ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: what should be the time limit for new tags
2 days 15 57.69%
3 days 6 23.08%
5 days 3 11.54%
no time limit 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
sallydog OP
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,308
Laugh Maine Tag-O-Rama

Okay let's kick his thang off....mmkay

Rules are easy...
  1. Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located.Make the clues clear and easiiy understood.
    • Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history that can be found down some nice twisties.
  2. Tag must be: a) findable & b) not placed on a dirt road.
    • Maintained gravel is OK, but make sure to let folks know that gravel is required to get to your tag. We don't want to exclude those who don't like to get dirty.
  3. The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.
  4. One tag at a time. File photos are NOT permitted. You gotta ride to play this game.
  5. Your bike has to be in the TAG picture
  6. the new follow-up tag has to be posted within 48 hours or the old tag is back up for grabs again.
Remember, you gotta be quick. Don't make the clues difficult, because it will come back and bite you in the arse. Also, bring your "A" game cause someone will have a tag and post another while you're thinking about eating breakfast.

Finally,

If you wanna play, you gotta ride.
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you

sallydog screwed with this post 11-23-2008 at 01:35 PM
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
sallydog OP
no more Green KLR

This was taken close to Thunder Hole in a national park.
Thunder Hole is a small inlet, naturally carved out of the rocks, where the waves roll into. At the end of this inlet, down low, is a small cavern where, when the rush of the wave arrives, air and water is forced out like a clap of distant thunder. Water may spout as high as 40 feet with a thunderous roar! Hence the name: Thunder Hole.

sallydog screwed with this post 09-08-2008 at 03:32 AM
Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #3
sallydog OP
no more Green KLR

whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode
That's not a "state park" ...
my mistake
Old 09-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #4
sallydog OP
no more Green KLR

Quote:
Ummm ... why is someone from NJ going around starting "Tag" threads for various New England states? It's not like you're gonna hang around and join in, or are you?

i start them wherever i go. if anyone ever changes them i will come back and participate. seems like new englanders dont like to play though. or the tags are too hard to find.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,366
Quote:

You picked nice spots in Maine and in NH, but using a private toll road in NH, and picking a place in Maine 100+ miles from the major population centers doesn't lend itself to having a quick response. Local knowledge is a wonderful thing.

+1

But no one said the photo lo-cals had to be in easy to bag locations... Both the NH and ME locations are kind of softballs as far as difficulty in figuring them out... It's just a game...

Game on!!!

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 AM   #6
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
oh I'm not suggesting "easy" ... I'm just pointing out that there aren't very many ADV folks in northern New England ready and able to drop everything and dash off on a 200+ mile juant to get a pic of a well-known tourist spot.

I watched the VA tag game thread for a while, was more of a "find-a-hidden-gem-and-write-a-clever-clue" game then an effort to make folks ride big miles.

The NH tag would be a 214 mile round trip for me, the Maine tag would be a 610 mile round trip ... next week the numbers will be flipped as I'll be in a different state.

Fog is slowly burning off though ...
I agree.. but in Sally Dog's defenese, both the NH & ME tags are prime tourist destinations and the chances are he doesn't know too many of the 'hidden jems' you and I do being locals..

The NH tag is at least a 175 miles round trip for me and there is no way I would ride all the way up to the ME location just to snap a picture...

Each player should bring their own twist to the game; some will be clever, some will be longer miles and some will be difficult to find. The best will be some combination of all three.

Cheers,

A
Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #7
sallydog OP
no more Green KLR

i rode from brownfield to get it. but then again, i like to ride motorcycles. mine is 2006 with 39987 miles. you just have to love to ride to play this game. post your home town and someone might drop a tag a couple miles from your house so you can play too.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Augie_Dogie
Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
The NH tag would be a 214 mile round trip for me, the Maine tag would be a 610 mile round trip ... next week the numbers will be flipped as I'll be in a different state.
Easy Peasy...........I'll be right up.

FWIW,I think that the success of tag hread depends on ADVrider density & border proximty. Presently the PA tag is in the Pittsburgh area where there is a reaonable ADVrider density, The NYS tagorama is sluggish in WNY (Low ADVrider density) and should pick up once it goes east. (Higher ADVrider density)

Dog help me if it gets into NYC.

I also think that should be one (or more) nutcase who acts as thread steward. One who likes and can do a medium or long range ride to relocate the tag to an area of interest (and higher rider density)

Ohio and Virginia are excelllent reading.

A_D
Augie_Dogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #9
Augie_Dogie
Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Yup ... Retro does a great job keeping the Virginia thread focussed and on target. While he doesn't get to go after quite as many tags as some others do he certainly works hard to keep the peace and keep things moving forward.
True Dat
Quote:
As I posted earlier, in northern New England, VT, NH, and Maine, there just aren't enough people, much less riders, much less ADV folks around.
ADVrider density drives the thread.
Quote:
Maybe the solution is a VT/NH/ME Tag thread?
One where anyone can use any of the three states to place a tag.
Then folks near one border could jump over and then bring it back to their own state.
All three states are tall and skinny but have no major or direct east / west roads linking them, so east <> west travel is all backroads which slows any trip.
I think there are plenty of folks who'd play if we made it all three states, folks from Mass and CT could play too on their weekend trips up here if they wished.
Make sense?
Yup......perfect sense.
Augie_Dogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Yup ... Retro does a great job keeping the Virginia thread focussed and on target. While he doesn't get to go after quite as many tags as some others do he certainly works hard to keep the peace and keep things moving forward.

As I posted earlier, in northern New England, VT, NH, and Maine, there just aren't enough people, much less riders, much less ADV folks around.

Maybe the solution is a VT/NH/ME Tag thread? One where anyone can use any of the three states to place a tag. Then folks near one border could jump over and then bring it back to their own state.

All three states are tall and skinny but have no major or direct east / west roads linking them, so east <> west travel is all backroads which slows any trip.

I think there are plenty of folks who'd play if we made it all three states, folks from Mass and CT could play too on their weekend trips up here if they wished.

Make sense?
Hey Geode,

Interesting........

Are you suggesting merging the ME, NH & VT Tag-o-Rama threads???

I wouldn't be crazy about eliminating each state's Tag-o-Rama because that would make the distances prohibitive for many people in the sense that if you live in Southern VT and the tag is, for instance, up in Bar Harbor ME, it would be an 8-10 hour ride one way to get up there.

I think if you wanted to create a Tri-State Tag-o-Rama as separate from the others that would be fine. I agree it would increase the number of eligible players for sure. Go for it!!! I'll play that one too!!!

Personally I ride a lot in NH and VT due to my geographic location and getting over to northern/central coastal ME would be a two day affair.

In terms of how many ADV members would be playing in the separate state Tog-o-ramas; I have no idea how many of us there are and how many would be interested in playing, but I'd like to see the separate states stand for a couple of months to see if there is adequate interest.

Also you mentioned a moderator of some sort. That sounds fine with me. I figure that there will always be someone who takes a keen interest in making sure the game moves along.

Just my .$02

A-Bone
Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #11
sallydog OP
no more Green KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone
Hey Geode,

Interesting........

Are you suggesting merging the ME, NH & VT Tag-o-Rama threads???

I wouldn't be crazy about eliminating each state's Tag-o-Rama because that would make the distances prohibitive for many people in the sense that if you live in Southern VT and the tag is, for instance, up in Bar Harbor ME, it would be an 8-10 hour ride one way to get up there.

I think if you wanted to create a Tri-State Tag-o-Rama as separate from the others that would be fine. I agree it would increase the number of eligible players for sure. Go for it!!! I'll play that one too!!!

Personally I ride a lot in NH and VT due to my geographic location and getting over to northern/central coastal ME would be a two day affair.

In terms of how many ADV members would be playing in the separate state Tog-o-ramas; I have no idea how many of us there are and how many would be interested in playing, but I'd like to see the separate states stand for a couple of months to see if there is adequate interest.

Also you mentioned a moderator of some sort. That sounds fine with me. I figure that there will always be someone who takes a keen interest in making sure the game moves along.

Just my .$02

A-Bone
if you ride so much why dont you just play both like the rest of us. there are no rules about boarder jumpers...
Old 09-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #12
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog
if you ride so much why dont you just play both like the rest of us. there are no rules about boarder jumpers...

Did you read what I wrote???

I am all for having each state have it's own game going...

I also defended you for posting remote tags for game starter and I was pleased to see an out-of-stater playing....

Old 09-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #13
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,660
I'd love to play since I'll be in Maine for the next 3 weeks, except I don't have my rides out here.

Carry on....
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #14
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler
I'd love to play since I'll be in Maine for the next 3 weeks, except I don't have my rides out here.

Carry on....
You seem like a nice guy....

Just get a picture of your girl neckid in place of the bike and we'll let her stand in for the bike....

K?

K
Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
boxercup03
Jim Taylor

Oddometer: 438
Tag, You're it.

Attachment 189015

boxercup03 screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 05:53 AM
boxercup03 is offline   Reply With Quote