Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #4681
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hi Sock Monkey , I realize once they are reflashed they run the same , but was the ECU on the 2011 already reflashed when you picked them up at the dealer ?
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #4682
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoisgreat View Post
Hi Sock Monkey , I realize once they are reflashed they run the same , but was the ECU on the 2011 already reflashed when you picked them up at the dealer ?
There were probably 10 different ECU updates across the '10-'12 model years, maybe more. When you ask "was the ECU on the 2011 already reflashed when you picked them up at the dealer", the answer is yes, it had a different rev than what shipped as stock on the '10, but there have been even more updates since then. So, while the stock '11 bikes were different from the stock '10 bikes, the stock '11 bike still isn't on the most recent rev. Make sense?

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #4683
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
There were probably 10 different ECU updates across the '10-'12 model years, maybe more. When you ask "was the ECU on the 2011 already reflashed when you picked them up at the dealer", the answer is yes, it had a different rev than what shipped as stock on the '10, but there have been even more updates since then. So, while the stock '11 bikes were different from the stock '10 bikes, the stock '11 bike still isn't on the most recent rev. Make sense?

-SM
Last I was at my dealer, which was just a week or so ago (just sort of dropping in) they asked if I had a few seconds and they would do the latest flash for me. It had something to do with squaring away the steering lock. Now, bearing in mind that my bike was built in April 2012 and delivered to me in October, that should give an idea of just how frequent new software/firmware comes along.

I was happy to get the flash and I have to say, it seemed to me (possibly entirely by placebo effect) that the bike ran even better. The procedure for deploying the lock is a bit different, by the way; you have to hold the switch down a bit longer.

A relationship with a good dealer is a key to satisfaction with these bikes, as it is with all the latest machinery that employs a lot of electronic trickery.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #4684
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Last I was at my dealer, which was just a week or so ago (just sort of dropping in) they asked if I had a few seconds and they would do the latest flash for me. It had something to do with squaring away the steering lock. Now, bearing in mind that my bike was built in April 2012 and delivered to me in October, that should give an idea of just how frequent new software/firmware comes along.

I was happy to get the flash and I have to say, it seemed to me (possibly entirely by placebo effect) that the bike ran even better. The procedure for deploying the lock is a bit different, by the way; you have to hold the switch down a bit longer.

A relationship with a good dealer is a key to satisfaction with these bikes, as it is with all the latest machinery that employs a lot of electronic trickery.
Ducati, in my experience (only 2 years), has been excellent in regards to listening to customers and constantly refining their bike(s). Not all the flashes have to do with ECU/EFI, but lots of little tweaks here and there to make things just a bit better....constantly. To some this might be an irritant, but I found it refreshing having come from a different brand that refused to acknowledge issues with their products. Every time I brought my Multi into the shop, there were little tweaks to the suspension ECU, dash ECU, and sometimes engine ECU.

Ducati is certainly passionate about their products, and it always felt good to know they didn't wash their hands of a product once it was out the door. Again, this is just my personal experience as a new-to-the-brand Ducati owner with a little over 2 years of MTS12 ownership. I know others have tales of woe, but mine isn't one of them. As Pamero states, I think a good dealer has a lot to do with that, but even then, if the manufacturer won't stand behind the product, the best dealer in the world is still screwed (and so is the owner of the bike).

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #4685
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Ducati, in my experience (only 2 years), has been excellent in regards to listening to customers and constantly refining their bike(s). Not all the flashes have to do with ECU/EFI, but lots of little tweaks here and there to make things just a bit better....constantly. To some this might be an irritant, but I found it refreshing having come from a different brand that refused to acknowledge issues with their products. Every time I brought my Multi into the shop, there were little tweaks to the suspension ECU, dash ECU, and sometimes engine ECU.

Ducati is certainly passionate about their products, and it always felt good to know they didn't wash their hands of a product once it was out the door. Again, this is just my personal experience as a new-to-the-brand Ducati owner with a little over 2 years of MTS12 ownership. I know others have tales of woe, but mine isn't one of them. As Pamero states, I think a good dealer has a lot to do with that, but even then, if the manufacturer won't stand behind the product, the best dealer in the world is still screwed (and so is the owner of the bike).

-SM
Agree, and I'm happy Ducati are improving and refining our bikes as they introduce the '13s. So far my ownership experience has been satisfying and my few requests have been met with willingness and a positive attitude. But then, I haven't had much to bitch about.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #4686
crowonapost
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:

-SM
I really appreciate your post because it's the exact same experience I've had. I really like that Ducati goes out of their way to constantly refine their machines for the customer. It makes me feel even more loyal to them than the sheer wonder of their machines.
crowonapost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #4687
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Unfortuanately in Calgary there is no current Ducati Dealer, Ducati Calgary lost there dealership 1 month after I bought the bike on January 25 ,2013 , and my new 2011 has had no updates , currently I would have to drive to Edmonton which is 220 miles away for the first service so I would not void the factory warranty , I guess they will do the ECU updates then .
Old 03-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #4688
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 265
Sco - I wrote about the Calgary dealer a few weeks ago and share your frustration. In my view, Shagannappi misrepresented themselves and based on what I heard happened, it's probably good that the Wild brothers are out of it. It still leaves us with no dealer tho.

See my thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862582

Desmodab

p.s. I'm in McKenzie Lake - let me know if you are close and want to get together.
desmodab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #4689
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Laugh

Hi Desmodab , I read your post a few weeks ago , I get the bike delivered this coming Saturday , I may have to drive to Edmonton for the 1000 km first service so I don't void the factory warranty , although when I spoke to a tech at the former Ducati Calgary last week he said the Canada rep was trying to get a new dealer in Calgary by April 1 , given there past record , I wouldn't hold my breath . I did manage to get the AGIP [pink] antifreeze installed but it was a hassle [ 20 emails & had to get Ducati in Italy involved to make it happen ] . I got an extended SAL superior warranty [ covers everything ] for 5 years & $50 deductible , the first 2 yrs coincide with the 2 yr Ducati warranty , the brothers qouted me $1972 then I got them down to $1700 , after phoning around to other dealers for the exact same warranty the $1700 was pretty standard until I called Pro-am and got the identical warranty for $1222 which for Canada was a great price . Will have to get together for a ride once I get her broke in .
Old 03-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #4690
Andreazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:

This software-update is for the handsfree unit only. Just a new and improved operation of the streering lock. This software was made with the 2013 bikes, and is now available for the "older" bikes. It has nothing to do with the engine mapping
Andreazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #4691
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 265
Sco - great info, I am esspecially happy about the warranty info - I'll give ProAm a call.

I am due for my 12K service so will be heading North also...

d
desmodab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #4692
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 39,378
Jeez what a sweet bike. Had the bike in for it’s first 600 mile service several weeks ago then went on our yearly winter escape to Puerto Vallarta Mexico with G-wife.
Got back last week and the weather has been warm enough to ride the Sierras. I love the way this bike handles and the power is more than adequate. A small twist of the wrist is all it takes to seed up or slow down. It is an almost effortless bike to ride. Found myself accelerating though a turn before I was even in the turn. Should have bought one sooner.

Love the sound of the motor. It’s a head turner and sure gets attention when coming into intersections or just passing through small towns in the foothills.

I seem to be getting a just a little north of 40mpg. Oil level does not change .
Can’t seem to stay off the darn thing. Supposed to be in the low 60's today.

Carpe Vroom!!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #4693
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreazz View Post
This software-update is for the handsfree unit only. Just a new and improved operation of the streering lock. This software was made with the 2013 bikes, and is now available for the "older" bikes. It has nothing to do with the engine mapping
I understood that when my bike was flashed. I believe I mentioned"placebo effect" n'est ce pas? Parenthetically, my bike exhibits only a most modest bit of the lean surging and rough low rpm running a lot of people complain about....or.....I am less sensitive to it. Above 3Kor so it pulls clean in any gear, though I don't and it doesn't like big handfulls of throttle at those engine speeds in fifth or sixth.
In the last few days I have piled about 1000 miles on my machine, and it is notably looser and even better running, and that is crossing with the reflash as this bike truly breaks in.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #4694
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
I understood that when my bike was flashed. I believe I mentioned"placebo effect" n'est ce pas? Parenthetically, my bike exhibits only a most modest bit of the lean surging and rough low rpm running a lot of people complain about....or.....I am less sensitive to it. Above 3Kor so it pulls clean in any gear, though I don't and it doesn't like big handfulls of throttle at those engine speeds in fifth or sixth.
In the last few days I have piled about 1000 miles on my machine, and it is notably looser and even better running, and that is crossing with the reflash as this bike truly breaks in.
Keep in mind you're in a cool, damp climate and probably been sticking pretty close to sea level so far. I suspect if you have it up in say, Winthrop in July, you'll notice that surging more. :)

And there's just no getting around the effect those big twin power pulses have on a chain drive at low RPM, it'll always be lumpy when lugging the motor.
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #4695
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
How hard or easy is it to remove the side panniers on a touring S? My riding friend has a V-strom & when he "quick detaches" his panniers it leaves ugly brackets.. Same with MTS? So he never ever rides without them attached.
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote