User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
MillCreek OP
ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer: 1,880
DRZ 400 seat height for 5'10" rider

I am thinking about a recent model Suzuki DRZ400 S series. A possible concern for me is the seat height insofar as it relates to my use of the bike on the street. A search of the forum did not turn up very much on point.

I am 5'10" with a 32 inch "bicycling inseam" (from the pubic bone to the floor). I would like to be able to put at least one foot down without leaning the bike way over.

What say you, ADV riders? Is the bike too tall or can it be lowered without too much effort? I have chatted with one rider who is 5'11' and can just put the toes of one foot down. He has subsequently dumped the bike on the street a number of times and is having $ 300 of lowering work done.
2012 Suzuki DL650A as the current bike
Whole bunch of bikes in the past
MillCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Im 5' 11" with somewhere around a 33" to 34" inseam. I just went out and sat on my bike, with no shoes on, I can touch fine, not flat footed by any means but not full tip toe either, flat footed on one side is achieved with no real noticable lean(again no shoes).

On the street and in the dirt Ive never had a issue or felt at all like I was going to topple over, even better with shoes on . This is a 04 bike, so i guess there could be some sag from time.

I dont know much about lowering prices, but $300 seems pretty steep. Lowering links can be bought for well under $100, theres also the option of a lower seat like the suzuki gel etc.

I love this bike , so I would say try one out if you can and see how she fits.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
I'm 5'9" with a 29.5" inseam. The DRZ400s isn't much of a problem as the seat is so narrow, plus the suspension compresses with my weight (220lbs) anyway.

If you have any experience mounting/dismounting off-roaders you'll have no problems. I wouldn't even contemplate lowering it.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam, used to have a DRZ400S & now ride a 400EXC & 950SE, you'll be fine on the Suzuki.

My girlfriend (5'6") rides a DRZ400S, lowered using Talon links at the rear & forks pushed through the yokes to level the bike out.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Hello MillCreel,

Perhaps I can help.

The Suzuki DRZ-SM seat is about 5/8" lower at it's lowest point than the DRZ-S model seat. The middle and rear of the seats are about the same, only the center point of the seat is lower.

This would provide a shorter distance to the ground without any of the negative effects associated with the Suzuki gel seat for the same bike.

And probably the best part to all this is that if you ask around, you can probably find a taller in-seamed rider with a DRZ-SM that would trade you straight up.

Or.... I can build you a seat.

C

I forgot to mention...

Seat height is based on several factors. "Riding inseam" being the most obvious one, but a rider skill level and confidence can have a substantial influence... even where and how you ride will have a bearing on preferred seat height.
Sometimes only the rider can determine what will work best for their needs, regardless of the hard numbers.

OK... I'm done.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,253
I'm 5'11", 170lbs with 32" inseam and don't have a problem getting both feet down. I don't get the whole foot down but more than tippy toes with the stock seat.

With the gel seat on I can stand flat footed. So, you may want to try a gel seat. Also, you can get a lower profile rear tire. It also helps if you slide back on the seat to compress the rear suspention at stops. I fall over sometimes but so far never on the street, always in the woods on uneven terrain.

When you get on the bike step up on the foot peg and then throw a leg over, this keeps you from kicking the rear fender so much.

My brother is 5'10" with a 32" inseam. His bike was lowered when he bought it using the link method. He bottemed out a lot on jumps so he put the bike back to stock and got a gel seat.
mtnflow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
About your dimensions also, I normally only put one foot down at a stop so hadn't really noticed flat footing both feet. I know it doesn't feel as 'tall' as my Dakar or KLRs.
JIm
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillCreel
I am thinking about a recent model Suzuki DRZ400 S series. A possible concern for me is the seat height insofar as it relates to my use of the bike on the street. A search of the forum did not turn up very much on point.

I am 5'10" with a 32 inch "bicycling inseam" (from the pubic bone to the floor). I would like to be able to put at least one foot down without leaning the bike way over.

What say you, ADV riders? Is the bike too tall or can it be lowered without too much effort? I have chatted with one rider who is 5'11' and can just put the toes of one foot down. He has subsequently dumped the bike on the street a number of times and is having $ 300 of lowering work done.
I've ridden them before without much issue and I have a 32" inseam to the ground. Still, if you must, you can get a set of lowering links for the back and raise the forks to the max in the triple clamps to drop it an inch or so. Best way to do it though, is to have travel limiting spacers in the shock and forks. It's expensive, but best. Places like Race Tech can do it and I believe there is some member here who does that sort of work too, usually revalving and springing to suit your personal use. Some competent shop mechanics can put in the spacers, change out fluid, and recharge the shock for you too.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam. I raised the rings on the rear shock a bit and have no problem with one leg down. The more I rode the less of an issue it became. I used to think it was tall, now I don't even notice it.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
I'm 5'9", inseam 31" and I had a DRZ-S for 5 years. With the low gel seat I was fine. That seat isn't any more comfortable than stock though.
The bike was still a little tall for me, but I never dropped it on the street, only off road when I got stopped where I didn't have good footing.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote