User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

Oddometer: 266
moving on...

As dusk moved onto night, we settled in with a quick dinner and sat looking at the stars beginning to emerge out of the twilight when we heard some heavy breathing and the crunching of gravel coming from the south side of the saddle. It was two guys on bicycles who were touring the same route as us from the south. They asked if they could share the camp spot with us since it was getting dark and wanted to stop for the night.
They had started down in Antelope Wells a month and a half ago and were headed all the way to Banff. I had done some bike touring in the past myself and we swapped stories about different tours and such. One of guys had a really impressive rig and not one that many would voluntarily take on such a long tour: a 29 inch, single speed
His riding partner asked were we were headed for the night and when we said "Jackson", he paused and muttered "....wow, we were there 4 days ago... and you will be there for happy hour?"
I think he was immediately questioning is vehicle of choice for the trip.

Here is photo from the next morning...

From CDR-2008

Having not run into anyone else heading north, we inquired about some sections of the trail and their status..... They told us that the route south of Island Park that follows an old railway grade was filled with loose sand and the old tunnel that you ride through had caved in.... Flag Ranch Road was still buried in a ton of snow as well as Union Pass.....
hummm.... ya, but they were there almost a week ago, so that snow should be gone by the time we roll up....
tele-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #17
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Thumb

Awesome RR! Keep it coming! How's that 640 working out?

Old 09-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #18
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Great report.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
lucky520
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Awesome report, I'm putting it on my to do list ASAP
lucky520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

The 640 was running great. G-man definitely had me on the highway stretches, but I had an easier time in the loose gravel and dirt.

We rolled down off the saddle and headed through Sheep Canyon towards Lima for breakfast.
From Lima, the route heads east through the Centennial Valley and Red Rocks Lake Wildlife Refuge.
The riding was great... a lot of fast straight roads with great views.
From CDR-2008

From CDR-2008

There was a few smaller "towns" along the route that was really just some ranches and headquarters for the RRLWR

From CDR-2008

The further east we went, the mountains grew in size. It was great to start seeing some more majestic peaks along the route.

From CDR-2008

From CDR-2008

Our goal for the night was Jackson, Wy. I still kept in touch with some friends whom I had met while working at ski shop a number of years ago that offered a place to stay for the night.
We still had a lot of ground to cover before then and we still did not know if we could make it through Flag Ranch Road....
Old 04-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #21
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

whoow, ya... uh, I should finish this....

We headed towards Red Rock Pass on the Montana and Idaho border.

Flag Ranch Road was still snowed in with heavy damage from the spring run off, so we hightailed it through Victor, Driggs, Teton Pass, and down into Wilson. We stopped at the Cowboy Bar and quickly pulled down several adult beverages before getting a hold of my buddy we were going to stay with that night.

My friend in Jackson had just gotten from his wife. They were only married for 6 months and he was having a rough time with it all. The ski shop hired him back and let him crash in the employee apartment/locker room/storage unit. The downside was that he had to share the space with 20+ other ski shop employees during the day. The plus side is that if you stretch your arms out you can touch the door to the apartment as well as the door to the Mangy Moose. Needless to say, we did not venture very far that night.

The next morning, we headed north to Togette Pass past the grand mountains of the Teton Range.

We headed up and over Union Pass and dropped in along the Green River and the Wind River Range headed towards Pinedale.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #22
adventurecycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Awesome so far....been waiting since 2008 for the finish though!
adventurecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #23
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

moving on...

Ya, shit... life gets in the way sometimes....

Anyways... we rolled down Union Pass and into Pinedale. The Windriver Mountain Range was to the east and the route takes you right down along the foothills. The views were mind blowing.

When we gassed up in Pinedale, we overheard some locals bitching about all the hippies in town. Hippies... in Pinedale? It didn't make sense... but I was wrong, really wrong.
Pinedale, for one week, was the hippie capital of the US. The Rainbow Gathering had set up camp in the foothills of the Windrivers 20 miles outside of town. The beauty of it was that the National Boyscout Jamboree was going on at the same time, in the same National Forest, at the same place.
Now that put a smile on my face.

The further we got out of town, the more we ran into. I swore I could smell them before I saw them. The majority looked like they stole their mom's car (i.e. 1989 Volvo station wagon) and someone's laundry on their way across country.

Thankfully the views were good enough that smell didn't bother me.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #24
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

The Great Basin...

We hit Highway 28 at the south end of the Windriver Range. We knew we wanted to fill up the tanks before heading out into the great unknown of central Wyoming, but it was roughly 20+ miles to Farson (west) and 34 miles to Lander (east). We decided to take our chances with Atlantic City...

As luck would have it, even on the 4th of July, we found some gas.

Wild Bill was classic Wyoming. Not too tall, long white beard, and the downstairs room was filled with jerry cans full of gas. I don't remember what we paid, but I did not really care. It would get us across the Great Basin and the experience of meeting him was worth all the money we paid for those 4 gallons.

By now it was getting later in the afternoon and we took off out of Atlantic City with our sights on Rawlins as storm clouds began to gather over our heads.

Having heard about what happens to the roads out in the Great Basin after it rains I was getting a bit nervous; plus the thought of being in a lightening storm without a place to hide for 100+ miles was a bit unsettling.

It was with nervous anticipation and excitement that we hightailed it across the desert.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #25
GnarlyKarle
aka: ici_moto

Oddometer: 1,264
Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #26
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Dates

Are these dates correct???????

Did this ride start over 1 1/2 years ago, plus what was the start date of the ride. I'm just trying to figure out my departure date since you stated that some of the roads were still closed due to snow.

Keep it coming we are enjoying the RR.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #27
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

I've been lazy with my ride report writing.

Stick-
We did this whole ride in 10 days. It took 2 1/2 days of riding highways to get from the Front Range to the Canada Border at Roosville. We then took 6+ days of riding to get back down to Colorado along the CDR. We went around the end of June/early July. The only road that was still closed due to snow was Going to the Sun road up in Glacier National Park. This is not part of the CDR. If you do this ride in May / early June there possibly could be more. If you are planning on riding the CDR through Colorado, most of the high passes do not open till the end of June or even mid July depending on what kind of winter they've had.

It did not take a year and half to complete the ride, I've just been extremely delinquent with my ride report updates.

-tele

tele-steve screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 07:41 AM
Old 04-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #28
Charlyno
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
...great report and magic pics !

www.francescoinviaggio.it
Charlyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #29
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

Bluhduh The Great Basin...

The ride through the Great Basin was incredible. Remote only begins to describe it out there. The only thing that you come across is the occasional sheep farmer.
The clouds kept forming overhead and winds picked up. Squalls formed and chased us across the plains. The smell of wet desert sage fill the air and we somehow managed to stay ahead of the rain.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
tele-steve OP
ya' mon

Flag Ranch Road

Stick-
Oh ya, Flag Ranch Road was still closed when we got there.

We might have been able to sneak through, past the washouts, but we did not take our chances and REALLY wanted a cold beer & shower which was waiting for us in Jackson.