ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #1006
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,454
Nice going Helmet Head! Two tags! Nice!

Pretty ragin' substation you have to drive by eh? That big set of lines coming in is the 450kV DC line from Hydro Quebec/James Bay, goes to boston.

from wiki:

High voltage direct current (HVDC) ±450 kV
Main article: Quebec – New England Transmission
See also: High-voltage direct current
In addition to the six 735 kV power lines that stem from the James Bay Project, a seventh power line was constructed as an 1,100 kilometres (680 mi) northward extension of an existing high-voltage direct current (HVDC) line connecting Quebec and New England. This power line expansion was completed in 1990. As a result, the direct current power line is unique because there are multiple static converter and inverter stations along the 1,480 kilometres (920 mi) long power line.[13] It is also the first multiterminal HVDC line in the world. The ±450 kV power line can transmit about 2,000 MW of hydroelectric power to Montreal and the Northeastern United States.[79][80][81]
Route
Beginning in the converter station next to the Radisson substation, the HVDC line heads south and roughly parallels the six 735 kV power lines some distance to the west. It traverses the same type of terrain as the other six lines; the land is replete with lakes, wetlands, and forested rolling hills.[56] Gradually, the power line turns to the southeast, as it crosses under several 735 kV power lines.
After the six 735 kV wires split up into two groups of three power lines each, the HVDC line follows the eastern group, and the western set diverges away.[48][53] The line remains overhead until it reaches the north shore of the Saint Lawrence River near Grondines, where the ±450 kV HVDC line descends into an underwater tunnel traversing the river. The crossing was the world's first underwater crossing for a ±450 kV HVDC line.[72] The power line surfaces on the south shore near Lotbinière substation. After the river crossing, the line enters into the Nicolet terminal near Montreal. South of the terminal, the line heads south and after a relatively short distance, it enters the Des Cantons close to Sherbrooke.
Leaving the Des Cantons station, the power line crosses the United States-Canada border and passes through the hilly Appalachian Mountains in the U.S. state of Vermont, reaching an elevation of about 650 metres (2,130 ft).[61] The line then continues heading south-southeast and enters the state of New Hampshire, where it reaches the Comerford terminal near Monroe. Continuing southward into Massachusetts, the line reaches the Sandy Pond terminal outside of Boston in Ayer.[81] The terminal is the southernmost extent of the HVDC line.[56][79]

Awaiting the new tags eagerly...

MZcountryboy screwed with this post 04-13-2009 at 03:49 PM
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #1007
baiku
Manaical Engineer

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhen
Location?

I googled 'water', 'cement', and 'picnic table' and still couldn't figure this one out...

I googled a few combinations of 'hydro', 'connecticut' and 'river' yesterday afternoon, but was too lazy to scroll thru all of them.

So I guessed at MXcb's route home after a long cold day, and guessed there wouldn't be any big detours. I just panned Google maps satellite view down the river at a scale the right size to see bridges, etc. The dam at West Stewartstown popped right up.

Then I refined the google search terms to 'hydro "connecticut river" -massachusetts' and the third hit lists all the dams.

But I was still to lazy to drag all the way north on windy day for the tag!
baiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #1008
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku
I googled a few combinations of 'hydro', 'connecticut' and 'river' yesterday afternoon, but was too lazy to scroll thru all of them.

So I guessed at MXcb's route home after a long cold day, and guessed there wouldn't be any big detours. I just panned Google maps satellite view down the river at a scale the right size to see bridges, etc. The dam at West Stewartstown popped right up.

Then I refined the google search terms to 'hydro "connecticut river" -massachusetts' and the third hit lists all the dams.

But I was still to lazy to drag all the way north on windy day for the tag!
You guys are working too hard.

"Trans Canada" was in the post with the tag - hehe...... The Company that operates the hydro facilities on the Connecticut!

Old 04-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #1009
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,216
MZcountryboy: I took the day off from work cuz I thought i'd be smart and grab both the VT and NH tags. I wuz pretty sure the VT. tag was up in the Irasburg area based on my sketchy google job I did last night. So I motored up there and could not find it...asked around...got blank looks. So after lots of riding and asking and teeth gnashing I decided to abort on VT and run over to W Stewartstown to grab the NH tag. Not there...wtf. That Canaan PSNH sub station when googled, really didn't look like it anyways...just wishful thinking. Guess i shouldn't have Ass-umed just because you said you posted up the previous tag in Island Pond...thats what you really did, or that you went directly there...Soooo I decides to ride down the NH side of the CT river to see what I could find. Rode right thru Monroe but missed it entirely. But I did see almost every boat ramp and wayside area on the CT river down to Woodsville where I finally admitted total defeat. If anyone wants to go fishing this weekend...let me know...I got some tips on where to put in.

