Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #4786
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoisgreat View Post

Pampero - Thats the problem with Calagry , it can be " winter " any month of the year , no kidding , I have seen it snow here in EVERY month of the year over a period of 55 years .
It sounds like we'll be doing this in Seattle, where it is only winter 9 months of the year and the main difference between winter and summer is if it's drizzling or coming down in buckets. On the plus side we don't get much snow!

C'mon down. I have red touch up paint to fix the road scars you'll collect on the way down. You say your bike is titanium? No problem, red goes well with titanium! You won't collect any chips on the way home, so it will all be good! White and red works too!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #4787
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
I believe that's the one I'm running, just in dark smoke. Light smoke is, I think, better looking.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #4788
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Well I'm coming up on 1 year with my 2012 multistrada 1200. As someone who normally changes bikes every couple years, I'm still in love with it. It's been 100% reliable with no issues requiring a dealer. I have several bikes and as such my miles are spread out between them, so I only have 4k miles on it. Things I love about it:the power, the suspension (I have the S) and handling, the ergonomics, the techie instrument panel, the all day comfort, the wicked good looks. I love that it comes with all the things I normally have to add: ohlins, powlerlet plugs, heated grips. Things I'm not crazy about, the short range/thirst, gearing/fueling needs some refinement as it's geared too tall, I get occasional false neutrals between 5th and 6th gear, and the shock spring could be a little heavier for those over 200lbs in gear. I'm not a huge fan of keyless start on a bike and would prefer a real key for the sake of simplicity/reliability although I've had no issues with it. Minor quibbles in the big scheme of things. It's a wonderful, reliable bike for those with deep pockets and enough skills or restraint to handle the power. I use it as a sport touring bike rather than an adventure touring bike.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 03:34 PM
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #4789
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
new member of the Multi club

Leftover 2012 1200ST. Just brought it home today.

atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #4790
GarageMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Headed up to a dealer about 40 miles away more so to look at their Yamahas and specifically wanted to sit on a KTM 990 SMT (which they didn't have)

Walked by the Ducatis and having not seen a Multi in person I always imagined they'd be so much larger than they were, so I always wrote them off in my mind. I originally mistook it for a Hyperstrada. Threw a leg over and wow. I've never thrown a leg over a bike that fit so well without even riding it. Weather was poor so no test ride, but I am in love.
GarageMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #4791
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
those titanium models look really sweet - thats what I would have picked up if it was available

as it is I'm still happy with my 2010s in white, I just got it shipped out to flagstaff from dallas, so I haven't had it in a few months and I'm looking forward to getting back on it -- 34000 miles now and going strong
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #4792
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Finally managed to get a few more miles on mine. Impressive steed. So fast and light. Combines performance and practicality in a well thought out way. Excellent bike.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #4793
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMonkey View Post
Headed up to a dealer about 40 miles away more so to look at their Yamahas and specifically wanted to sit on a KTM 990 SMT (which they didn't have)

Walked by the Ducatis and having not seen a Multi in person I always imagined they'd be so much larger than they were, so I always wrote them off in my mind. I originally mistook it for a Hyperstrada. Threw a leg over and wow. I've never thrown a leg over a bike that fit so well without even riding it. Weather was poor so no test ride, but I am in love.
Wait until you get a chance for a ride...love will turn to infatuation...infatuation turns into lust...lust turns into a hole in you bank account...hole in your bank account turns into miles and miles of the biggest grins you can imagine.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #4794
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Thanks, it is clean but it ought to be...it's new. Just another red Multi on the way to somewhere.

You can do it. If you get your work area clean, go at it with clean hands and a clean bike, you're in. I found it relaxing in the special way that focusing on a pleasant task can make things enjoyable. You get a couple of cracks at getting the film where it needs to be; it's not a question of laying it on right the first time. You can slide it around and then "fix" it at a corner or where needed using an alcohol spray, or just setting it with the squeegee. You get plenty of working time, it's not a race.

I waxed the bike (they tell you to do that) and wiped down each panel with a fresh micro fiber cloth before spraying on the soap solution and peeling the 3M stuff off the paper. If I felt dust had settled (it does so remarkably fast) I used a detailer (McGuires) to dust off the surface just before going at it again. OCD, I tell you.

I detailed the bike before I started, and I rubbed out any small crazing ( small circular scratches that are visible in the sun and seem to appear from nowhere) before waxing. For that part I used Zymol "cleanse." Using that product is not key, and the process was not called out in their instructions but I wanted a clean canvas. For all that, I still managed to encapsulate the odd dog hair and bug leg. Close inspection reveals a few minor issues and the nose fairing in particular was frustrating but the film is very forgiving. It really is more a question of patience than anything else. By the time I got to the last panels, I was zipping right along and my work was cleaner too.

A person moderately accustomed to working with his or her hands can accomplish this over a matter of several easier sessions or one ass breaker and end up really enjoying the process and the results. I should mention here that I have a lot of experience with finishes as I owned, painted and varnished wooden boats (as a hobby, not a career) for many years, but I doubt that had much to do with the outcome except that I understand how to make surfaces clean and have decent knowledge of how finishes "work."

Do you think I might have a career here?

I can say that nobody would have been happy to pay me by the hour for the job, but I'm pretty sure I could get it done a lot faster now. In the end I enjoyed the process and the result. I'd recommend taking a crack at it to anybody who feels they have the patience to see it through. That is the key element. You truly do pick up the knack along the way.
Now that you are describing this in more detail, you scare the heck out of me. OCD? I like quality and detail, but can't deliver it myself. All these cleaning the bike, detailing... I think I will line it up with the Calgary dude. Seattle is not too far from me, Calgary would be a great excuse for taking many scenic detours with a nice machine.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #4795
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
Wait until you get a chance for a ride...love will turn to infatuation...infatuation turns into lust...lust turns into a hole in you bank account...hole in your bank account turns into miles and miles of the biggest grins you can imagine.

All nice and dandy until your wife says: it is her or me. Not my case, BTW.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #4796
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Now that you are describing this in more detail, you scare the heck out of me. OCD? I like quality and detail, but can't deliver it myself. All these cleaning the bike, detailing... I think I will line it up with the Calgary dude. Seattle is not too far from me, Calgary would be a great excuse for taking many scenic detours with a nice machine.
You can take it as far or make it as easy as your own taste dictates. I thoroughly detailed my bike because I felt I'd be locking in "the look" for an extended period of time. You could just give the bike a good wash and move on. But who am I to deprive your local professional of your custom?

If I have motivated just one native to indemnify himself and his beloved partner from the terrible consequences of dangerous behaviors without suitable protection, I am content!

Seriously: I have no idea if this approach makes universal sense, but it did to me, and at the price of not much cash and a few hours of labor, it's done. As it is with all these things, you have to judge the effort and cost against your own yardstick. For me, it was a bit of an experiment that seems to have turned out well. I had the time and interest to put in; clearly that won't align for everybody.

Pampero screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 01:11 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #4797
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
All nice and dandy until your wife says: it is her or me. Not my case, BTW.
I'd probably miss her at some point (the wife that is.....I'd keep the bike).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #4798
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I'd probably miss her at some point (the wife that is.....I'd keep the bike).
-SM
...says the guy with the 'FOR SALE' sign on his Multistrada.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #4799
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
If I have motivated just one native to cover himself and his beloved partner from the terrible consequences of dangerous behaviors without suitable protection, I am content!

I'd rather be riding!

Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #4800
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
...says the guy with the 'FOR SALE' sign on his Multistrada.
It's not my only bike, and my reason for selling has nothing to do with the wishes of Mrs Monkey......

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 01:18 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote