Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #16
#1Fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Before my wife got to town, I rode down to Howard, where my wife's grandfather lives. It's about 12-15 miles east of Salida. Here are some pictures of Bighorn Sheep Canyon. Pure canyon land.

This is what it looks like from his front porch!

After I met my wife and kids, we went to Laughing Ladies Cafe for lunch. Best black bean burrito in the South West!!!

I love all the little art galleries in Salida.

Here is my daughter eating her polenta and goat cheese salad. Yum!!!

Here is my old boss Margie. She is the best chef in Colorado!!

When this is hanging in the window, you know they have fresh fish on the menu!

After lunch we headed down to the railroad tracks so the kids could ride their bike. My father-in-law bought my son and Kristi's son matching Yamaha TTR50's. My son took a spill on his and has not been on it since. He is only 6, so I am sure it is only a matter of time before he jumps back on it. My daughter loves riding it though!

Here is my daughter and I riding.

Here is my daughter.

We also hung out by the river and the kids played in the water.

The next morning my wife and I took a ride to Villa Grove. It's a bit further south on US 285 in the San Luis Valley. I love that valley, it's the most magical part of Colorado. Wish I had more time to ride around down there.

My lovely wife, it was her first time riding on my bike on the highway. She was so scared!! And cold...lol

When I got back to town, all five kids wanted to go for a ride. My daughter saw this deer, so we stopped to take a couple of pics.

After all of the kids rode it was getting late and I didn't feel like riding all the way back home in the dark. So I loaded my bike up in the back of the truck with my son's. Felt kind of silly loading the bike up and not riding home, but we were going to eat at Pizza Hut and didn't leave town until 8:30 and got home at 11:00, so I am glad I didn't ride home in the dark.

Here is a pic of my family at Pizza hut.

Here is Pablo and Kristi. Pablo needs a bike now!

Thanks for viewing my first adventure. Here's to many more!!
Love,
#1Fan
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #17
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Great first ride report. Sounds like you know your way around pretty good.

Let me be the first to say, get yourself and your family some proper riding gear.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #18
Doubletrackmind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Great job Ron! after reading this and spending the weekend in Ouray my itch to buy another bike all the stronger.
Doubletrackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #19
needles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Looks like you had a great time. I really enjoyed my ride through Colorado this summer and hit some of the same places you did. I bypassed Salida but from your pics, looks like I should have stopped there.

Cheers!

Dan
needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #20
Mountain_Mike
BachEnthusiast

Oddometer: 107
Cool pictures and looks like everyone had a great time.

Let me be the first to say, get yourself and your family some proper riding gear.

Even before seeing the comment above from Trailyrider, I have to say that the first thing that struck me about the whole report was the pic of your daughter on the bike. Apart from the lack of a jacket, I winced at the lace-up shoes, no socks, nor even gloves[1]!

I don't mean to preach, and I know you probably only going around at slow speeds, but even going slow, little[2] feet, ankles and hands can get pretty hurt...

Michael B.
[1] As a pianist, this was hit me first.
[2] And big ones too!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #21
#1Fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Mike
Cool pictures and looks like everyone had a great time.

Even before seeing the comment above from Trailyrider, I have to say that the first thing that struck me about the whole report was the pic of your daughter on the bike. Apart from the lack of a jacket, I winced at the lace-up shoes, no socks, nor even gloves[1]!

I don't mean to preach, and I know you probably only going around at slow speeds, but even going slow, little[2] feet, ankles and hands can get pretty hurt...

Michael B.
[1] As a pianist, this was hit me first.
[2] And big ones too!
Thanks for the input! Will work on getting proper gear ASAP!
Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to ride a motorbike through the Himalayas.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #22
#1Fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrackmind
Great job Ron! after reading this and spending the weekend in Ouray my itch to buy another bike all the stronger.
Get yourself a bike!! Let's go for a ride!! Let's follow Claypool!! When he tours that is!!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #23
brenter
Brenter

Oddometer: 360
great post!

I love colorado and did some riding out there just a few weeks ago. Nice pics! Too bad that you didn't lay the bike down on the obama sticker though . I have a klr exactly like yours. BTW the turn signals will brake off during hard bumps, they are having a problem. You will probably get a recall, not sure. Thanks for the report. Brent.
brenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #24
Doubletrackmind
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenter
Nice pics! Too bad that you didn't lay the bike down on the obama sticker though .
Hahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan
Get yourself a bike!! Let's go for a ride!! Let's follow Claypool!! When he tours that is!!
Sounds like fun! Back roads through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri to see this one

Here are a few images I took Sat. afternoon on the way to see Mike Dillon in Telluride. This is Ophir pass. I took a paved road back to Ouray.

Doubletrackmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #25
#1Fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrackmind
Hahahahaha

Sounds like fun! Back roads through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri to see this one

Here are a few images I took Sat. afternoon on the way to see Mike Dillon in Telluride. This is Ophir pass. I took a paved road back to Ouray.
That is beautiful country. Been a long time since I've been back there. Can't wait for the Aspen to turn color.
That festival looks fun but I will be out of town on work.....
Old 09-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #26
#1Fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhfox
Incredible!!

Oh, and #1Fan, great job! I hope you get a lot of safe miles on that KLR...
Thank you!
Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,284
Hey #1 Fan, Great ride report. I love Salida, and If I didn't love Laramie so much, Salida would be on my short list of lovely places to hang a shingle. I've always loved the art galleries and good food, great riding, lots of public land nearby, and (like Laramie) a whole town full of people who live there because they love it.

Glad I'm not the only KLR650 riding Obama supporter in the Rockies! I'll be spending a lot of time in the next couple months volunteering in Colorado. (Wyoming's a lost cause, but extra volunteers could help Colorado swing this time.)

You'll have to meet Hayduke and Bonnie Abzug next time you're in Salida. Pop over to the Rockies forum and introduce yourself. We have lots of cool folks around there to ride with.
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #28
#1Fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy
Hey #1 Fan, Great ride report. I love Salida, and If I didn't love Laramie so much, Salida would be on my short list of lovely places to hang a shingle. I've always loved the art galleries and good food, great riding, lots of public land nearby, and (like Laramie) a whole town full of people who live there because they love it.

Glad I'm not the only KLR650 riding Obama supporter in the Rockies! I'll be spending a lot of time in the next couple months volunteering in Colorado. (Wyoming's a lost cause, but extra volunteers could help Colorado swing this time.)

You'll have to meet Hayduke and Bonnie Abzug next time you're in Salida. Pop over to the Rockies forum and introduce yourself. We have lots of cool folks around there to ride with.
Thanks, I will pop in the Rockies forum to say hello.
Salida is a cool little place. Only been to Laramie once or twice...too cold there...lol!!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #29
Nichelob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Fan
Check out this mean ass bike, it has an ax bolted onto it!!! This is the bike he rode on our trip up Fooses Creek.
Cool ride. I thought I've seen that axe before... Yep
Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #30
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Great pics of home! In your pic of Kristi, you can see my wife's shop (Beadsong) and my shop is two doors south (FatTees). I know Tyler, too- skied with him alot when I worked up at Monarch. His "sand road" is great practice.

Stop by and say hello next time you're in town!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote