Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #151
wonky OP
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride
We finally got some good riding weather here and I guess my over zealous adventure monster took over and as I was coming down a pair of 18" stair step rock ledges and hit the skid plate HARD. within 100 feet the oil pressure light begins to flash. In my mind I came up with some audio to go with the red flashing oil can, DOH. Not much chance of a fix as there is a quarter sized hole by one of the bolt supports for the (bash) skid plate. I bought the skid plate and the crash bar combo from southwest moto. I was wondering in the back of my mind the logic of using the engine housing for part of the frame. just goes to show ya' . I can't blame anyone but myself for this one. The good news is the rims are fine Thanks <>< Craigster
hi,
i dont understand this post.
Do you have our (adventure-spec/guard-it technology) bash plate and crashbars?
They arent available from Southwest Moto.

cheers
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #152
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Adventure Spec Crash Bars

Hi ADV Riders. Im a new entry here. Just took ownership of 2010 F800GS.

Very interested in the Adventure Spec Crash bars... but have a couple questions;

1. I read somewhere that folks with kind of long legs were bumping the A. Spec bars with their knee(s). I am 6' tall... Is this still an issue?

2. Will the Adventure Spec crash bars fit with the MOD (of Canada) Bash Plate ?

3. I assume that with these Adventure Spec bars, the use of Tank Panniers is heavily restricted?

THANKS in advance for everyone's input.
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #153
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
my bad

I want to clarify that the skid plate is a SW Mototech skid Plate. I bought the crash bar / skid plate combo from F800 DEPOT right after I got the bike. I ended up buying a replacement oil pan from Bike Bandit, I got 10% off for being a AMA member. I took the old skid plate to work and mounted a piece of strap aluminum 2" wide by 1/4" inch thick right down the middle. (burned up the welding machine) I hope that will spread out the load for now. I hope to get a better designed skid plate in the future. I did hit hard due to perfect spacing between the rock ledges. The plate was for medium duty ??? MY BAD
I like this forum, a lot of good ideas and stuff to watch out for. Sorry for the confusion WONKY<>< Craig

njoytheride screwed with this post 03-17-2010 at 09:12 PM
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 PM   #154
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Cry Damaged Bars

Wonky or David can you check your emails please.

I received my crash bars today but they were damaged

Thanks!

Darren
Old 03-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #155
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedar
Wonky or David can you check your emails please.

I received my crash bars today but they were damaged

Thanks!

Darren
Has anyone else had issues with the Adventure Spec bars being shipped damaged?

They seem to have fallen of the face of the earth as soon as I asked for replacements
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #156
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Update!

Quote:
Has anyone else had issues with the Adventure Spec bars being shipped damaged?

They seem to have fallen of the face of the earth as soon as I asked for replacements
David got a hold of me and will replace the bars

Thanks again for all of the help

Now I just have to see how it goes with the next set
Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #157
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,121
Just thought I would throw a thumbs up for Adventure Spec

I ordered my bars and bash plate on a Sunday evening and they were on my door step on the West coast USA on Thursday mid day. Well packed and undamaged. Instalation on both took under an hour and went on without a hitch.

Highly recomended!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 08:41 AM   #158
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Two Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard cabesa
Just thought I would throw a thumbs up for Adventure Spec

I ordered my bars and bash plate on a Sunday evening and they were on my door step on the West coast USA on Thursday mid day. Well packed and undamaged. Instalation on both took under an hour and went on without a hitch.

Highly recomended!!!
SAME HERE... I STONGLY reccomend Adv Spec. They are a pleasure to deal with. And there is no comparision to SW Motech or others.

First class quality, easy to assemble, well packed. I am very satisfied.
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #159
davidlomax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I've just checked this thread to see all is well, only to see the three posts above including comments about Adventure-Spec 'FALLING OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH', when replacement bars were asked for...

Hmmm...

I'm not sure some of our customers understand just how seriously we take the quality of our products and/or our reputation.

Firstly, I should clarify that the bars arrived in Canada from the UK damaged and we were contacted almost immediately with comprehensive photos. It was clear that the damage was not present when the bars left the UK, BUT also that the bars had been opened and repacked by Canadian customs.

At this time we could have argued that the damage was caused by the re-pack but I'm afraid thats not our style, our customers are our livelyhood and in many instances our friends, we treat others the way we wish to be treated ourselves. It is the core principle of everything we do here at Adventure-Spec.

We replied the same day offering a choice of options, one of which was bar replacement, I asked Darren to decide what he wanted to do and contact me with his decision.

I received this mail on the 22nd of March

David,

I have decided to ask for replacement bars.

Please let me know ASAP how we will work this out, especially with respect to the shipping and return shipping fees.

Thanks,

Darren Page

I sorted the customs return Docs, packed another set of bars personally and a package was sent from the UK the next day. Delivery was attempted at noon on Friday 26th. We accepted full return costs and offered to have the damaged bars collected by courier from any location of Mr Pages choice.

I doubt there are many other companies in the world who who would have reacted so swiftly and taken full responsibility for a problem which could not be catagorically tied to themselves.

Thank you to those of you who have commented positively. I would hope that despite any setbacks we may encounter Adventure-Spec will NEVER be though of or shown to be indifferent to any of our customers.

Dave
www.Adventure-Spec.com
davidlomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #160
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Good on ya!!

Canada Customs suck! They open stuff and then repack it any which way.. I've got first hand experience with this sort of nonesense and no one's accountable.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #161
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlomax
I've just checked this thread to see all is well, only to see the three posts above including comments about Adventure-Spec 'FALLING OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH', when replacement bars were asked for...
In the spririt of full disclosure that first post was during the period prior to the reply. Of course there was no mention of the second post:

Quote:
David got a hold of me and will replace the bars

Thanks again for all of the help

Now I just have to see how it goes with the next set
I thought that it was pretty clear

My frame of mind was also tainted because I had almost a week's delay with my order because of another issue, but I will not bring it up here because David (and Chris) fixed it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlomax
Hmmm...

I'm not sure some of our customers understand just how seriously we take the quality of our products and/or our reputation.

Firstly, I should clarify that the bars arrived in Canada from the UK damaged and we were contacted almost immediately with comprehensive photos. It was clear that the damage was not present when the bars left the UK, BUT also that the bars had been opened and repacked by Canadian customs.

At this time we could have argued that the damage was caused by the re-pack but I'm afraid thats not our style, our customers are our livelyhood and in many instances our friends, we treat others the way we wish to be treated ourselves. It is the core principle of everything we do here at Adventure-Spec.

We replied the same day offering a choice of options, one of which was bar replacement, I asked Darren to decide what he wanted to do and contact me with his decision.

I received this mail on the 22nd of March

David,

I have decided to ask for replacement bars.

Please let me know ASAP how we will work this out, especially with respect to the shipping and return shipping fees.

Thanks,

Darren Page

I sorted the customs return Docs, packed another set of bars personally and a package was sent from the UK the next day. Delivery was attempted at noon on Friday 26th. We accepted full return costs and offered to have the damaged bars collected by courier from any location of Mr Pages choice.

I doubt there are many other companies in the world who who would have reacted so swiftly and taken full responsibility for a problem which could not be catagorically tied to themselves.

Thank you to those of you who have commented positively. I would hope that despite any setbacks we may encounter Adventure-Spec will NEVER be though of or shown to be indifferent to any of our customers.

Dave
I was very honest and forthcoming with David, and he returned the favour. I supplied the best photos that I could and explained as best as I could what the situation was. They could have even been plastered here, because they are in my Picasa album, but I did not go that route. I believe that the end result will be a better process for shipping.

I didn't notice the repack until much later, but I made sure to mention it so that David could have the full story, as he had mentioned particular problems with Canada.

Yes David paid for return shipping, but I also drove 20 mins in each direction to bring back the box to DHL after work, and this was before receiving the new bars.

My options were %25 off or replacement bars. It was a tough choice for me because my practical side said leave it, and my detail oriented side said swap them. Just ask my wife! I think that it was more agonizing for her I researched touching up powder coat, but the best options seemed to rely on having the original powder, which was not really an option, and the Tremclad attempt looked poor (on me, and also mentioned to David).

Believe me when I say that I understand how much effort was put towards the client. These bars where my second choice, and I went with them after my first choice stateside could not supply, and many PMs for feedback from other inmates. In retrospect, the comments may have been premature.

For those of you still following:
ADVENTURE-SPEC AND DAVID WERE AWESOME TO DEAL WITH!

I just need to learn how to better make wine out of sour grapes!

Now, yes DHL did attempt delivery on Fri, and I left them a signature and cheque this morning, so , ummm, I have to go, I think that I have a box waiting at home...

David, I will report back.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #162
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Adventure Spec is great

I ordered 2 sets of crashbars, skid plates, and Barkbusters for our F800GS's on a Monday, they arrived on Friday here in Alberta. The quality fit and finish is excellent. I did have one set of bolts and instructions missing from the crashbar set. David Lomax took great care to apologize and send out replacements ASAP, no charge for shipping and duty. First Class service. Very happy. Also with my order they outsourced my Barkbusters so that we could depart for a Mexico trip with all our gear. That was outstanding.
Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #163
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
One more thing

Canada customs does suck, my bolts may have been miss placed when the monkeys were looking in the box. I have been waiting for days for a pair of boots to clear customs, I'm sure they are wearing them right now!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #164
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Cool2 Good news

For those of you still paying attention, the replacements bars were excellent!

I will not bore you all with details, because I have said enough and supplied David with more pics and info than he needs.

Again, 1000 thanks go out to David and Adventure Spec!
David, I owe you a few pints if you are over the pond this way.

Now let's all
Old 04-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #165
davidlomax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
If our customers are happy, then so are we!

Dave and Chris
www.Adventure-Spec.com
davidlomax is offline   Reply With Quote