Does that PP look the bollocks or what?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #4037
gsride1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreazz View Post
Yes, we all will suffer from PMS (parked motorcycle syndrom) for a couple of months now.. The good thing is that I no have time to clean the bike up properly and surf the internet for some new things to it

Is it an facelifted, Skyhook MTS you have ordered? I was lucky enough to test ride one in Spain this October

crappy iPhone pic:
Yes that is the exact one have ordered and they said early December delivery. Also have a few accessories including the termi exhaust on order for it.

I am pretty sure I will strip down the front end in the winter and get the fork tubes anodized in gold (vain) its just the first picture I saw of the bike (below) had gold ones and a few of my other bikes sport gold tubes so I'm going to be a poser and get that done.

I just couldnt resist the paint scheme that matches the beautiful Desmo!

gsride1 screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:50 PM
gsride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #4038
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Does that PP look the bollocks or what?

Nothing more needs to be said.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #4039
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Just a quick headsup on the cost of respringing our Multi's...have checked a few places for the cost of both front and rear....everyone was over $1,000 except for Ducati Greensboro who was $675. Thought that was a very good price.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #4040
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Just a quick headsup on the cost of respringing our Multi's...have checked a few places for the cost of both front and rear....everyone was over $1,000 except for Ducati Greensboro who was $675. Thought that was a very good price.

the rear spring should be around $100, the front springs around $200+.......i can't see labor being anywhere near $700 for that job...maybe i'm wrong.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #4041
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
the rear spring should be around $100, the front springs around $200+.......i can't see labor being anywhere near $700 for that job...maybe i'm wrong.
What I was told was 5 hrs labor for the front and 2 hrs for the back at $103 per labor hour, $721 in labor. They described the front as
" the same number of hours as required for complete fork rebuild", believe it at your own risk.

This was the same guy who when asked about the rear brake TSB replied " It's not really a rear brake , Ducati intended it to be a 'rear stabilizer'...." After asking why is the brake fluid black after 2,700 miles, he said he would try to get the TSB approved.

KHVol screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 02:45 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #4042
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
I think I paid about $600, including the purchase of the springs
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #4043
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
If you ever sit in a Motorcycle Suspension shop and watch the procedure you may see why. I would not say its a difficult job (if you know the bike, have the correct tools, and know whats involved) but a time consuming.
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #4044
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
What I was told was 5 hrs labor for the front and 2 hrs for the back at $103 per labor hour, $721 in labor. They described the front as
" the same number of hours as required for complete fork rebuild", believe it at your own risk.
The question is whether you want them to disassemble the fork and drain out all the oil, then replace springs and oil, or just to drop in new springs and leave everything else in place. (AFAIK.)

I remember reading somewhere recently someone from Ohlins saying just dropping in new springs was fine. There would be a bit of oil lost on the springs taken out but not enough to worry about, and you could add a few ccs more to compensate and (I am assuming) measure the oil level before and after, which will be the critical issue as Ohlins relies on the air in the fork resisting compression to prevent harsh bottoming out. (Again, AFAIK.)

Even for the whole disassembly tho, five hours sounds somewhat generous.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #4045
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 967
Why all the spring swaps on the Ohlins-equipped MTSs?
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #4046
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Why all the spring swaps on the Ohlins-equipped MTSs?
If you weigh more than 180lbs with gear, you need stiffer springs or you end up blowing through the stockers on relatively minor hits.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #4047
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
If you weigh more than 180lbs with gear, you need stiffer springs or you end up blowing through the stockers on relatively minor hits.

-SM
At Laguna Seca this year I was chatting to the Ohlins guy, and the default spring selection is so that you can max preload in Enduro mode, raising the rear ride height, without too much compromise to the ride quality. So the stockers are a compromise with that, along with the rest of the 'bikes sprung for 150lb riders' thing.

Oddly, I was the first guy my local dealer had had swap the springs out, however, and I'm not exactly heavy -- 195 or so in my boxers.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #4048
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
At Laguna Seca this year I was chatting to the Ohlins guy, and the default spring selection is so that you can max preload in Enduro mode, raising the rear ride height, without too much compromise to the ride quality. So the stockers are a compromise with that, along with the rest of the 'bikes sprung for 150lb riders' thing.

Oddly, I was the first guy my local dealer had had swap the springs out, however, and I'm not exactly heavy -- 195 or so in my boxers.
That explains why mine turned so much better after increasing the rear preload...rear ride height
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #4049
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post

Interesting. I wonder how the Sachs with Skyhook will work across the four riding modes. Which will the compromises be with a two-stage spring and the skyhook system. Besides the obvious possible compromises of the electronics and the related systems, or the newness of it, that one may assume will exist. I'm just wondering about performance of the system across the range.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #4050
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
If you ever sit in a Motorcycle Suspension shop and watch the procedure you may see why. I would not say its a difficult job (if you know the bike, have the correct tools, and know whats involved) but a time consuming.
i've seen it done. changing out the fork springs on that bike is not a time intensive procedure as one of the other posters mentioned. having said that, i appreciate what you're saying.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote