ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #5161
t-bills
mcs are dangerous
 
t-bills's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Oddometer: 282
26k on mine. I am currently experiencing the CEL and oil pressure light slightly illuminating with other lights. I had my master cylinder for the clutch replaced as it had a small hole. Other than that, no problems. Still loving the bike.

t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #5162
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer
 
Pampero's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 592
Keep an eye on this thread and see if it develops. Ultra high milers are pretty rare as the bike has only been around for three, going on four years. Mid-milers are more common.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #5163
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Easton Wa
Oddometer: 1,376
I was going to do the valves/flush myself, but with this coolant thing I'm glad I didn't. Really wanted to push the valve service to winter. I put 3K a month on in just commute miles. One of the reasons I didn't take the bike on my 8K cross country trip was because of the service. It would have meant the service would have been done twice a year. If one isn't able to do it themselves (or in my case, has the time) that adds up quick at $1500.00 a pop. (toss in tires and chains, scarey /year $$$) From what I've heard at the dealer, the valves are like most shimmed valves in that once they bed in, they go quite a ways before needing re-shimming. So I'm going to monitor them and see if that's the case. Stay tuned.

Still a fun comfy bike to ride. So still like the thing. But it ain't going to get pampered. When it went in for tires sitting next to all the other shinny owner owned Ducs, mine looks like a semi truck in the winter with cord showing for tires. Hope Ducati knew what it was getting into by wooing old BMW riders away with sex and power.
__________________
It's eight and a half gallons of gas; and an engine. What more do you need?-- BMW R80G/S

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #5164
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Duke City, NM
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Anybodys got one with super high miles?

How did it hold up? What were the big ticket repairs and maintenance? Valve adjustments? etc..
22k.

Valve service was expensive, but I had it resprung at the same time.

Did have the coolant eating the exhaust valve, so new radiator and both cylinder heads under warranty. That was huge, and it was in the shop for a /while/.

Also had the clutch slave go out, replaced under warranty.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #5165
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Duke City, NM
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
26k on mine. I am currently experiencing the CEL and oil pressure light slightly illuminating with other lights. I had my master cylinder for the clutch replaced as it had a small hole. Other than that, no problems. Still loving the bike.
What was the symptom for that? I'm starting to wonder if I have a similar issue, since I seem to lose clutch engagement in about 300 miles.

Pulled and replaced the crush washers on the slave and bled it as the 'cheap and fast' hope that they weren't sealing quite right, but we'll see if that holds.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #5166
t-bills
mcs are dangerous
 
t-bills's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
What was the symptom for that? I'm starting to wonder if I have a similar issue, since I seem to lose clutch engagement in about 300 miles.

Pulled and replaced the crush washers on the slave and bled it as the 'cheap and fast' hope that they weren't sealing quite right, but we'll see if that holds.
Clutch lever would get air in it. Every 2000 miles or so I would have to bleed it as the lever would be down to about half of its throw. The first half wouldn't do anything- dead lever. If you are having troubles with the clutch staying engaged, the problem is not with the master and probably not with the slave. It sounds like time for new clutch plates or have a problem with pressure plate springs. Just my opinion. I would be surprised if your plates are worn out though at 22k miles. Have you spent substantial time off road slipping it?
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #5167
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer
 
Dave.0's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The coldest part of Arizona
Oddometer: 733
I have about 33500 miles on mine, its an early 2010. Standard scheduled maintenance, tires, new chain and sprockets at 28k. It hasn't had any recent issues. It went throught all the early reflash stuff, but that never really seemed to change anything to me. Mine never really suffered from poor fueling. The biggest issue was the DES preload error, which required a few trips to the dealer and eventually a new shock ECU. It has been good for another 15k miles. Other than that the rear brake still sucks. I had the recall thing done, and its a little better, but it still needs to be bled every few thousand miles. I've dropped it on both sides and have the wobbly pannier thing, but they still work fine. I recently moved to 7000 feet from Dallas so my riding has changed. I used to take big trips just to get out of Texas, and now I take more day trips. Its a little down on power at altitude, but it seems somehow more useable. Its sharing duty with 3 other bikes so I don't expect to pile on the mileage, but for any over night trip or if I'm actually trying to get somewhere its my go to bike. Still loving it. I can't imaging getting rid of it anytime soon.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #5168
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Flightar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sebastian, FL.
Oddometer: 138
I've put 6K on mine since late March...zero issues.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #5169
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Little village near Phoenix
Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I have about 33500 miles on mine, its an early 2010. Standard scheduled maintenance, tires, new chain and sprockets at 28k. It hasn't had any recent issues. It went throught all the early reflash stuff, but that never really seemed to change anything to me. Mine never really suffered from poor fueling. The biggest issue was the DES preload error, which required a few trips to the dealer and eventually a new shock ECU. It has been good for another 15k miles. Other than that the rear brake still sucks. I had the recall thing done, and its a little better, but it still needs to be bled every few thousand miles. I've dropped it on both sides and have the wobbly pannier thing, but they still work fine. I recently moved to 7000 feet from Dallas so my riding has changed. I used to take big trips just to get out of Texas, and now I take more day trips. Its a little down on power at altitude, but it seems somehow more useable. Its sharing duty with 3 other bikes so I don't expect to pile on the mileage, but for any over night trip or if I'm actually trying to get somewhere its my go to bike. Still loving it. I can't imaging getting rid of it anytime soon.
Rear brake work-around: Hang a 15 or 20 pound weight on the brake pedal while it's parked overnight. Will give you the same result as a bleed: A week +/or 1,000 miles before things start to degenerate. Why it works? I don't know. But it works.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #5170
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Easton Wa
Oddometer: 1,376
I tried that. No help on mine. The rear brake is a problem for me because I'm a trail braking kinda guy. With the long suspension it really feels weird getting a lot of dive before a corner, where before I would load the suspension with the rear brake. So use the engine to do so now. Feels sloppy to me tho and the bike wanted to run ride in the apex with no rear brake to bring it back in or fine tune the corner. Oddly, getting the stock tires off (Scorpions?) helped the corning a lot. And I am not a tire guy. Cheap and holding air are my two criteria. Usually if they are flat I think it's just me.
__________________
It's eight and a half gallons of gas; and an engine. What more do you need?-- BMW R80G/S

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #5171
dwike
like you stole it!
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by batoutoflahonda View Post
I tried that. No help on mine. The rear brake is a problem for me because I'm a trail braking kinda guy. With the long suspension it really feels weird getting a lot of dive before a corner, where before I would load the suspension with the rear brake. So use the engine to do so now. Feels sloppy to me tho and the bike wanted to run ride in the apex with no rear brake to bring it back in or fine tune the corner. Oddly, getting the stock tires off (Scorpions?) helped the corning a lot. And I am not a tire guy. Cheap and holding air are my two criteria. Usually if they are flat I think it's just me.
And EBC HH pads! Major improvement!
dwike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #5172
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Colorado_Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Failville, CO
Oddometer: 1,164
Selling my FJR to hopefully get a Multi next year sometime. Some buzz about some Skyhook errors. What the hell?
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #5173
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Duke City, NM
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bills View Post
Clutch lever would get air in it. Every 2000 miles or so I would have to bleed it as the lever would be down to about half of its throw. The first half wouldn't do anything- dead lever. If you are having troubles with the clutch staying engaged, the problem is not with the master and probably not with the slave. It sounds like time for new clutch plates or have a problem with pressure plate springs. Just my opinion. I would be surprised if your plates are worn out though at 22k miles. Have you spent substantial time off road slipping it?
Nope. Same symptoms as you have, actually. Already replaced the slave, thanks to it leaking. Checking to see if I had crush washer issues, but it was basically nothing for the bulk of the lever travel within 300 miles after bleeding it.

Sounds like -- as I was afraid -- master is the next place to look.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #5174
KR8NKAOS
Adventurer
 
KR8NKAOS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: My minds eye
Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
I finally finished mine this week.
There is a huge list of added bits but the finishing touch is the look IMHO.
What do you reckon?
I reckon I like!
__________________
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies
but not everyone lives. --A. Sachs



You should not chose your friends just on
how they treat you, but how they treat
others as well. This shows what kind of
person they really are.


The pain of change remains the same until the pain of remaining the same exceeds the pain of change.


KR8NKAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #5175
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Easton Wa
Oddometer: 1,376
Picked mine up from the shop Saturday. Went in for the 15K, and glad I didn't do it myself. Here's why:

The did the SB on the coolant which plugged the radiator. New radiator. The fuel gauge was going from full to half to full. They found the sending unit bad and replaced the sender. But the tank inserts spun. So got a new tank and side panels. The new sender was for a 2013, an improved version, so they had to reflash the dash computer. The update wasn't compatible with the 2012 dash computer and sent it into a fit. Guess the horn was going off and wouldn't stop. So after much finger pointing as to who ordered the wrong part, they got a "classified" email from Ducati saying that the update was not released yet that it wasn't compatible with the 2012 dash computer. Kinda a funny story. But got a new dash computer which took care of the engine light coming on with any other light and the key fob works better. They only had it a week, so not to bad.

The valves were spot on tho, so no adjusting.

Over all a good experience. I like it when the service manager tells humorous anecdotes about working on it. Far better than BMW dragging you into the interrogation room to find out what you did to the bike (Nine! vee do not believe you *whack*). Over at Ducati its more like "We're surprised it made it this far. Here, have some vino" That's a joke guys.
__________________
It's eight and a half gallons of gas; and an engine. What more do you need?-- BMW R80G/S

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014