User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
swimmer OP
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,742
BMW Tourance 2 pants

I am thinking about getting a pair of these. They have what I am looking for in a pant in that they are wind/water proof without having an insulating liner. By the description it also seems like they have some provision for venting.

Anyone have any experience with these?
thanks
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
I am thinking about getting a pair of these. They have what I am looking for in a pant in that they are wind/water proof without having an insulating liner. By the description it also seems like they have some provision for venting.

thanks
Funny you should mention this. I bought a pair Tourance (not the Tourance 2) pants yesterday.

They are definitely a more cold weather pant. Windproof and waterproof without a liner. There's no "insulation" to speak of, but they're definitely heavier than my BMW Summer2 pants. Also, the Tourance doesn't have any vents which is fine with me. Just one less opportunity to leak.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
swimmer OP
armchair asshole

I've tried on the tourance 2 pants and certainly they are no summer pant but most other waterproof pants seem to have some sort of insulation which I can do without. I gathered from what I have read (and that they were more $$) that the original tourance pants were a bit stouter than the tourance 2 pants. I would just use these pants for commuting and trips around town. I've got some kevlar mesh pants and stuff for longer trips in cooler weather.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,663
Quote:

thanks
I own the T2. They're OK, but not perfect. I bought them because I prefer an overall rather than a standard pant w/ belt. I wear them in very poor conditons or when I'm on a road trip, but for general day to day use they don't really work for me. (Mostly because of the absence of full length zippers)

The vent on the upper leg is an absolute joke. The pant is formed w/ three different layers. Cordura outer, h20 membrane, and inner (non-insulated) liner. The vent only opens up the outer layer; the h20 membrane and inner liner are continious w/ no openings, ergo: NO VENTING. Not sure what the thought process was there...
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
swimmer OP
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
I own the T2. They're OK, but not perfect. I bought them because I prefer an overall rather than a standard pant w/ belt. I wear them in very poor conditons or when I'm on a road trip, but for general day to day use they don't really work for me. (Mostly because of the absence of full length zippers)

The vent on the upper leg is an absolute joke. The pant is formed w/ three different layers. Cordura outer, h20 membrane, and inner (non-insulated) liner. The vent only opens up the outer layer; the h20 membrane and inner liner are continious w/ no openings, ergo: NO VENTING. Not sure what the thought process was there...
Thanks for the input and I'll not consider the "vent" anything worthwhile. The full length zipper is not too much of an issue as anytime I wear the pants the boots will be coming off if they do.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:

thanks
Consider the Aerostich line. I have the Darien and they are perfect from about 75 degrees on down. You can add a bib/suspender to the Roadcrafter to get away from the belt issues. My Dariens are 100% waterproof, have a full length zipper, and fit like jeans. I wear different thickness of long johns under them depending on the temprature. On long rides I wear bicycle shorts to pad my *ss. I've even taken the knee pads out and worn them skiing.

The key thing is fit - BMW gear is tailored for those tall skinny Euro guys -- and I'm not.

and no I don't work for them
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti

Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
swimmer OP
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc
Consider the Aerostich line. I have the Darien and they are perfect from about 75 degrees on down. You can add a bib/suspender to the Roadcrafter to get away from the belt issues. My Dariens are 100% waterproof, have a full length zipper, and fit like jeans. I wear different thickness of long johns under them depending on the temprature. On long rides I wear bicycle shorts to pad my *ss. I've even taken the knee pads out and worn them skiing.

The key thing is fit - BMW gear is tailored for those tall skinny Euro guys -- and I'm not.

and no I don't work for them
I bought some dariens off of someone here and maybe because the were a long version but the knee protection sat so low when I stood it just wasn't going to to work. Generally the darien is exactly what I am looking for but that pair I bought didn't seem to work for me.