Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #4546
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
What's the "normal" price everyone is paying for the 2013 MTS? Are the dealers abe to get MSRP or is there any negotiating going on?

I'm drooling over getting one of these bad boys...
It depends on where you live. It can also have an effect whether you're an established customer or first time buyer, or even if they think you'll come back for parts or service. I got a discount, but I'm a long time customer, buy parts and get it serviced there.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #4547
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 495
First ride - WOW!

First rides on your new bike can be unnerving. I'm always a little concerned if i have made the right choice and you never know until you have done some miles. I had a day off from work and took my first ride on my new to me 2011 mts 1200 S touring today and i am thrilled to say this is one kick ass motorcycle!

This is my first water cooled Duc but I knew the motor would be fantastic. Awesome, usable power and tons of personality exuding from that lovely sounding and loud V-twin were to be expected. Power delivery was smooth enough, linear and tractable with a real nice top end rush to the redline. The real surprise to me was the handling. This bike turns instantly like my KTM supermoto and handles like a bike seemingly 100lbs lighter than it really is. Definitely sport-bike like yet thanks to the DES it is also very supple on the bumps. The great steering lock and balanced ergos make u-turns a snap and the Sargent seat and calsci screen kept it comfortable in the sub 35 degrees weather. At 6'4" with size 14 boot i was worried about fitting but i was very comfortable.

Complaints? only that I will need more fore aft movement in the seat for longer rides and my finger flips the high beam on during spirited cornering. Also the starting doesn't instill confidence...it seems to hesitate for a second before cranking over. Overall i would say we're off to a great start.

gkaan screwed with this post 02-18-2013 at 05:55 PM
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #4548
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaan View Post
Complaints? only that I will need more fore aft movement in the seat for longer rides and my finger flips the high beam on during spirited cornering. Also the starting doesn't instill confidence...it seems to hesitate for a second before cranking over. Overall i would say we're off to a great start.
Congrats. A common statement concerning the MTS 1200 is the slow cranking of the starter. Mine has always been slow but has always started.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #4549
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Holy Windscreen Batman!
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #4550
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,035
MTS12 starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaan View Post
...it seems to hesitate for a second before cranking over...
It always sounds to me like the starter motor is saying "PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE..." as it's cranking. Kinda rhymes with "WHEEZE, WHEEZE, WHEEZE..."

Would be nice if it were more, uh, authoritative. But they always seem to start (well, there was this once...)

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #4551
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,427
Popemobile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
Holy Windscreen Batman!
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #4552
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 257
I eventually got used to a slow starter. Have you considered changing the seat out to a 2012 seat? You have to make one minor mod to be able to accept 2012 seats. The 2012 will give you more fore/aft movement.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #4553
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Regarding starting, mine has one odd symptom. It catches and starts quite quickly on the first try, then stalls out within a second or two. The second push on the button fires it virtually instantly and it's good from there. I don't use the throttle with FI bikes in respect to the throttle position sensor, and most of my riding and experience has been in 40 degree temps, so this may be a function of the cold weather, but it consistently does this bit where it takes two goes at the starter. This only happens on the first start of the day. Once it's warm, one push does it. I suspect something in the cold start circuitry of course.

I have very few complaints and no faults that I would consider other than inherent qualities of the bike.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #4554
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
What's the "normal" price everyone is paying for the 2013 MTS? Are the dealers abe to get MSRP or is there any negotiating going on?

I am also in the market. I live in No California so it will be hard to get much of a deal. But it is so expensive every little bit helps.
Still thinking about a 2012 used. But the evolution of the engine keeps pulling me to the 2013.again, anyone get a '13 for less than MSRP?
Also, can you add the extended warranty later?
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #4555
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:

I'm guessing you're not in Australia, where we get right-royally screwed on these: Try USD$32,094.........and our AUD$ is stronger than the US currency!!!

Bitching aside I just bought one of the new 2013 Touring S models. Did a half day as a test on one, and the biggest surprise is the Skyhook suspension. I always thought the Ohlins-shod bikes were outstanding in the handling/ride department, but the new semi-active Sachs units are in another league.

If you are used to sportbike handling, then these will take some getting used to; they don't dive or squat under brakes or accelerating anywhere near as much as conventional units. In fact the closest analogy i can make is that they feel more like the Telelever front ends on BMW GSs. Whilst unnerving at first once you accept that the electrickery is doing it's stuff then you can just get on with the job of riding the living joy out of the bike. Ride quality is firm but not harsh (i had it in Touring mode only), and the changes to the engine (new injectors/twin-plug/air bypass) make it make smoother at low revs. All in all a good effort at improving an already great bike.
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #4556
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0t0Rider View Post
Holy Windscreen Batman!
Good grief. No kidding. That's ... tall.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #4557
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
Good grief. No kidding. That's ... tall.
At 6'4" so is the rider. Then again, that's still a too much IMHO, if you don't like wind you probably shouldn't be riding. :)
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #4558
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,339
dunlop 616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I got out on my Multi yesterday for a couple hundred miles, for the first time since last March! My last ride was coming back from west Texas, with a broken foot, tires showing the belts, and a nail in the rear! For future reference, I will never remove a cast at home so I can go on a motorcycle trip! I was able to limp it home that last 100 miles after seeing the nail, and made it to a BMW dealer just outside of Houston. My tire choices were limited, but they strongly recommended the Dunlop Sportmax Q2's, which they had in my size. I got home with my new tires, and the bike has been parked since. I took my first ride on the Dunlops yesterday, and they were fantastic! Supple, loads of feedback, and grip! I can't wait to get a set on my HP2S. If you've got a Multi that lives on the pavement, I'd strongly recommend these Dunlop Q2's!
i mounted these 1500 miles ago. Love them and no problems with the 190/50 and the DTC. great tire in all conditions so far.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM   #4559
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 495
Popemobile

The windscreen is tall i agree but it will be removed as soon as the temperature hits 40+. Fortunately I have the OEM and a tinted black one as well all supplied by the PO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
At 6'4" so is the rider. Then again, that's still a too much IMHO, if you don't like wind you probably shouldn't be riding. :)
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #4560
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
I eventually got used to a slow starter. Have you considered changing the seat out to a 2012 seat? You have to make one minor mod to be able to accept 2012 seats. The 2012 will give you more fore/aft movement.
What's the mod?
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote