Originally Posted by davyjones View Post
Picked up my new 2012 MS1200 last weekend and wow, what an amazing bike
Congratulations, Davy!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #5117
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,694
Had a new rear tire and the oil changed yesterday. Weirdly, the fluid in the rear brake was black (I had it flushed) but more bizarrely the pads were worn more than the front. Bear in mind the only time I use the rear is to keep the bike from rolling backwards at a stop.

No sign of binding or other reasons for the high wear rate. Very strange.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #5118
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Had a new rear tire and the oil changed yesterday. Weirdly, the fluid in the rear brake was black (I had it flushed) but more bizarrely the pads were worn more than the front. Bear in mind the only time I use the rear is to keep the bike from rolling backwards at a stop.

the dark brake fluid on the Ducati Mulitstrada 1200s is a very well known and written about topic (see Ducati.MS). if you look at your front brake fluid reservoir, it is most probably not dark in color. many (close to all?) believe that it is due to the rear brake fluid reservoir's location (adjacent to a heat source, the cat and motor), and related to the reason for the poorly functioning rear brake (i'm surprised yours keeps the bike from rolling backwards at a stop ). regardless, the only way to fight the fluid from becoming dark so quickly is to use a different type of brake oil (speak to your tech, peruse, etc.), because if not, the same will happen, and happen fast. as for your rear brake pads being worn more than the front (and without use), perhaps the obvious is happening in your case (maybe not binding but caliper/rotor related) but tough for me to say if so, maybe your tech? could help here as well. fwiw, i haven't heard of such happening before.

i hope you're enjoying your bike.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #5119
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post

i hope you're enjoying your bike.
Are you kidding me? Best motorcycle I've ever owned

Sadly, I suspect the rear shock is going to need a rebuild after only 11,000 miles. It's starting to feel a little sagged and bouncy (I have the stock suspension not the Ohlins ESA). Perhaps a replacement Ohlins would be best
Old 07-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #5120
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
it is an amazing motorcycle.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #5121
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:

Sadly, I suspect the rear shock is going to need a rebuild after only 11,000 miles. It's starting to feel a little sagged and bouncy (I have the stock suspension not the Ohlins ESA). Perhaps a replacement Ohlins would be best
i think you'd be really happy with a Ohlins shock unit, and i'm not saying that the oem kit isn't good. give Dan Kyle of Kyle Racing a call if you choose to, he's quite the authority when it comes to Ohlins here in the USA.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #5122
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
i think you'd be really happy with a Ohlins shock unit, and i'm not saying that the oem kit isn't good. give Dan Kyle of Kyle Racing a call if you choose to, he's quite the authority when it comes to Ohlins here in the USA.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #5123
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:

Less than 2000km on mine and I noticed the fluid has gone dark too. I wonder if a full Termi system will help cure the problem

And you are right, best damn bike ever, we are riding a classic, from the trellis frame era that Ducati went through often quoted as their golden years of making bikes
Old 07-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #5124
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 463
I have had my rear brake bled 5 times now.
Replaced the fluid with the recommended replacement "higher temp" fluid.
They also replaced the rear line.
They just replaced the rear master cylinder.

So far (previously after the bleeds or the line replacement, the rear brake would fully fail within 100 miles), so good. Nice solid pedal feel. No fade.
I rarely use my rear brake on pavement but favor it in loose gravel or loose dirt.
Or to hold myself at a light.
So it isn't like I am over using the rear brakes.

Apparently, Ducati thought so much of the braking system that the rear MC, line and the entire ABS pump have been replaced on the 2013 bikes.
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #5125
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
The fluid in my 13 started to darken at about 2000 miles give or take a few. Now after 5500 miles it's very dark in both front and rear M/C's but the brakes still work as they did when new. The rear is and always has been a bit shy of strong but it does work. At first it was kind of weird because it was not close to as strong as the rear on my other bikes VFR ABS, YZF 750, etc. But now that I'm used to it, it's a non issue.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:12 AM   #5126
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:

I just got done flushing the rear brake on my 2010, at 5k miles (2nd season, bought new last fall), due to spongy brake feel and dark fluid. The bleeding is a bit of a pain since you have to remove the caliper and orientate it so that the bleeder is at the highest point. I ended up using the same DOT4 spec fluid as original. I expect that this will be a yearly routine on this bike, at lease it will as long as I keep the OEM pre-muffler/CAT.

Fantastic bike, wish I had more time for riding and better roads in my area.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #5127
multistraddler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
5127 posts in this thread?!? Where's the FAQ/executive summary? :)
Picking up my used 2012 Standard this weekend that I bought from an inmate. Very excited to throw a leg over the beast again.
Actually, having been a long time admirer of this bike and even longer time rider of the 1st gen, I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. One thing I'm still debating is the DP panniers. Get a set of the stock units or go for some aftermarket hard or soft? When I use the MTS1000 panniers, I stuff them to the gills for a long trip or a run from the grocery, so I'm skeptical that a small set of Pelicans or the like would do me much good. Other than that, put on some heated grips before winter and ride the crap out of it is my game plan.
multistraddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #5128
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
At roughly 5.5K miles my rear brake pads were also worn out more than the front. It is a bit perplexing. However in my case I commute on my MTS pretty much daily. And cover my rear brake very frequently while I lane "share".

Quote:

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #5129
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
Executive summary

Amazing bike...go ride it.

There do seem to be a couple,of minor things on the first gen 1200.

- the rear brake sucks, get used to it
- the rider mode stuff really works. But set you suspension sag before playing with it too much.
- wind noise can be problematic for some. changing windshields, wearing earplugs, and using a high quality helmet can help
- low rpm engine surging can be cured with an aftermarket pipe and retune.
- sport mode is hazardous to your license
- they do fine on gravel roads. You can lower the tire pressure or switch over to TKC 80 tires.
- your friends will think you are crazy to spend that much on a bike and claim that repair/service costs could make a dent in the national debt.
- they are all secretly envious

Enjoy

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #5130
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 75
I finally finished mine this week.
There is a huge list of added bits but the finishing touch is the look IMHO.
What do you reckon?
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote