ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #1756
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku
Good job, Squidmark! That one fell faster than I expected. I don't know anything about the place -- found it 4 years ago while house hunting.

Re 'torturous' - thanks. I'm new to this style of tag, so it will be a while until my clues get really obscure.
I read the clue and said "ah f*ck it, it's gotta be down south somewhere, too much work for me to figure this one out"......I have tomorrow off and I have this urge to bring it north again.....

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #1757
Squidmark
a.k.a. "The Colonel"

Oddometer: 285
New tag

Diverting from the "nifty architecture" or "historical interest" characteristics of the latest round of tags - I wanted to slip this one in, because the time, as they say, is nigh, and who knows when I'll get the tag again? (OK, it's actually running late this year, probably because of all the rain.)

If you're after the tag, go soon, of course. Otherwise, go there late this month (or maybe even August - there are no blooms there now) and walk through the groves. While you're there, take the easy ~1 mile hike past the grove to get a great view of the Grand from the Little.

Squidmark screwed with this post 07-06-2009 at 05:21 PM
Squidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #1758
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,201
Slight diversion

The North American tag is back in NH:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post10277144
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #1759
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,838
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
Nice tag...

The artist's name is Jon Brooks...

here is some more info on the house... which is located in New Boston....

http://www.jonbrooks.org/g-house.html

That place is cool! Will have to check it out...

~ap blog
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:25 AM   #1760
baiku
Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer: 1,260
Got it

Thanks for a pleasant early morning ride, Squidmark!

baiku screwed with this post 07-09-2009 at 04:31 AM
baiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #1761
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,555

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #1762
baiku
Maniacal Engineer

New tag

The clue:

The tag:

EDITED LATER: This pic is flipped right to left. I fat-fingered something while posting. No one has ever seen a 650 V-Strom with the muffler on the left!! See my next post for the correct pic.

Tag is the fire tower. The road is straight, but the shoulder is very narrow, and there's a drainage ditch concealed by tall grass. Parking on the shoulder will have your bike leaning over the pavement. I found an entrance to a farm field that got my bike off the road. There's an electric cattle fence back from the road, so be warned.

If you're not happy with parking here, ride 1/4 mile north to a parking lot for the hiking trail to the tower. Take a pic of your bike in front of the sign, and that's a perfectly acceptable tag.

Disclaimer: this is a 'file' pic, sort of. After I got the Sanbornville tag last Saturday, I rode straight here for this pic, but on the way home decided to use the artist's house in New Boston instead. If anyone has some heartburn about this, hammer me tonight and I'll post something else tomorrow. Just trying to move the game along. Have fun, nice roads in this area.

baiku screwed with this post 07-09-2009 at 06:28 PM
Old 07-09-2009, 05:28 PM   #1763
KTMcc
n00b

Oddometer: 3
oh man. If I had time I could ride there on my EXC from my house.

excellent clues baiku!
KTMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #1764
Squidmark
a.k.a. "The Colonel"

Quote:
Disclaimer: this is a 'file' pic, sort of. After I got the Sanbornville tag last Saturday, I rode straight here for this pic, but on the way home decided to use the artist's house in New Boston instead. If anyone has some heartburn about this, hammer me tonight and I'll post something else tomorrow. Just trying to move the game along. Have fun, nice roads in this area.
I'd object to the use of a "file photo" as proof of capture of a tag, but not to the use of one as a new tag. After all, you did go there, just not immediately after snagging the old tag. Plus, it speeds up the game.

(I just did this in the Mass. TOR. I took several possible new tag photos on the way to and on the way back from snagging the old tag. I then picked out the one I wanted to use from the collection, which happened to be one I took before getting to the old tag. A violation of the rules in practice but not in spirit, IMO.)

OTOH, I'd accept playing with a physical tag too. But I'm not donating Little Squiddy
Old 07-09-2009, 06:22 PM   #1765
baiku
Maniacal Engineer

The reversed pic for my new tag...

And this one was on the shoulder of the road. My pic of the bike in the entrance to the field has vanished.

baiku screwed with this post 07-09-2009 at 06:30 PM
Old 07-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #1766
baiku
Maniacal Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmark
I'd object to the use of a "file photo" as proof of capture of a tag, but not to the use of one as a new tag. After all, you did go there, just not immediately after snagging the old tag. Plus, it speeds up the game.

(I just did this in the Mass. TOR. I took several possible new tag photos on the way to and on the way back from snagging the old tag. I then picked out the one I wanted to use from the collection, which happened to be one I took before getting to the old tag. A violation of the rules in practice but not in spirit, IMO.)

OTOH, I'd accept playing with a physical tag too. But I'm not donating Little Squiddy

How about a new 'local' game like North American TOR, with a physical tag instead of a bike pic as you said. If Little Squiddy isn't up for grabs, the first tag can be a plate of calamari at Giorgio's in Milford, NH. L.S. can stay on the tank bag so he doesn't see what happens to his cousins.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #1767
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,445
I gots me no clue bout dis 1. Sorry, I've been up for FAR TOO LONG right now...I hate midnights....

I was actually planning on planting a physical object at the next tag that I got so I'd be down with that.....

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:15 AM   #1768
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
How about a new 'local' game like North American TOR, with a physical tag instead of a bike pic as you said. If Little Squiddy isn't up for grabs, the first tag can be a plate of calamari at Giorgio's in Milford, NH. L.S. can stay on the tank bag so he doesn't see what happens to his cousins.
Make something on the Dimension!

I bruced myself this morning. On my way out the door this AM at 5:15, with GPS, laptop, nearest wifi hotspot to tag, and ah - keys, where are my keys? Still in the seat release, found them one hour later.....

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 07-10-2009 at 03:49 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #1769
Squidmark
a.k.a. "The Colonel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmark
But, to be clear, I'd prefer to play without using a physical tag. And I have no problem with (recent) "file photos" for new tags. Not only can using them speed up the game, they are more likely to be of something intriguing and interesting you came across in your broader travels rather than a boring shot of your local convenience store that you felt you had to take because you felt pressured to keep the game rolling.

MO only, of course.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #1770
midemite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Nice clues biaku and a great day for a ride!

I tore an ACL last week and am awaiting the doc's okay to get back on my bike (hopefully on Tues ), so I guess I'm out of the game for awhile. Meanwhile I'm putting on the miles on my peddle bike in my living room. So far I've ridden the Changthang Plateau and Arunachal Pradesh with Gaurav Jani. Next trip - Iceland with Helge Peterson.
midemite is offline   Reply With Quote