Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #5536
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
The Caswell coating itself seems like great stuff, sticks to anything and cures to a nice hard surface that looks like it could stop bullets. I have some of the excess stuff poured in the bottom of a trash can, and its never coming off as far as I can tell.

I installed mine, used 2 pints instead of the usual 1 to try and get the best coverage possible in all the little nooks and crannies in the 5.3 gallon aircooled tank. Shook that damn tank for 1/2 hour. FWIW, there are numerous reports on multistrada.net of professionally coated tanks that also failed after a few years. The problem is there is no reasonable way to make sure of a full, even coating on that tank, its too complex inside.

FWIW, I would bet the 1200 tank is easier to get good caswell coverage due to its much simpler shape. What I don't understand is why the 1200 tank is not simply made of a better material; since its covered by fairing panels they could use any of several ethanol-resistant tank materials. The aircooled multi tank has to be smooth, paintable and rigid, so material choice is much more limited.
I have a fair amount of experience with applying the usual types of epoxies
as they are used in layup and adhesive work on boats, but didn't have any with Caswell so decided to have mine professionally applied by a guy who has made a study of it. I'm told he has a system for keying the inside of the tank and also for turning the tank as the epoxy is applied. It will be "interesting" to see if my tank withstands the rigors of ethanol because I am now taking no special measures to protect it from the ravages of whatever fuel happens to be handy.

One thing is for sure: if my tank expands again, I will definitely advertise that here and on .ms.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #5537
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
have i ever said how much i love how these bikes ride and feel?

there is no substitute.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 PM   #5538
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
have i ever said how much i love how these bikes ride and feel?

there is no substitute.
Yes, you have! They are special that way. Just riding is a reward. They provide a great sense of connection to the machine, and complex as they have become they still retain a distinctly elemental feel. That's one critical thing Ducati gets right. I ride for pleasure and they deliver.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 AM   #5539
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Time will tell, Lew. I hope for a positive outcome for being over-zealous about the gas I feed the machine. At the same time, I have fun managing my trips around these stations, entering the pure-gas stations along my route in the GPS. It's a good thing this machine will do 200+ miles with one tank.
200+ ? i only get 150 at best on a tank
Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 AM   #5540
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
200+ ? i only get 150 at best on a tank
Some examples:

at an average of 72 mph

46 mpg

It is usually better than this (it was actually showing 15 miles to go (not 5) until I saw the gas station, slowed down and went all the way to first gear to park at the gas pump):

my rule of thumb is 20 miles per bar on the gas gauge.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #5541
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Some examples:

at an average of 72 mph

46 mpg
I average 30mpg on my Multi and over 50 on my S2R1000 which is why I never ride my multi.. there is something wrong with my bike I think.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 AM   #5542
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Faster you go the Better MPG ~> ZooM BooM!
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #5543
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
To Skyhook or not to Skyhook?

I put a GT through the paces today. Really a wolf in sheep's clothing. My question is how does the base model suspension compare for dampening rates, spring rates and overall experience?

Thanks!
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #5544
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post
I put a GT through the paces today. Really a wolf in sheep's clothing. My question is how does the base model suspension compare for dampening rates, spring rates and overall experience?

Thanks!
I don't know what the specs are on the rear shock but the Marzocchi forks aren't to be discounted. Changing springs to best match your weight shouldn't be difficult to do. It's hard to beat the feature set of the Skyhook kit, especially if you ride two-up or on constantly changing riding styles or road types, it does work well. Having said that, the vast majority of Base model owner's opinions that I've read are quite favorable. I think the ownership experiences, while positive, would be different in regards to the respective suspensions.

They're such fun bikes to ride.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:27 PM   #5545
Stephenmarklay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I don't know what the specs are on the rear shock but the Marzocchi forks aren't to be discounted. Changing springs to best match your weight shouldn't be difficult to do. It's hard to beat the feature set of the Skyhook kit, especially if you ride two-up or on constantly changing riding styles or road types, it does work well. Having said that, the vast majority of Base model owner's opinions that I've read are quite favorable. I think the ownership experiences, while positive, would be different in regards to the respective suspensions.

They're such fun bikes to ride.
Thank you for this input.
Stephenmarklay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:19 AM   #5546
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Yes, you have! They are special that way. Just riding is a reward. They provide a great sense of connection to the machine, and complex as they have become they still retain a distinctly elemental feel. That's one critical thing Ducati gets right. I ride for pleasure and they deliver.

On my Caponord last weekend,I couldnt help noticing how many Multis
were out & about in the Snowy mountains region in OZ.
Ducati is certainly doing good business here...
BTW,very few BM/GS and cant recall any KTMs...
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #5547
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
On my Caponord last weekend,I couldnt help noticing how many Multis
were out & about in the Snowy mountains region in OZ.
Ducati is certainly doing good business here...
BTW,very few BM/GS and cant recall any KTMs...

That's saying something considering how dear they are in your neck of the woods. I could not justify a Multi if I were in Oz and would still be looking at them from the seat of my Capo as well!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #5548
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenmarklay View Post

Thanks!
I have a 2010 base MTS. The stock suspension was good. Mostly depends on your weight. The stock suspension can be made better with appropriate spring rates. I'm heavy to say the least. After 3 yrs I finally upgraded to an ohlins fron and rear. The ohlins is fantastic. I dealt with the stock suspension for 3 yrs. My upgrade to Ohlins was more personal preference than mandatory. I never regret not buying the Sport or touring versions.

If you are seriously thinking about a MTS, I would give more thought to an extended warranty / extended service contract than the suspension. Parts and service ain't cheap on these bikes.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #5549
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
I average 30mpg on my Multi and over 50 on my S2R1000 which is why I never ride my multi.. there is something wrong with my bike I think.
Lol you do not ride your new bike because it does not get as good mpg as your old bike? did you buy it to save on gas? If so it will take you about 35 years to break even . I thought people bought "performance bikes" to enjoy riding them not to save on gas. If that was your goal you should have bought a moped.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #5550
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
2013/14 winscreen?

Any of you Gen II 1200 Multi owners find an aftermarket windscreen that works? I tried a Cee Bailey and it was a big disappointment.
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote