ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #76
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,292
Say, I just wanted to make a note here that the folks farther west have started a similar thread for the Missoula/Bitterroot area here.

I guess my only comment is GO CATS!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #77
jjmyzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Interestting ride you have proposed. As far as I know, and would love to be proven wrong, there is no legal route into Toston from Clarkston. I have been up in that area quite a few times. I would love to join up with you guys and try to tackle that route. We will see what moma has to say, I have been gone alot and have a new baby. She may want me home. Anyways, there is no gas in any of the small towns you plan on going through, might think of Townsend to get fuel. A lot of those roads I know like the back of my hand and would love to guide us through the area, Skinner, Nixon Gulch and Bear Creek are an absolute bitch if there is mud. I will see what I can do for geting in on this ride, Speedster is interested in doing this also. So that would be two of us from Helena. Hope we all can do this.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #78
L-Train
Dirt......Good.

Oddometer: 181
precip outlook not good

Glad you guys are interested, and i hope mother nature is kind, but the weather outlook at this point looks rather poor. I agree with jjmyzrider that if its muddy it may be really bad. Snow level looks low too, below 5000 ft. I guess we'll see. In the meantime I have to fix my flat tire (see below) and get a new battery going for the KLR.

here are some pics from my ride on sunday and my resulting flat tire. fencing staple got me just south of Cardwell...dammit! I haven't ever changed a flat on a moto, just lots of bicycle flats. Getting the tube out was the easy part, I fear! Putting a new one back probably not so much....

Somewhere west of churchill. I love it out there....total emptiness

heading down into Cardwell through cool rocks. I almost head-on collided with three pickup trucks full of hunters in this stretch. Each time had me skidding into the bushes on the side of the road. Good times!

Miles later: Aha! I thought something felt wierd back there!

A beautiful view (of the Golden Sunlight mine!)

Check out my sweet bike stand, haha!

Hopefully I can find a tube in town tomorrow. Then gotta charge up the new battery...all the maintenance happens at once sometimes....

Hopefully it will work out for this weekend. If it is too wet in the backcountry maybe we can do more of a paved road cruise?
L-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #79
L-Train
Dirt......Good.

oh yeah,

I am gonna try and remember to call the county offices or the forest service for that area tomorrow and find out the real deal on the road access situation past Clarkston. I bet with a few calls I can find someone who will know. If it is a no-go that just goes on the list of "it would be such a cool route if you could go through that gate" rides. I hate that! I was wheedling around south of Three Forks two weeks ago and found all manner of sweet roads that totally lead through to Norris Rd to the south, but all gated....argh!
Maybe we should petition Mr. Turner for access:

C'mon Ted, I promise we'll only go through a few times a year!

Being from New England, it seems like back there, no one cares as much if you are wandering around out in the shit, but maybe it's because it's all trees and no one can see anyone. out of sight out of mind right?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #80
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

I think I've done that bit you're talking about.

Is this it.

Sketchy if muddy. Looks like a little rain possible Saturday, otherwise fairly clear and cold.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #81
L-Train
Dirt......Good.

yeah, that's it

so you have done that part Putts? I went up to the point where your line starts, where there is a gate, which had a sign like : Private Property, Please Stay on County Road" which made me think one could go through.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 AM   #82
L-Train
Dirt......Good.

No Go north of Clarkston

Just talked to a ranger at the Townsend Forest Service Station, and he said you can't get through there. Locked up private land. Doh!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #83
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Train
so you have done that part Putts? I went up to the point where your line starts, where there is a gate, which had a sign like : Private Property, Please Stay on County Road" which made me think one could go through.
That's kind how I read it too, so I went through the gate, closed it, and carried on.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #84
jjmyzrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
If the sign states as you say it does, I would go for it.

You can never go off the word of a Ranger. It once took me over 2 weeks and 2 ranger districts to find out if the Continental Divide traill was open between Flesher and Stemple pass. You probably mentioned motorcycle in the conversation, that is an automatic no. Try asking if you can take your Burkinstocks through there and see what they tell you. Looks like Speedster and I will most likely be meeting up with you guys at Toston. Just for clarification for me, This is on Sunday right, Putts mentioned Sat weather and I just want to be sure to show on the right day.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:21 AM   #85
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Sunday is how I read it. Just mentioned Saturday because of wetness. L-train, Sunday right?

Sunday's weather looks good, cold but clear.

What time are we meeting? Where? Could you give us some times to shoot for L-Train?

Putts screwed with this post 11-19-2008 at 08:30 AM
Putts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #86
sproutxj
Bikeless..ok with it

Oddometer: 146
I'd be in for the trip if the weather holds. I hate to contradict Tyll (Hey Tyll) but the latest and greatest forecast is showing "A slight chance of rain and snow showers. Snow level 4100 feet rising to 5400 feet. Partly cloudy, with a high near 43." I think we're too far out for the dumbass weather people to predict anyway.....

Brad
sproutxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #87
L-Train
Dirt......Good.

yeah, not looking good

It's looking like crap weather....on the NOAA site that i use anyway. I am also concerned that if we get up to Clarkston and get screwed going through, that we're gonna have a hell of a time meeting up with the Helena guys on any kind of schedule. It's a long way around. Plus, all day riding with a high of 43 sounds pretty Fing cold to me, esp. if there is no sun.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #88
Klondike 5
Not even close

Oddometer: 10
As far as what is law in Montana... *ahem*...

"the public has the privilege to enter or remain on private land by the explicit permission of the landowner or his agent or by the failure of the landowner to post notice denying entry onto the land. The landowner may revoke the permission by personal communication. The law states that notice denying entry must consist of written notice or of notice by painting a post, structure or natural object with at least 50 square inches of fluorescent orange paint. In the case of a metal fencepost, the entire post must be painted. This notice must be placed at each outer gate and all normal points of access to the property and wherever a stream crosses an outer boundary line."

link - Basically, any locked or unlocked road gate without signage or paint is fair game if you can get around or through it. But, if they ask you to leave you have to leave.

Klondike 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #89
L-Train
Dirt......Good.

sunday plan

I think now it's gonna be too cold. Forecast says high of 44, much like today, and it is only 36 out at 1230 in Belgrade. That's too cold for me to go on any sort of long ride. After my last ride up by white sulphur in the cold i am not too interested if it is much below 50. Maybe a short ride in the afternoon or something. What do you all think? I think the weather window closed this week for the season, with the snow last night and all...
Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM   #90
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Sounds good to me. So how about beer and brats at my house Sunday for lunch? Say, noon to two or thereabouts?