Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #5236
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman44 View Post

I am very glad that I put the header and head guards on before the trip.
What brand head cover did you buy and are you happy with it? I have an altrider header guard.

Thanks.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #5237
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar35 View Post
Thinking of getting a Multi, but not sure about maintance on these things. Dealer said every 15000 for belts and valve adjust and fluids at about $1000 for this service. This really seems excessive, but then I'm use to jap bikes basically just ride them. Although I should be able to do most of the things myself. And how are they 2 up riding for moderate distance say 4 to 6 hours trips.
If you get the 15K done at most Ducati dealerships, that is what it is going to cost you, plus or minus and there is no way around it if you plan to have the bike serviced professionally by the book. If that's a major factor, so be it.

As for two up riding, although I do very little of that myself, most passengers report good comfort and security on the Multi. The bike certainly has all the power you need and more, and the handling and gross weight allowances are all well within practical ranges. Most owners who use the bikes two up report very satisfying experiences; that is not at issue.

The easiest way to satisfy yourself is to bring your SO on a test ride. Cost of ownership is higher than a Japanese bike, but so is the riding experience. There's no way to argue that compromise out of the picture for the owner who doesn't do his own services, and even for those who do to some extent. Parts costs are higher as a rule too. It's an exotic, and while that's no excuse, it is a fact to consider. Most of us owners feel the overall experience is worth it.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #5238
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizoku View Post
Did you have the tires shipped to Fairbanks? Who did the tire change? Did they have the wheel socket to remove your wheel...or did you take yours?
Have you had the 'DSS Error" msg yet?
2013 MTS GT here, 8K on the clock, 'DSS Error' at 6.5K, Pro Italia told me it effects all the 2013's, but maybe just the GT's. It is an malfunction of the rear DSS sensor sending data to the Skyhook Suspension setup. Cause is the way the cables were routed at the factory. Too tight and at full suspension extention, the cable pulls on the sensor, ruining it.
Warranty covered mine with new sensor, cables, and a reroute...now all is fine again.
Headed to Alaska next July.
I'd be interested in your experiences...
Dave in Valencia
I did my tire change at Adventure Cycle in Fairbanks.
Dan is a great guy. He had the tools needed for the Ducati but I had my own with me.
He has done quite a few Multi's and was very familier with them. I would not travel without the tools though. I was prepared to remove them myself if needed and practiced at home removing both before I left.
I shipped my tires to dan about a month before. I got a smoking deal on them from Chapparel. Good thing because he did not have my size in stock.

No DSS errors ever. 13,000 miles and not one blip. I have had 3 sets of tires and did not see any bad routing of cables or wires. I had mud so thick I had to chip it off with a screwdriver.I am very happy with the reliability of this great machine.
I removed the TKC's in Anchorage at "The Motorcycle Shop". These guys treated me great and got me in quickly for a 7500 mile service and tire change.
I ordered my tires from Alaska Leather during my time at D2D. I picked them up and took them to The shop for installation. The guys at "The Motorcycle Shop even took me to pick up the tires. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience at either place. Barb at Alaska Leather was a great person to deal with also.
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #5239
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
What brand head cover did you buy and are you happy with it? I have an altrider header guard.

Thanks.
I bought the guard from Ebay. I think the guy makes them himself. He cuts them anyway you want. Plain,slotted,Ducati or Multi jet cut into them. Any finish also. They are great quality. $56 and $20 to ship from the UK.
His seller name is Lambertro. He does state that they fit with the Altrider header guard. It fit perfect and I would not run without it. Look at the crap it stopped from smashing into the head.
The motor did run a little warmer with the header and head guard. It was not a problem except for a few times in 2+ hour traffic jams. Temp stayed at 215-219 degrees while creeping along.
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #5240
marret
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman44 View Post
I bought the guard from Ebay. I think the guy makes them himself. He cuts them anyway you want. Plain,slotted,Ducati or Multi jet cut into them. Any finish also. They are great quality. $56 and $20 to ship from the UK.
His seller name is Lambertro. He does state that they fit with the Altrider header guard. It fit perfect and I would not run without it. Look at the crap it stopped from smashing into the head.
The motor did run a little warmer with the header and head guard. It was not a problem except for a few times in 2+ hour traffic jams. Temp stayed at 215-219 degrees while creeping along.
Thanks for all the info. I was wondering if it would run a little hotter. After we return to the US I plan to make a trip to Alaska and would like to add a head guard to the altrider header guard I have exactly due to all the crap you mentioned.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #5241
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Ohlins Suspension Update

Just had the new Ohlins "adventure" fork cartridge kit and TTX shock installed on my 2010 MTS.

