Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 AM   #31
subagon
Hopelessly lost

Oddometer: 570
You'll need to create a login to read the post.

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=1153.0

BTW, it works great
subagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #32
jrodgolfer
Huge Member

Oddometer: 226
There's also one for sale in the vendors forum here.

Edit -

Here's the link -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=zumo

Let the Adventure's begin...

jrodgolfer screwed with this post 11-05-2008 at 06:57 AM
jrodgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #33
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,551
Not in GSpot, merged into the Vendors thread.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #34
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
While I respect Austin's comments, I feel better using the Garmin security screw AND the locking RAM knob.

Will it stop a determined thief? No. (With a Sawzall, I could cut through the RAM mount -- or cut off the bike's handlebar -- and the wires in about 5 seconds.) Might it deter an opportunist? Sure.

That said, I wouldn't leave a $1,000 GPS unit on the bike overnight or while parked in suspect area.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #35
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 419
I won't leave my ZUMO on in any case. With his Zumo screw, I can finally take it on and off at will. I just ordered 4 of them...
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #36
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-GS
While I respect Austin's comments, I feel better using the Garmin security screw AND the locking RAM knob.

Will it stop a determined thief? No. (With a Sawzall, I could cut through the RAM mount -- or cut off the bike's handlebar -- and the wires in about 5 seconds.) Might it deter an opportunist? Sure.

That said, I wouldn't leave a $1,000 GPS unit on the bike overnight or while parked in suspect area.
109% understand!!!

But,,,

I can take a Zumo off a bike when it has the security lock,,, and the Garmin screw in less than 20 seconds...

Friend had a Lock and screw on his and was saying the same thing... I took the Zumo and twisted it and the Ball unscrewed from the bike!!! If I really,,, wanted it,,, I would have clipped the wire and walked away in under 20 seconds...

Being able to take the Zumo off in seconds using the Machined Screw than getting a key,,, finding the security screw,,, and hoping you don't lose either in the dark gravel parking lot at 11:17 pm in El Paso... Don't ask how I know...
Austin City Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #37
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Just E-Mail Kevin... He is a friend and a great guy... He has shipped like 1,000 screws last I heard... Has the Zumo and the 2xxx series screws made,,, in stock,,, and ready to ship...

Why,,, you would buy anywhere else??? These suckers are PERFECT!!!

Saw Screws like Kevins advertised over on a Goldwing site for $16 including shipping,,, and Kevins are $5 with $2.50 shipping for $7.50 total!!!

INSANE!!!

INSANE I SAY!!!

Just e-mail Kevin and tell him what you need,,, how many you want,,, and,,, SHAZZAM!!! They will be on your way,,, and you will save some serious coin too!!! Here is his addy...

kpelliott1@charter.net
Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #38
Longknife
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Terry, I have a marketing position opening up in my company, any interest? You're a freaking promoter, I think we could make money together.
Longknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #39
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife
Terry, I have a marketing position opening up in my company, any interest? You're a freaking promoter, I think we could make money together.
LMAO!!!

I am only successful in things I either make no money on,,,

(((Kevins Screws)))

or,,,

the Moonshine Lunch Run (((Cost me some serious coin,,, but,,, the BESTEST money I spend every year!!!)))

I own/operate a familyfarm and,,, well,,, we all know that sucks the hind Tit 8 out of 10 Years too...
Old 03-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #40
Longknife
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin City Limits
LMAO!!!

I am only successful in things I either make no money on,,,

(((Kevins Screws)))

or,,,

the Moonshine Lunch Run (((Cost me some serious coin,,, but,,, the BESTEST money I spend every year!!!)))

I own/operate a familyfarm and,,, well,,, we all know that sucks the hind Tit 8 out of 10 Years too...
Yeah, yeah, yeah. My father in law farms about 5,000 acres and every year he tells me how bad it is and how he's getting his ass kicked. Miraculously though, nice vacations are taken and a new boat and truck appear in his garage every year.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #41
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longknife
Yeah, yeah, yeah. My father in law farms about 5,000 acres and every year he tells me how bad it is and how he's getting his ass kicked. Miraculously though, nice vacations are taken and a new boat and truck appear in his garage every year.
Well,,, we are about 10% your Father-n-laws size farm... About 500 acres tillable... Not many this small left so I am either good,,, stupid,,, or both...

I don't own a boat... (((but do own a 2003 Vette,,, I admit)))

I vacation on a Motorcycle mostly,,, but granted,,, they are nice but both bought used...

Out on the farm I Own a 1998 GMC Suburban 4 x 4 with 154,000 miles,,, and a 1994 Dodge "1" wheel drive pickup which was my dad's who died 10 years ago...

Farming is the greatest job in the World,,, if ya can pay the bills...
Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #42
Longknife
Gnarly Adventurer

"Farming is the greatest job in the World,,, if ya can pay the bills... "

Now I agree with you there. I envy him often when I'm stuck in a windowless office and it's beautiful outside. Ballsy business when you're at the complete mercy of mother nature.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #43
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 778
I bought couple of these "security screws" for my Zumo 550 based on these forum posts and other posts and for the life of me still can't figure out what it's true purpose is!

I use my Zumo 550 on my V-Strom 1K and my KLX650C. I have ram mount on both my bikes along with a power harness and I simply swap the Zumo cradle depending on the bike that I am riding that day.

I had heard that in very rough terrain, the zumo clamp could flip up and cause my Zumo to fall out of the cradle. Yet, without the security screw, this has never happened and I have taken my KLX650 to some serious off road rock infested riding areas like Uwharrie and my Zumo never unhooked by flipping up the lever due to terrain or crashing.

I then assume that the security screw is to keep someone from stealing my Zumo when I leave it unattended. I guess there are people that may get confused having to unscrew a screw before taking an expensive piece of equipment....

Better explanation is that I along with thousands of others Zumo owners fell to a clever marketing ploy for these "security screws" that really does not serve a single function. When I leave my bike, I just take my Zumo with me. I also heard that if nothing else, it is for a peace of mind that the Zumo cradle lever will never back off or flip up accidentally with the security screw in place yet in all my riding, this has not happened once in the 3 years that I have taken my Zumo to every conceivable terrain.

Hey, I fell for it too as I am the proud owner of two security screws that I have yet to use.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #44
Austin City Limits OP
Terry"Two Wrecks"Hammond

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC
I bought couple of these "security screws" for my Zumo 550 based on these forum posts and for the life of me still can't figure out what it's true purpose is!

I use my Zumo 550 on my V-Strom 1K and my KLX650C. I have ram mount on both my bikes along with a power harness and I simply swap the Zumo cradle depending on the bike that I am riding that day.

I had heard that in very rough terrain, the zumo clamp could flip up and cause my Zumo to fall out of the cradle. Yet, with or without the security screw, this has never happened and I have taken my KLX650 to some serious off road rock infested riding areas like Uwharrie and my Zumo never unhooked by flipping up the lever due to terrain or crashing.

I then assume that the security screw is to keep someone from stealing my Zumo when I leave it unattended. I guess there are people that may get confused having to unscrew a screw before taking an expensive piece of equipment....

Better explanation is that I along with thousands of others Zumo owners fell to a clever marketing ploy for these "security screws" that really does not serve a single function. When I leave my bike, I just take my Zumo with me. I also heard that if nothing else, it is for a peace of mind that the Zumo cradle lever will never back off or flip up accidentally with the security screw in place yet in all my riding, this has not happened once in the 3 years that I have taken my Zumo to every conceivable terrain.

Hey, I fell for it too as I am the proud owner of two security screws that I have yet to use.
I witnessed 2 Zumos that have fallen off bikes... #1 was a KLR 650 off roading,,, and another was a ST-1300 running about 75 mph... I own bikes just like both I described,,, but they were not mine,,, but was riding along when the ST-1300 popped out...

Both Owners had quit using the Security Screw because they are a pain in the arse...

Glad you have not had it happen,,, but,,, it does happen...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #45
YBViking
Bedroom Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Thumb To Screw or Not 2 screw...that is the question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin City Limits
I witnessed 2 Zumos that have fallen off bikes... #1 was a KLR 650 off roading,,, and another was a ST-1300 running about 75 mph... I own bikes just like both I described,,, but they were not mine,,, but was riding along when the ST-1300 popped out...

Both Owners had quit using the Security Screw because they are a pain in the arse...

Glad you have not had it happen,,, but,,, it does happen...

Here's my 2 cents- Yeah, it might or might NOT fall off the bike- your $, your call on that. Does any locking screw make a difference? Only one way to find out- and that can be expensive.... Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy- it can't hurt.....

Here's why i just ordered Two of these from Kevin- because i've already lost one of those Farkin' screwdrivers and I just don't want to have to fumble for a minute tool just to remove a GPS from my bike. No, i won't stop or even slow down a thief- but that's what the Glock is for.

Thanks Kevin for the quick response and quick ship- This saves me from ruining another knife tip gettin that useless screw to back out.

YB'

Life's too short for hate...or ex-wives, cheap booze and the road not taken

Cigarettes are nails in my coffin- but I pounded them in

I'm going to Hell on the express bus.....That poor NUN........

I'm always auditioning the next future ex-mrs YBViking- PM me for an appt
YBViking is offline   Reply With Quote