Remember that Brucing I gave you in Franconia...you got me back. 420 miles and tagless...One hell of a ride though.
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #1010
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzerwheel
MZcountryboy: I took the day off from work cuz I thought i'd be smart and grab both the VT and NH tags. I wuz pretty sure the VT. tag was up in the Irasburg area based on my sketchy google job I did last night. So I motored up there and could not find it...asked around...got blank looks. So after lots of riding and asking and teeth gnashing I decided to abort on VT and run over to W Stewartstown to grab the NH tag. Not there...wtf. That Canaan PSNH sub station when googled, really didn't look like it anyways...just wishful thinking. Guess i shouldn't have Ass-umed just because you said you posted up the previous tag in Island Pond...thats what you really did, or that you went directly there...Soooo I decides to ride down the NH side of the CT river to see what I could find. Rode right thru Monroe but missed it entirely. But I did see almost every boat ramp and wayside area on the CT river down to Woodsville where I finally admitted total defeat. If anyone wants to go fishing this weekend...let me know...I got some tips on where to put in.

Remember that Brucing I gave you in Franconia...you got me back. 420 miles and tagless...One hell of a ride though.
Dear lord, man. You *are* an addict.

I did upload in Island pond saturday night, then south to St Johnsbury, then east down 18, cross the river, get my new tag picture, back home via Barnet. It was out of my way, but I didn't have a new tag for NH, (stoopid!) and I wanted to get one before I got home. Couldn't feel my ass since a few hours earlier, so what the hell...........

The Comerford dam is right off of NH Rte 135, in some real pretty farm country.

I'm glad you aren't sore, esp. now that my clues are in the open.....

I'm buying pancakes sunday?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #1011
whizzerwheel
Using Occam's Razor

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy

I'm glad you aren't sore, esp. now that my clues are in the open.....

I'm buying pancakes sunday?
Course not...but my arse sure is.

What...did you say you're buying???? More incentive
WR's in NH and Maine: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733821
whizzerwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #1012
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzerwheel
Course not...but my arse sure is.

What...did you say you're buying???? More incentive
It's the least I can do, you must have burned two tanks of gas chasing down those tags!

Oh, it's going to be a fun riding season!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #1013
Helmet Head
Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy
Nice going Helmet Head! Two tags! Nice!

Pretty ragin' substation you have to drive by eh? That big set of lines coming in is the 450kV DC line from Hydro Quebec/James Bay, goes to boston.
Thanks dood! It was a fun day to ride, if just a leetle bit windy and cold! Luckily these bikes have built-in hot-air hand-warmers coming out the back...

Yeah, the substation was amazing. I almost stopped to take a pic of that, too, but my hands were so cold at that point, I couldn't bear taking my gloves off again.

Here are better pics of the tag from a real camera. Used the cell-phone to get the original tag up quick so as not to get Bruced.

Thanks to your clues, I knew the dam had to be on the part of the CT that borders VT and not up at the top toward the lakes. There are only a handful of dams along the border, and I knew it wasn't Wilder, Bellows Falls, or Vernon. So, I Google-imaged the others. I only found a few far-off views of Comerford Dam, but one got me 90 percent convinced. Then I used the highest resolution available on Google Earth to look at it from the top and the shape matched up with what I could see in your pic.

New tag early tomorrow. It was getting too dark and cold to get one on the way back today.
"Today I accidentally stepped on a snail on the sidewalk in front of our house. And I thought, I too am like that snail. I build a defensive wall around myself, a "shell" if you will. But my shell isn't made out of a hard, protective substance. Mine is made out of tinfoil and paper bags."
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #1014
Helmet Head

New Tag!

"Today I accidentally stepped on a snail on the sidewalk in front of our house. And I thought, I too am like that snail. I build a defensive wall around myself, a "shell" if you will. But my shell isn't made out of a hard, protective substance. Mine is made out of tinfoil and paper bags."
Old 04-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #1015
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Quote:
Rules are easy...Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located.Make the clues clear and easiiy understood.

How about at least giving a clue where this is at ?
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #1016
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang

How about at least giving a clue where this is at ?
I'll give you a clue...go to his smugmug account, look at the original size doc and read the building.
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #1017
Helmet Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
I'll give you a clue...go to his smugmug account, look at the original size doc and read the building.
Bingo!

The grrls are always smarter, ain't they?

I actually just switched from Photobucket to SmugMug for playing tag for that very reason after noticing that's what other folks have done. I knew if you looked at the full-size pic, you could read the name of the building, and then it's easily google-able.

If you need more, it's in the county sharing a name with Lewis Carroll's famous grinning cat, and it's the kind of building where you can go inside and find the cat and his partners.

If people need more, I'll give more hints, but I'm sure someone will get this one.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #1018
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,360
Nice roads in that area. There's a 30-30 chance someone will get that this evening...

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #1019
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,931
are you still on the wagon?
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #1020
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRidesABeemer
are you still on the wagon?

However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote