Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #2851
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,168
I sold my MTS12 after purchasing the S10. No wheel replacements out there, it is a SSSA (190/55/17) so will require a very special wheel. The balance of the bike is nearly 50/50 so it does very well off road on the 17" front.

Service requirements and how hard it is to work on made the difference for me.

I did not have the ABS so can't comment, but the TC was very intrusive compared to the S10 which is very transparent to the point you don't even notice it.

I weighed them both the same day and found about 50 lbs difference, but the MTS12 feels lighter than that when pushing it around. Short chutes I zoomed to 115 mph on the MTS12, I now do 85 mph on the S10, corners are still fun tho as you know.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #2852
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
Hay listen mate don't treat me like a dickhead, I'm only commenting on my bike. At the moment I have a error code come up on the dash DES which I have had it back but need to take it back next tuesday because they don't know how to clear it so they need to go through a process of illimination. Maybe there is something wrong with my bike not allowing it to be a superbike, the same with Ramv's bike. There's 2 of us commenting about it so what's that make us both fuckheads ah!
In future to keep the brother hood what do you want us to agree with what's ever posted
Sorry you were offended by the question of whether you test rode the bike before you bought it. Seems like a pretty benign question to me, and was intended as such.

You posted to a public board that you don't like the power delivery of the MTS12. OK, either you're just venting, or you want feedback. I'm trying to understand how this came about. Did you test ride it and your bike is somehow different? Did you not test ride it and found that it doesn't suit you? Again, all pretty tame.

And no, I've never said anything about you or Ram being a f*ckhead, but in your case I'll consider it. And since this IS a public board, I'll post what I feel is appropriate, not what someone tells me to do "In the future....".

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #2853
wheels
Practicing to retire

Oddometer: 143
Right on Sock Monkey, I think kieran is a troll. I can't believe anyone would think the mutley is under powered, the bloody thing will wheelie in all modes.

"Full Tilt Bozo Panic"
wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #2854
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Sock, liked your cat post!

I did not get an opportunity to test ride (the local dealers with the exception of BMW don't do test rides, which is part of the reason I bought used on my KTM, no test ride was offered on the Adventure 990R, even though I had bought two bikes in a row from that dealer).

The torque curves are interesting, I definitely don't "feel" that and I would think 45% should be noticable? It runs very well, and I absolutely will slam it into the rev limiter (it definitely doesn't drop off like some bike near redline), if I try to wheelie or get carried away on accelerating in first. It gets to 60 pretty fast and with the 14t it hits the rev limiter about 62.

I definitely don't like the DTC, but it has an off switch, and I am much happier with it now that I have simply disabled it.

Compared to the SE950R, it feels very refined and tame. The Ducati is probably quicker, definitely on top but certainly doesn't have the excitement in getting there. For fun, I ride the SE. For going to meetings, riding 2 up, or just long distances, the MTS seems to do fine. 10 k miles with no dealer vists other then 600 and 7500 maintenance and one rear tire in between.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #2855
gsbuster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by obe01 View Post
Hey there inmates. Sorry to be an absolute lazy prick but I just want a bit of advice and this is the best place to get it.
Johnnie
I read your post and thought you'd be right at home on a BMW R1200GS.
gsbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:00 AM   #2856
Stickywicket
Banned

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Hay listen mate don't treat me like a dickhead, I'm only commenting on my bike. At the moment I have a error code come up on the dash DES which I have had it back but need to take it back next tuesday because they don't know how to clear it so they need to go through a process of illimination. Maybe there is something wrong with my bike not allowing it to be a superbike, the same with Ramv's bike. There's 2 of us commenting about it so what's that make us both fuckheads ah!
In future to keep the brother hood what do you want us to agree with what's ever posted

kieran

I too have the DES error. mine is pre load which the dealer was investigating before they went bust. happens when try to change out of Urban mode and then clears when switch off the bike for a while. means being stuck in urban until I stop the bikeMy nearest dealer now is 2 hours away so would appreciate if you could keep us informed if you manage to get the DES rectified. Over on Ducati.ms there are a number of cases but were all rectified by a different solution

Anyone else had this and found a solution?

