Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #3331
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Before my Multi I had a VStrom.........and this same discussion was had. Unfortunately one windscreen does not work for all people.
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #3332
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 296
2bull.
I have the GIVI multi shield, not sure of the 'new' one. It is mounted on Aztec spacers and have used it for about 6 mos, after trying just about all the aftermarket versions out there. It works great for me. I am 6'4" and long torso. Most of the time it is in the low position, but on highway sprints I move it about half way up. I wear a XD3 helmet and little wind issues. It looks very similer to the stock on larger. And most important to me has the stock-like bolt head detents for straight on mounting. I find it a great balance between a barn door and a sport shield. I do tour mostly and long distance, so want protection but not a wall in front of me.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #3333
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
2bull.
I have the GIVI multi shield, not sure of the 'new' one. It is mounted on Aztec spacers and have used it for about 6 mos, after trying just about all the aftermarket versions out there. It works great for me. I am 6'4" and long torso. Most of the time it is in the low position, but on highway sprints I move it about half way up. I wear a XD3 helmet and little wind issues. It looks very similer to the stock on larger. And most important to me has the stock-like bolt head detents for straight on mounting. I find it a great balance between a barn door and a sport shield. I do tour mostly and long distance, so want protection but not a wall in front of me.
Allen.
Thanks Allen. This is PERFECT feedback as I am 6'4" too. Will give the Givi shield a look.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #3334
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I went with the MRA short screen as well. Much happier then the stocker. Doesn't rattle and I don't notice any change in buffetting or noise. It looks better too, in my opnion. And the dam rattle is gone!

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #3335
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,084
Rubber tips on sidecase brackets...

I soon got fed up with those stupid rubber tips, took 'em off and threw 'em away.

Made a wooden "shim" (Arkansas Black Walnut, nuthin' but the best) that I screwed onto the sidecase. Much easier to slip on/off and good for the long haul (20,000 miles and counting).

--Doc

1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #3336
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I too lost one on the right side a while back. I'm thinking of drilling a small hole through the whole assembly towards the front of the rubber pieces and putting a zip tie through them or using epoxy of some sort to glue them on.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #3337
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 936
OK I'm in the process of selling my bikes with the intent of backing away from rinding for awhile. I've been riding more or less non-stop for over 30 years. At some point I may consider getting back into it, and the Multistrada is a top candidate. I test rode a 2010 Standard ABS model, so I know how it performs. But that was a 20 minute fling, not a long-term relationship.

I've read about the fueling issue, which apparently a reflash fixes. And the leaky bags. How has your Multistrada treated you? Any showstoppers that made you think that you made a mistake? Reliability? Ever strand you? Dealer support/attitude? Minor irratations? Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of the keyless ignition -- I'd rather have a key. The automatic steering lock is something I can do without as well.

Thanks.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #3338
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
OK I'm in the process of selling my bikes with the intent of backing away from rinding for awhile. I've been riding more or less non-stop for over 30 years. At some point I may consider getting back into it, and the Multistrada is a top candidate. I test rode a 2010 Standard ABS model, so I know how it performs. But that was a 20 minute fling, not a long-term relationship.

I've read about the fueling issue, which apparently a reflash fixes. And the leaky bags. How has your Multistrada treated you? Any showstoppers that made you think that you made a mistake? Reliability? Ever strand you? Dealer support/attitude? Minor irratations? Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of the keyless ignition -- I'd rather have a key. The automatic steering lock is something I can do without as well.

Thanks.
To answer your questions: Great. No. Great. No. Great. No.

12k miles on my '10 Sport (bought new in Feb '11) and so far it's been the least troublesome of the 1200's I've owned. The only issue I've had is a fuel sensor that went bonkers and wouldn't read past half full. Dealer replaced it under warranty and it's been perfect since then. Keyless ignition and electronic steering lock have also been perfect (touching wood.....).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #3339
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
No showstoppers...

Luggage is annoying, finicky, overpriced and poorly made.

Keyless key doesn't work if you have a blackberry near it, other wise ok, I guess. Not sure I see the point. My other keys were less likely to get lost or interfere with the ignition.

Local dealer is terrible, but they are a Honda/KTM/Ducati/Kawi/Polaris/Aprilla so I can't say they would be better or worse then other dealers. Bought a Honda from there 10 years ago and it was a much better experience so I am guessing just a change in their own practices not Ducati related.

Fueling is fine after the re-flash, doubt the '11+ are bad at all. Mileage is great, (45+) . If you ride at altitude I would recommend gearing down, it helps a lot on the highway. I have a 14 t countershaft, would like to go lower.

Reliability has been great, 12,500 miles now, only breakdown was a flat tire, not the bikes fault.

Rear brake is terrible. Clutch is awesome, slipper, engagement et al is fantastic.

I think if you put heavier springs, better tires (I have a PR-3 rear and Distanzia super moto front), lower gears, the bike is great. Not unrealistic fine tuning compared to anything else on the road.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #3340
Nightstrom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I have questioned Ducati's reliability as well. This has to be the BEST looking adv style bike I have ever seen. Just gorgeous. Just like with Italian cars and such, every line of the bike is very thought out. I am 41, and have always been conservative on how much I spent on a bike. I dont think I have every spent over 11K on a bike. This time around I am getting what I want (around 20K or so), but I dont want to spend that kind of money to have something that has semi frequent issues. I also am interested in mileage, and any issues. I have always had Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha, and just havent had to do much of anything except tires, brakes, and tune ups.
Nightstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #3341
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I have have the V Stream short and would agree it is better than standard but not perfect.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #3342
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Mileage - 38mpg avg on "all roads" (from 25mph to lose-your-license ), low/mid 40's on tours at reasonable speeds (<75mph avg). Expect the fuel light to come on around 160 miles and plan on walking after 200 miles. That's the price you pay for those 150 ponies.

Note the above mileage figures are with a stock bike. Full Termi w/ race ECU, Bazzaz, etc will richen things up and consume more fuel, so the numbers will go down.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #3343
mfaoro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
2bull.
Allen.
Hi Lucky,

Is this the screen you have:
http://www.helmetheadcycle.com/produ...200-windshield
Old 07-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #3344
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 296
Yes the givi screen I have with Aztec's spacers.
Lucky Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #3345
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Here's one for you MTS experts. When I picked up the motorcycle it had the dreaded des pre load error. ECU swapped and all seemed to be fine.

Now only 2,000 miles and 2 months into ownership I'm getting a DES REAR-REBOUND error. Took it to the dealer, the read the error code and checked everything it said to check, but no dice. They swapped the ECU again and it still posted the error. Any ideas?

This motorcycle has less than 5,000 miles on it and has now had 2 DES errors. Not a whole lot of confidence in the system at the moment.
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote