Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #46
transalprider26
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Hey that young couple on the GS from up around Seattle looks pretty familiar! You caught us right after the latch assembly on our Vario case decided to self-destruct while attaching it to the bike. Seems a little piece of gravel made it's way in there. That's what we're doing back there on the bench in the picture. We got out of there about an hour after you had left.

Great ride report, and really awesome pictures. I love riding in that part of Oregon. We'll be back for sure. Nice talking to you briefly while you were stopped. See you on the road!

Matt and Brayde
transalprider26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #47
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by transalprider26
Hey that young couple on the GS from up around Seattle looks pretty familiar! You caught us right after the latch assembly on our Vario case decided to self-destruct while attaching it to the bike. Seems a little piece of gravel made it's way in there. That's what we're doing back there on the bench in the picture. We got out of there about an hour after you had left.

Great ride report, and really awesome pictures. I love riding in that part of Oregon. We'll be back for sure. Nice talking to you briefly while you were stopped. See you on the road!

Matt and Brayde
Hey...good to hear from you hope your trip went well. I have a couple buddies who just bought new GSs with the Vario cases...anything I should warn them about?

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #48
1 Bored Clerk
Mama, I'm goin fast!

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood

jacked Dads 990?
What?

Hey, pay attention to the thread...geez.
1 Bored Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #49
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Day Three was the most mellow of the weekend. I had spent the night at the Stafford in Prineville and after a little of their continental breakfast headed over to Humunn’s (check out some of his threads on ADV…shameless plug #2) house for some REAL morning coffee. Although he desperately tries to cultivate a ‘Villebilly cowboy persona he still makes coffee with an espresso machine. So I spent a great morning at his kitchen counter solving all the world’s problems with him and his lovely wife.

Aside from great coffee, Humunn has another uncanny talent and that’s finding great places to eat. I would say he’s drawn to good food like a moth to a flame but it’s really more like a starving dog to a garbage can. He suggested we try a “new to me” place in Terrebonne. He and Mrs Humunn would ride out to Terrebonne for lunch with me and then I’d be on my own to get back to the ‘Couv.

Here’s Humunn warming up the Versys…there’s a long story about the interrelationship between his Versys and my new Adventure and a subsequent pair of new 1200GSs, but it’s probably only interesting to us and our little world of “one-upmanship” so I won’t bore you.

Here Mr and Mrs Humunn are ready to ride. The missus never complained but did make it clear that she would have preferred the rear seat of a 1200LT or a Hondapotamus. Just what a guy needs, spousal permission to buy another expensive bike.

It was a nice, if uneventful ride out to Terrebonne…

Terrebonne Depot was the destination and awesome fish tacos the reward…Humunn scores again!

After lunch it was pretty much a dash for home up through Madras, Maupin, Dufur and The Dalles playing peek a boo with most of Oregon’s volcanoes along the way.

Finally The Dalles and across the river to Highway 14 and into the wind all the way home…great riding, new places, friends and great food. Does it get any better?

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss

Mad Kaw Disease screwed with this post 10-01-2008 at 09:10 PM
Old 10-02-2008, 05:06 AM   #50
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427

Nice.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #51
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Love it. I'll have pics to look at over the winter...I'm not looking forward to.

Maupin is a funky little place isn't it? And I mean that in a good way. So I'm riding down bake oven road or something like that, doing...90ish wondering where I can get fuel because there was a sack over the pumps in Shaniko and then appears Maupin with river rafting hotties running around in bikinis and gas!

ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #52
transalprider26
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Varios

The trip was great. We rode down through Reno, then south into Yosemite. The guys at Sierra BMW in Sparks helped us plan out a pretty good route. They were dead on about all the roads. From Yosemite we headed up around Sacramento and then over to the coast at Fort Bragg. We took the coast all the way home and it was beautiful.

As far as the Vario's go... This was our first trip with them and my initial impression is that they are great bags, but are kind of delicate. The whole expanding case system is great to have, but you have to take special care not to let dirt and crud build up in the expanding mechanism or else you will have problems expanding and collapsing them. Also, be gentile with the latching and mounting mechanisms, as they are pretty finicky too. As you saw, one small pebble put us out for about two hours while we re-assembled the whole mounting assembly. It was a huge mess of flying springs and curse words. I love the Happy Trails panniers on my Transalp, and the new factory adventure aluminum bags for the GS look pretty nice (but spendy). I think aluminum is the way to go as far as durablity, but you can't beat the functionality of the Varios, their design really is ingenious.

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
Hey...good to hear from you hope your trip went well. I have a couple buddies who just bought new GSs with the Vario cases...anything I should warn them about?
transalprider26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #53
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by transalprider26

As far as the Vario's go... This was our first trip with them and my initial impression is that they are great bags, but are kind of delicate. The whole expanding case system is great to have, but you have to take special care not to let dirt and crud build up in the expanding mechanism or else you will have problems expanding and collapsing them. Also, be gentile with the latching and mounting mechanisms, as they are pretty finicky too. As you saw, one small pebble put us out for about two hours while we re-assembled the whole mounting assembly. It was a huge mess of flying springs and curse words. I love the Happy Trails panniers on my Transalp, and the new factory adventure aluminum bags for the GS look pretty nice (but spendy). I think aluminum is the way to go as far as durablity, but you can't beat the functionality of the Varios, their design really is ingenious.

Matt

Thanks for the input, Matt.

Mike and Ray....heads up on your new Varios!!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #54
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Man
...river rafting hotties running around in bikinis...

Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #55
rrcollings
BigAir

Oddometer: 44
Vario bags

So long as I don't try and ride Fandango Canyon (Central Oregon rock), with the GS and expect it to handle the terrain like the KTM 525, I'm sure they will be fine. Anything serious offroad with the GS will likely lead to a different set of gear.

Nice Pics!
rrcollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #56
New Trick
A guy that likes to ride

Oddometer: 61
The Columbia Gorge...Exploring My Backyard

Hey MKD, drop me an e sometime, and maybe we can do a ride. The Columbia Gorge is my front yard, and I know lots of routing.
Attached Images

New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 PM   #57
New Trick
A guy that likes to ride

Oddometer: 61
The Columbia Gorge...Exploring My Backyard

Or maybe a little..........
Attached Images

New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:43 PM   #58
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease

and not one Pic? .

dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #59
cyclebabble
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Chris

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMG...a66QHoTkkDDmjA
cyclebabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #60
Mad Kaw Disease OP
Dual Sport Diseased

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Trick
Hey MKD, drop me an e sometime, and maybe we can do a ride. The Columbia Gorge is my front yard, and I know lots of routing.
Putting together a list... this could turn into something fun.