I've only ridden 15 miles and haven't dialed the suspension in.

It is a huge improvement. Granted I never installed the proper spring for my weight on the original base suspension.

The feel and is much improved and more along how I like a bike to respond. It no longer feels harsh over sharp edge bumps and no longer bottoms out from wheelies.

More to detailed review to come.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #5242
marret
Transient

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Just had the new Ohlins "adventure" fork cartridge kit and TTX shock installed on my 2010 MTS.

I've only ridden 15 miles and haven't dialed the suspension in.

It is a huge improvement. Granted I never installed the proper spring for my weight on the original base suspension.

The feel and is much improved and more along how I like a bike to respond. It no longer feels harsh over sharp edge bumps and no longer bottoms out from wheelies.

More to detailed review to come.
Great news, thanks. Please do post a more detailed review when you get some miles on it.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #5243
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Nice!! You're going to love it.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #5244
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 449
I didn't want to ride anymore this season anyway...

...or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Went out to start the Multi the other day and nothing...starter was spinning but it didn't sound like it was engaging.
Was also puking a "Pickup" code on the display.

Called Ducati Roadside Assistance (Which, if you never have, is hilarious in its own right..."Hello...Joe's Towing..."...really...?)
They sent a flatbed and off she went...

I go down to my local dealer to meet the truck.
Once there, I explain to him what happened and he said he would begin tearing it down that night and go from there. (Friday night)

Saturday morning, we are in the neighborhood of the dealer so I decide to stop on by to see if he found the issue yet and what it is going to take to fix it.

I duck into the shop and he tells me that the starter is the least of my problems...

So it appears that I managed to break the end off the crankshaft.
I definitely don't ride like a saint but I haven't beaten on the bike by any means.
He suspects bad heat treating.
Obviously, it is covered under the warranty and definitely has me shopping for extended warranty to take over once my factory one expires. Crank alone is a $2800 part.

On the plus side, I get the engine portion of my 15k service for free even though I am only at 12k+ a bit.

so, looks like my riding season is over.
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #5245
soggysandwich
Banned

Oddometer: 204
^^^^^^^ more signs of "fine Italian craftsmanship"^^^^^^^^^^
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #5246
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggysandwich View Post
^^^^^^^ more signs of "fine Italian craftsmanship"^^^^^^^^^^
Apparently...
http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/ind...-the-flywheel/
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-super...eel-shaft.html
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #5247
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Question fuel milage

I have been getting crap fuel mileage out of my 2011 Multi always have around 32mpg. i want to do the Trans Labrador highway next summer but at max range of 140 miles per tank i don't think i can do it on this bike.

Anyone got any ideas on what i can do to fix the fuel economy? I don't wanna have to carry an extra 5 gallons of fuel.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #5248
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
I have been getting crap fuel mileage out of my 2011 Multi always have around 32mpg. i want to do the Trans Labrador highway next summer but at max range of 140 miles per tank i don't think i can do it on this bike.

Anyone got any ideas on what i can do to fix the fuel economy? I don't wanna have to carry an extra 5 gallons of fuel.
The motorcycle should get better fuel economy than what you say, that's stating the obvious. Is your bike modded in any way, or do you simply ride it in a non-economical manner? You might just have to carry some spare fuel or have your dealer look at your bike, but 32mpg seems quite low.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #5249
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
The motorcycle should get better fuel economy than what you say, that's stating the obvious. Is your bike modded in any way, or do you simply ride it in a non-economical manner? You might just have to carry some spare fuel or have your dealer look at your bike, but 32mpg seems quite low.
i have done almost nothing to it. I bought it new, tinted windscreen, the key-less gas cap that is it. other than standard maintenance and ride the world stickers. My shop is baffled the Ducati rep says meh sounds ok. and blows us off.

I am thinking i might have to get a power commander 5 and re-tune it with that but i am hesitant to spend more $$ on it

if i could get enough in trade on it i would just move on to a different bike, but i don't give up on stuff that easy.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #5250
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
I'll get around 32mpg out of a tank if I ride the hell out of it. 38-40 is more the norm but I have a full termi system installed. I wouldn't be looking to trade it in because of lower than expected mpg though.
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote