Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #5476
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
Does anyone feel like the factory spec. on chain adj is a little to tight? With full gear 235 lbs sitting on the bike it seems to tight for full suspension travel. I have it set in spec (33mm-35mm) from center bottom of swing arm to center of chain and bike on side stand. I have even watched a video of a Ducati mechanic adj chain and it looks to tight to me.
Any thoughts on this?
I run mine a touch looser than recommended. I also check it warm - seems to be noticeably tighter when warmed up. I got 28500 out of my first chain, so that method seemed to work ok.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #5477
SevenFifty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Does anyone feel like the factory spec. on chain adj is a little to tight? With full gear 235 lbs sitting on the bike it seems to tight for full suspension travel. I have it set in spec (33mm-35mm) from center bottom of swing arm to center of chain and bike on side stand. I have even watched a video of a Ducati mechanic adj chain and it looks to tight to me.
Any thoughts on this?
I used to have mine tensioned to spec, and ended up burning my chain, I did lube the chain after the day before was over, and then check up on the chain tension in the morning before a long and warm stretch of autobahn, relubed after 200 miles, and it looked a bit strange, some more slack, but not that bad, then after 200 more miles it was completely shot, it started to rub on top of the swing arm, re-tensioned and lubed it again, and discovered that the o-rings started to disappear, did about a 100 more miles to get home, and the chain rubbed again. When I got hold of a new chain, I loaded up the bike with about the same weight I had on my journey and had a buddy help check the tension, an it was very tight when I was on the bike and to spec unloaded, but I'm kind of on the heavy side (about 260lbs)...

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk
SevenFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 AM   #5478
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I finally got my 2010 MTS back from the dealer. It was in for nearly a month, not counting all the other times it was in the shop for the same symptoms. In the end they replaced the horizontal cylinder, piston, head and radiator.

It felt really good to ride it into work this morning.

With all that said, I'm glad I bought the EverRed Warranty. Dealing with EverRed was a learning experience, not bad not good, they did their contractual obligations. They covered all the repairs. I now understand what Ducati or the insurance underwriters temporarily cancelled the program. They must be losing their asses. This would explain the major cost increase of the EverRed warranty that was recently rerolled out.

*IF* I had to pay for the repairs due to head porosity, my opinion of the MTS and Ducati would be vastly different. It's a great handling bike with awesome power, however material defects are hard to overlook when you're covering the tab. It's no wonder their resale value plumets after the factory warranty. I'm glad I never bought and S or a touring model, the possibility of a costly electrical failure would be too heavy in the back of my mind, especially in the future. The gizmos just aren't worth that much in price or actual enjoyment during the ride itself. I'm very happy with my manual Ohlins cartridges and rear shock.

I have one more year of the EverRed. I wish I could extend it. I really love this bike. I'm going to ride it as much as possible between now and then. I need to get my money's worth out of it. Right now, I plan on keeping it. There's no sense in selling it and losing my shirt. It's the number 1 bike in the stable right now, but it might become number 2 in the future, when a new bike that is better for me hits the marketplace. Hard to imagine that right now.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 AM   #5479
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Any thoughts on this?
Spec is 35-37mm, not 33-35. A bit on the loose side is OK.

Here's a link to the factory page. You can expand to see it. Always try to adjust to tightest section (of the chain).

Pampero screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 10:49 AM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #5480
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
I have one more year of the EverRed. I wish I could extend it. I really love this bike. I'm going to ride it as much as possible between now and then. I need to get my money's worth out of it. Right now, I plan on keeping it. There's no sense in selling it and losing my shirt. It's the number 1 bike in the stable right now, but it might become number 2 in the future, when a new bike that is better for me hits the marketplace. Hard to imagine that right now.
Is the EverRed warranty still available these days? I had heard they don't do it anymore.. It's a factory extended warranty, right?
brianpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #5481
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
Is the EverRed warranty still available these days? I had heard they don't do it anymore.. It's a factory extended warranty, right?
If I'm not mistaken, it's being offered once again, but underwritten by Fidelity Warranty Services.

From Ducati's web pages,

http://ducatieverredproducts.com/#!/...eel-protection
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #5482
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it's being offered once again, but underwritten by Fidelity Warranty Services.

From Ducati's web pages,

http://ducatieverredproducts.com/#!/...eel-protection
Yes it's being offered again. Some caution though. It is not a warranty but a service contract. There is a difference.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #5483
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
I looked into it but when I found out the cost, I was in shock. I don't know how much dealers have a say in cost, but it would be unreasonably expensive. I decided to take my chances without. 2 years and 25,000 miles with no issues so far, I guess time will tell
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #5484
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
I got an extended warranty on my 2010 S because of the electronic suspension And the porous head thing that started creeping up. I did have the shock ecu replaced once under two years using the standard warranty, I haven't needed anything since. It's expensive peace of mind. What's that worth to you.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #5485
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 75
After the winter lay off I've decided to upgrade the brakes on mine so I'm fitting M4 Monoblocs to it. Bit of a chore as you need to replace brakelines as well but apparently it's well worth it.
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #5486
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
After the winter lay off I've decided to upgrade the brakes on mine so I'm fitting M4 Monoblocs to it. Bit of a chore as you need to replace brakelines as well but apparently it's well worth it.
It will be a good improvement. I've been considering it for the rear brake only as I have yet to feel I need more front power, although the bike I tried with M4s on front had improved feel over stock.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #5487
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletrouble View Post
Tripletrouble,

Woud appreciate it if you would keep us posted as to how muich trouble this change is or isn't, what all had to be done and cost, please.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #5488
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 123
I would love to see a write up with pictures about this brake job!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
1998 DR350SE - charbroiled
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #5489
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 460
I am considering it too. So any info would be great...plus, I think they look better too. Hehe

As for the EverRed service contract underwritten by Fidelity, I just signed up for 3 years and thought the price reasonable...especially when you consider what my broken crank would have costed out of pocket lol.
But compared to the $2800 BMW wants to extend my CPO warranty 12 months, 3 more years of peace of mind for $1300 is well worth it. Hehe
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #5490
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
I am considering it too. So any info would be great...plus, I think they look better too. Hehe

As for the EverRed service contract underwritten by Fidelity, I just signed up for 3 years and thought the price reasonable...especially when you consider what my broken crank would have costed out of pocket lol.
But compared to the $2800 BMW wants to extend my CPO warranty 12 months, 3 more years of peace of mind for $1300 is well worth it. Hehe

I was quoted $2100 for 3 years, $1422 for one year. I guess dealers have free range on the pricing
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote