ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
swimmer OP
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 3,742
BMW Tourance 2 pants

I am thinking about getting a pair of these. They have what I am looking for in a pant in that they are wind/water proof without having an insulating liner. By the description it also seems like they have some provision for venting.

Anyone have any experience with these?
thanks
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Xeraux
Archvillain
 
Xeraux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Oddometer: 30,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
I am thinking about getting a pair of these. They have what I am looking for in a pant in that they are wind/water proof without having an insulating liner. By the description it also seems like they have some provision for venting.

Anyone have any experience with these?
thanks
Funny you should mention this. I bought a pair Tourance (not the Tourance 2) pants yesterday.

They are definitely a more cold weather pant. Windproof and waterproof without a liner. There's no "insulation" to speak of, but they're definitely heavier than my BMW Summer2 pants. Also, the Tourance doesn't have any vents which is fine with me. Just one less opportunity to leak.
__________________
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
swimmer OP
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 3,742
I've tried on the tourance 2 pants and certainly they are no summer pant but most other waterproof pants seem to have some sort of insulation which I can do without. I gathered from what I have read (and that they were more $$) that the original tourance pants were a bit stouter than the tourance 2 pants. I would just use these pants for commuting and trips around town. I've got some kevlar mesh pants and stuff for longer trips in cooler weather.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer
 
See-Double-You's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Anchorage, AK
Oddometer: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
I am thinking about getting a pair of these. They have what I am looking for in a pant in that they are wind/water proof without having an insulating liner. By the description it also seems like they have some provision for venting.

Anyone have any experience with these?
thanks
I own the T2. They're OK, but not perfect. I bought them because I prefer an overall rather than a standard pant w/ belt. I wear them in very poor conditons or when I'm on a road trip, but for general day to day use they don't really work for me. (Mostly because of the absence of full length zippers)

The vent on the upper leg is an absolute joke. The pant is formed w/ three different layers. Cordura outer, h20 membrane, and inner (non-insulated) liner. The vent only opens up the outer layer; the h20 membrane and inner liner are continious w/ no openings, ergo: NO VENTING. Not sure what the thought process was there...
__________________
CW
" Suggest you stick with failure analysis of Pork Chops " - -Benesesso
See-Double-You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
swimmer OP
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
I own the T2. They're OK, but not perfect. I bought them because I prefer an overall rather than a standard pant w/ belt. I wear them in very poor conditons or when I'm on a road trip, but for general day to day use they don't really work for me. (Mostly because of the absence of full length zippers)

The vent on the upper leg is an absolute joke. The pant is formed w/ three different layers. Cordura outer, h20 membrane, and inner (non-insulated) liner. The vent only opens up the outer layer; the h20 membrane and inner liner are continious w/ no openings, ergo: NO VENTING. Not sure what the thought process was there...
Thanks for the input and I'll not consider the "vent" anything worthwhile. The full length zipper is not too much of an issue as anytime I wear the pants the boots will be coming off if they do.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
kfsinc
Chaingolian Observer
 
kfsinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer
I am thinking about getting a pair of these. They have what I am looking for in a pant in that they are wind/water proof without having an insulating liner. By the description it also seems like they have some provision for venting.

Anyone have any experience with these?
thanks
Consider the Aerostich line. I have the Darien and they are perfect from about 75 degrees on down. You can add a bib/suspender to the Roadcrafter to get away from the belt issues. My Dariens are 100% waterproof, have a full length zipper, and fit like jeans. I wear different thickness of long johns under them depending on the temprature. On long rides I wear bicycle shorts to pad my *ss. I've even taken the knee pads out and worn them skiing.

The key thing is fit - BMW gear is tailored for those tall skinny Euro guys -- and I'm not.

and no I don't work for them
__________________
Karl
R1100GS
F650GS -- sold -- what's next?
“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.”, Mario Andretti


Indulge. Repent. Repeat.
kfsinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
swimmer OP
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfsinc
Consider the Aerostich line. I have the Darien and they are perfect from about 75 degrees on down. You can add a bib/suspender to the Roadcrafter to get away from the belt issues. My Dariens are 100% waterproof, have a full length zipper, and fit like jeans. I wear different thickness of long johns under them depending on the temprature. On long rides I wear bicycle shorts to pad my *ss. I've even taken the knee pads out and worn them skiing.

The key thing is fit - BMW gear is tailored for those tall skinny Euro guys -- and I'm not.

and no I don't work for them
I bought some dariens off of someone here and maybe because the were a long version but the knee protection sat so low when I stood it just wasn't going to to work. Generally the darien is exactly what I am looking for but that pair I bought didn't seem to work for me.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014