Thanks
Stickywicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #2857
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickywicket View Post
kieran

I too have the DES error. mine is pre load which the dealer was investigating before they went bust. happens when try to change out of Urban mode and then clears when switch off the bike for a while. means being stuck in urban until I stop the bikeMy nearest dealer now is 2 hours away so would appreciate if you could keep us informed if you manage to get the DES rectified. Over on Ducati.ms there are a number of cases but were all rectified by a different solution

Thanks
I had this - DES preload error - rectified by a new shock ecu. Previous attempts to reset it or download a different software were only temporarily successful. Since the new shock ecu, no issues in about 10k miles.

The fact that you need a shock ecu is another discussion entirely, but speaks to the complexity of the bike. One of the reasons that I'll be getting an extended warranty.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #2858
Stickywicket
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I had this - DES preload error - rectified by a new shock ecu. Previous attempts to reset it or download a different software were only temporarily successful. Since the new shock ecu, no issues in about 10k miles.

The fact that you need a shock ecu is another discussion entirely, but speaks to the complexity of the bike. One of the reasons that I'll be getting an extended warranty.

thanks Dave.
i will get this done and also will be having the extended warranty.
Due to this and the dealer going bust I was starting to look at the K1600GT. came to my senses thankfully!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #2859
1fastjunebug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Multi 1200...rear brake pedal help

All,

New to the MS1200 after coming off a 12GS and am very pleased with the bike so far.

One problem that I am having with the bike is the size of the "pad" on the rear brake pedal being too small for my large feet. Don't wear the boy toy racer boots so this probably doesn't help.

Have searched the internet for a foot pedal enlarger of some type to no avail. The only thing that seems to be available is the DP set with footpegs, new shifter lever and rear brake pedal for close to a grand, which is definitely beyond my budget.

Does anyone know of a work around to this situation short of going the DP route or heading to the machine shop?

Any and all help would be appreciated.
1fastjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #2860
Kieran
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
kieran

Thanks
Can you tell me what page this was on, and yes I will get back to you on the out come.
Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #2861
Stickywicket
Banned

Quote:
Can you tell me what page this was on, and yes I will get back to you on the out come.
PM sent
Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #2862
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastjunebug View Post
All,

New to the MS1200 after coming off a 12GS and am very pleased with the bike so far.

One problem that I am having with the bike is the size of the "pad" on the rear brake pedal being too small for my large feet. Don't wear the boy toy racer boots so this probably doesn't help.

Have searched the internet for a foot pedal enlarger of some type to no avail. The only thing that seems to be available is the DP set with footpegs, new shifter lever and rear brake pedal for close to a grand, which is definitely beyond my budget.

Does anyone know of a work around to this situation short of going the DP route or heading to the machine shop?

Any and all help would be appreciated.
I don't have any actual assistance, so I will offer this - the rear brake doesn't work worth a shit so don't worry about it. Alternatively, you could get used to it - I ride in Sidi Adventure boots and I don't have any problems with the brake pedal - I did in tall a larger shift lever though.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #2863
MXG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
My wife of 47 read the posts about the lack of passenger comfort. Her response, "try riding on the back of a f'ing Buell".
MXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #2864
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,460
My wife likes the MS pillion way more than the GS1200.... just sayin.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #2865
jpc321
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
kieran

Thanks
I don't wish to alarm you but here's my story regarding the DES Preload error.
Last september my 1200s showed this error.
Since then my dealer has changed the rear shock ecu twice,the rear shock twice,
put new clocks on and finally fitted a complete new wiring loom.
The bike finally came back to me 3 weeks ago and touch wood ,so far so good.
Still the best bike I've ever had,but not without a warranty.
Incidentally my dealer,Ducati Leeds have been brilliant throughout
with what seemed to be little or no help from Ducati UK.
They even supplied and fitted a new back tyre F.O.C because of the hassle I'd had.
Good luck.
jpc321 is offline   Reply With Quote