsolo
Hooplehead
 
ronsolo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
From what I understand there is a big Beemer gathering out there in June too. We ran into some people coming back when doing a desert ride further west around Christmas Valley.
Yes, in John Day. The only thing about the area is that there are many deer. It's crazy. They sometimes can be seen walking around in town.

I want to go back over there though and so some more back road exploring. It's perfect terrain for our KTMs.
__________________
2012 C14

ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #34
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass
 
fallzboater's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Hood River, OR
Oddometer: 507
Definitely watch the deer, and the lower sun in the afternoons is an additional challenge. A Hood River riding buddy hit one heading west on Bakeoven Rd. east of Maupin on Saturday and is fairly busted up, as well as a possibly totalled 950. We hope he'll be home in another day or two.

Also, beware of the new Elefant in The Gorge.
Attached Images
 
__________________
David Mackintosh
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #35
New Trick
A guy that likes to ride
 
New Trick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The Hood
Oddometer: 61
The Columbia Gorge...Exploring My Backyard

MKD, really enjoying the report. I just love riding in all those valleys of the John Day River. The North Fork has a great route between Monument and Hwy. 395. I think it's an old wagon road, kind of like a miniature Hells Canyon. It's perfect for your bike. Probably a good idea to do with a partner.
Attached Images
 
New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #36
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
I do remember seeing another 990...we are such a rare breed in these parts that I usually do remember when I see another. It was on that stretch between the bridge and 14 when I was leaning at a thirty degree angle into the side wind...wasn't it?

We'll both have to hook up with Dagwood out there somewhere....someday.
Yep, that was me. I picked a bad day to hijack my dads bike for a ride. That wind was freaking horrendous! Oh well, it was still way better than yard work. Enjoy your ride...I'll hook up with you guys next spring when I have my own 990.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 AM   #37
Ladukebob
lost in hood river
 
Ladukebob's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Hood River, Or.
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallzboater
Definitely watch the deer, and the lower sun in the afternoons is an additional challenge. A Hood River riding buddy hit one heading west on Bakeoven Rd. east of Maupin on Saturday and is fairly busted up, as well as a possibly totalled 950. We hope he'll be home in another day or two.

Also, beware of the new Elefant in The Gorge.
Dave,
Sorry to hear about your buddy I wonder if it's anyone I know here in HR?

Next time you're out in the the Mitchell area check out Twickenham it's kind of a cool place.

__________________
2011 990 adv
2012 wr250r
You don't know what you don't know
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #38
dagwood
Banned
 
dagwood's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver, Not! BC...
Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk
Yep, that was me. I picked a bad day to hijack my dads bike for a ride. That wind was freaking horrendous! Oh well, it was still way better than yard work. Enjoy your ride...I'll hook up with you guys next spring when I have my own 990.


jacked Dads 990?
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #39
ronsolo
Hooplehead
 
ronsolo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Trick
MKD, really enjoying the report. I just love riding in all those valleys of the John Day River. The North Fork has a great route between Monument and Hwy. 395. I think it's an old wagon road, kind of like a miniature Hells Canyon. It's perfect for your bike. Probably a good idea to do with a partner.
Damn.

OK anyone want to ride this next year with me? Cool.
__________________
2012 C14

ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:21 PM   #40
jigdog
Studly Adventurer
 
jigdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 813
I would have ditched the bike and sailed my PrindleCat through those waves!
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #41
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased
 
Mad Kaw Disease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver (NOT BC), Washington (NOT DC)
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigdog
I would have ditched the bike and sailed my PrindleCat through those waves!
40 years ago I was riding my Weber Feather PinTail in the surf off Long Branch, Sea Bright and Sandy Hook.

I grew up on the Jersey shore still have lots of kin back there. Monmouth Regional HS Class of "Too Long Ago".
__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2014 BMW R1200RTW

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:44 PM   #42
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased
 
Mad Kaw Disease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver (NOT BC), Washington (NOT DC)
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Trick
MKD, really enjoying the report. I just love riding in all those valleys of the John Day River. The North Fork has a great route between Monument and Hwy. 395. I think it's an old wagon road, kind of like a miniature Hells Canyon. It's perfect for your bike. Probably a good idea to do with a partner.
I have to get my regular riding buddies to "get over" their unscratched new 1200GSs so we can do some two track.

I'll look for that road in Topo...
__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2014 BMW R1200RTW

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #43
Humunn
Moto Prozac
 
Humunn's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Sunny Central Oregon
Oddometer: 1,034
Wow Bob, great report!

We need to find that road for sure.
__________________
High Desert Adventures
Backcountry Motorcycle Tours
www.highdesertadventures.net
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #44
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased
 
Mad Kaw Disease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver (NOT BC), Washington (NOT DC)
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Man
Damn.

OK anyone want to ride this next year with me? Cool.
With a little planning I bet we could pull some kind of ADV event together for next year.
__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2014 BMW R1200RTW

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #45
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased
 
Mad Kaw Disease's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver (NOT BC), Washington (NOT DC)
Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn
Wow Bob, great report!

We need to find that road for sure.
Yeah I'm thinking a little ADV riding event. I'll twist your arm to get a little High Desert Adventure sponsership into it. We'll just tap our expertise not your munny...
__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2014 BMW R1200RTW

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014