Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 AM   #3031
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
I work with a guy who just test rode a DMS 1200 and said it was the fastest thing he's ever ridden. I said he took it out onto PCH and in 2nd gear simply rolled on the throttle smoothly and wondered why his perspective was changing and why he felt he needed to more forward so much. It turns out he was lofting the front wheel!

He's been riding for 20 years and currently has an '01 BMW 1200 RT.

He plays squash with this other guy and he was telling him about his experience. The guy said he had a deposit on one a year ago but backed out. Now he's going to go back and get the DMS 1200 based on what he heard from my buddy.

Beautiful bike but I don't know anyone who's really taken the thing on any serious off road stuff.
It is a road bike, not an off road bike! Best upright sports bike around.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #3032
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 463
Not to mention, aside from the tires and fear of rocks destroying the front cylinder head, I have already taken mine on some pretty gnarly single track and dirt paths.
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #3033
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
There are a few folks who have gone truly off-road with their MTS12's:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=40

The bike is capable. The question is, are you?

And FWIW, it will loft the front wheel in gears 1-3 easily, so if you whack the throttle open in Sport mode in those gears, you better have your weight forward!

-SM
that's a great link, thanks.

It might be fun to ride one off road but put a larger front wheel on it.

3rd gear wheelies? fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #3034
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails View Post
It is a road bike, not an off road bike! Best upright sports bike around.
There is a reason why it has a 190/55zr17 on the rear.
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #3035
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
This thread seems to be the catch all for the Multistrada here. Here is a link to my ride report down to Barber Motorsports Park from NYC for a trackday. 1003 miles in 16.5 hours. This bike is a blast!!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788017
Old 05-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #3036
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,445
Make sure they've updated the ECU with the latest software. There is a specific update for the Race ECU that comes with the full-Termi system, but unfortunately this stuff is very hit or miss with dealers, many of which are pretty lost when it comes to service and knowing what exactly the various updates are. They also need to make sure the TPS is set correctly on your bike, or else no update is going to make it run correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnjan View Post
Interesting response and I'm new to the forum - I have an '11 MTS with the full Termi system, installed by the original dealer, and my bike runs like crap in that RPM range as well. The dealers response was "don't ride below 4000RPM" I'm not going back to that dealer and I'll be looking for more productive solutions very soon.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #3037
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 422
Well the test drive on the multistrada got me, went for a ride @ 10 am and went back @ 3 pm and picked mine up. This thing is way faster than my 09 GSA.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #3038
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag00 View Post
Well the test drive on the multistrada got me, went for a ride @ 10 am and went back @ 3 pm and picked mine up. This thing is way faster than my 09 GSA.
Congrats!

Yeah, test rides should be illegal. They're like crack. They know one hit and you're hooked.

If you put the MTS in 100HP mode (Enduro or Urban), it will feel a lot like your GSA. In 150 Low it feels like a GS on steroids. In 150 Hi, fuggetaboutit.

Welcome to the insanity. Enjoy never having to top up your oil again or worrying if your final drive is about to shit itself.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #3039
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:

Welcome to the insanity. Enjoy never having to top up your oil again or worrying if your final drive is about to shit itself.

-SM
Mag00, yes, congrats! instead of the above you'll have new items to worry about....our Multis are far from perfect, but they are fantastic upright riding machines, maybe the best out there.

Enjoy,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #3040
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 422
Thanks guys all I can say is this thing is fast both in speed and handling!!!!!!!!!!! That aside already looking at bar risers and lowered foot pegs to make it a little more comfy.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #3041
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,739
Quote:
Congrats!

Yeah, test rides should be illegal. They're like crack. They know one hit and you're hooked.

And that is exactly why they let you take test rides..........

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #3042
marcf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Multi vs GS... Read on

Ok, so I test rode a Multistrada S Touring yesterday back to back with a GS. Both new 2012 models. No question who wins on speed and handling. Multi also seems to weigh less (anyone know the actual true wet weight numbers for both?).

Where I need help - I've had low back surgery and the harder ride and vibrations from the Multi were bothering my back. The GS is plusher/softer and therefore not a bother. The riding position is better on the Multi and less weight is always better. Any suggestions as to how to iliminate some of the viabration from the seat from creaping up my talibone and spine?

Leaning towards the Multi but may go the GS route for comfort. Both great bikes.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #3043
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcf View Post
Where I need help - I've had low back surgery and the harder ride and vibrations from the Multi were bothering my back. The GS is plusher/softer and therefore not a bother. The riding position is better on the Multi and less weight is always better. Any suggestions as to how to iliminate some of the viabration from the seat from creaping up my talibone and spine?

Leaning towards the Multi but may go the GS route for comfort. Both great bikes.

Thanks
some thoughts,

the MTSs (DES suspension) does offer electronic adjustability allowing the rider to make the suspension more "plush" (along with more stiff/harsh), the factory "Touring" setting is already set up that way, maybe you tried it. having owned both a GS and MTS (at the same time), the GS' longer travel (i believe) may make the bike feel more plush no matter what. as for the vibration coming from the seat, i personally can't feel such, but i would think that a more "comfy" seat (Sargent, Ducati Performance Comfort/Touring, Russell Day Long, Meyer,) might provide the remedy you're looking for.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #3044
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcf View Post
Ok, so I test rode a Multistrada S Touring yesterday back to back with a GS. Both new 2012 models. No question who wins on speed and handling. Multi also seems to weigh less (anyone know the actual true wet weight numbers for both?).

Thanks
The MTS12 is certainly lighter than the GS, and much less top heavy. Pushing it around in a garage or parking lot will tell you both of those things. As for "real" weights, I have no idea, but the Multi feels a good 20-30lbs lighter than my GS, and again, lighter up top. Tipping them side to side, the GS wants to go over WAY sooner, and with more force, than the MTS.

Re. vibes, as Oalvarez said, try different suspension settings. I believe the stock Urban setting is the softest from the factory, but with the DES it can get even softer. Of course by doing that the handling will suffer when you start pushing it, but it's just a button press to a firmer setting. For each riding mode (Sport, Touring, Urban, or Enduro) you have 4 settings (Rider, Rider + bags, Rider + Passenger, Rider + Passenger + bags) that are switchable on the fly. Each of those 4 suspension settings have hundreds of variations of preload, compression damping, and rebound damping, for both the front and rear. With that much adjustability, I'm sure you can find something that suits you. Also, I ride w/ an AirHawk and can highly recommend it for overall comfort. It distributes the weight better on the seat, and provides just a wee bit more cushioning (just don't overfill it! That's the biggest mistake people make with them). I see they now make an AirHawk with a cutout for Mr. Johnson and the twins, so that may be better yet.

As you say, both are excellent bikes. You really can't make a bad selection either way. Get the one that moves your soul as well as your body and have a blast.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #3045
cpittmx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Any tire mfgs making knobbies for the MTS yet?
cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote