the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 AM   #18
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukakoukan
Some of that looks familiar! ;)
I'm in Istanbul at the moment (heading out on Wednesday), I didn't get to see the islands though!

Thanks for showing me what I missed
You should and COULD have done some more sightseeing tours in Istanbul.
Too late,I suppose.Maybe next time...
Old 09-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #19
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAL
Gorgeous. One of those slices of a personal paradise
The world is a paradise and it's everybody's,not only mine.
Thx for the reply.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:44 AM   #20
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,235
Thanks for sharing your pics.
looks like a beautiful place
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 AM   #21
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man
Thanks for sharing your pics.
looks like a beautiful place
Sure it is...I ll share as long as I have something to share...
Thx for the reply.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #22
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
Thanks for the pictures. I need to go back to the Islands some time. They are so different from Istanbul, an oasis of calm and quiet in the middle of a very lively city of 12 million.
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

Oddometer: 547
Cok guzel, thank you for sharing and bringing back memories........
Capotourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #24
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capotourer
Cok guzel, thank you for sharing and bringing back memories........
Everything for ADVriders and those who have cycle spirits...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #25
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strommer
Thanks for the pictures. I need to go back to the Islands some time. They are so different from Istanbul, an oasis of calm and quiet in the middle of a very lively city of 12 million.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM   #26
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,384
Thanks for the time and energy to share these places we would never see except for your work bringing them to us. I'm always amazed at the buildings of old and always just wander how long and how many people it took to build them.
I was once told by a guy that had been riding bikes for 53 years when I was 50 years old about travel pictures and bikes. He stated that he could always tell new traveler stories due to the fact that they just had to include their bike in nearly every picture they took. The longer you traveled the less important that became. After a few 100K miles about the US, solo on my bikes, I know what he met now, 15 years later. ;-).

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Thanks for the time and energy to share these places we would never see except for your work bringing them to us. I'm always amazed at the buildings of old and always just wander how long and how many people it took to build them.
I was once told by a guy that had been riding bikes for 53 years when I was 50 years old about travel pictures and bikes. He stated that he could always tell new traveler stories due to the fact that they just had to include their bike in nearly every picture they took. The longer you traveled the less important that became. After a few 100K miles about the US, solo on my bikes, I know what he met now, 15 years later. ;-).
I now can see that the energy and time I lost putting the pics here takes me to different friendships and glad to have lost time and energy here.I am 32 and have been riding for ab 2 years(11000 km so far).I every moment wish to have started riding earlier and that's why I take my time out riding and breathing at weekends.And this spirit inside proves that it's never gonna end as long as I live.You can google my other RR threads to see for more you expect.Long live with your bike old cyclist and take care.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:42 PM   #28
rickj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Awesome Pictures!

Thanks for posting these pictures. I'm going to check out your other threads as well. Small world...

My Dad married a Turkish woman (Greek ancestry) when I was 7 years old and brought her back to California. She didn't like it here so off to Turkey we went when I was 10 years old. I lived in Istanbul from 1963 to 1968 in the section of town called "Pangalti" (Esref Sokak). We couldn't afford to go the the American schools, so I had to learn French in an old French monastery for two years, followed by three years at the French school at the consulate right behind Taksim square. (I'm sure you know where this is.)

During the summers we lived on Burgaz Ada, the second of the Princess Islands. At that time it was mainly Greek people on the island, and there were no cars, or even running water. Just bicycles, horse drawn carriages, and donkeys. It was a very primitive lifestyle but, compared to the city life which was pretty rough in the 60s, life on the islands was pure paradise.

I visited the island where most of the pictures were taken, Buyuk Ada, many times. I remember the annual pilgrimage where the Greeks would walk up to the church on the top of the island on their hands & knees as a sacrifice! As kids, and not Greek Orthodox, we got to ride the donkeys up.

I've only been back to Istanbul once about 17 years ago and it had changed MUCH since the 60s when I lived there. One of my major goals is to take my wife there so that she can see the country and culture that had such a huge impact on the man that I am.

Thanks for the memories.

Selamlar!
Rick
rickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #29
LeeU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Thumb

Great pictures and sharing the wonderful Princess Islands!!

Lee Ullmann
LeeU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 AM   #30
the venturer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickj
Thanks for posting these pictures. I'm going to check out your other threads as well. Small world...

My Dad married a Turkish woman (Greek ancestry) when I was 7 years old and brought her back to California. She didn't like it here so off to Turkey we went when I was 10 years old. I lived in Istanbul from 1963 to 1968 in the section of town called "Pangalti" (Esref Sokak). We couldn't afford to go the the American schools, so I had to learn French in an old French monastery for two years, followed by three years at the French school at the consulate right behind Taksim square. (I'm sure you know where this is.)

During the summers we lived on Burgaz Ada, the second of the Princess Islands. At that time it was mainly Greek people on the island, and there were no cars, or even running water. Just bicycles, horse drawn carriages, and donkeys. It was a very primitive lifestyle but, compared to the city life which was pretty rough in the 60s, life on the islands was pure paradise.

I visited the island where most of the pictures were taken, Buyuk Ada, many times. I remember the annual pilgrimage where the Greeks would walk up to the church on the top of the island on their hands & knees as a sacrifice! As kids, and not Greek Orthodox, we got to ride the donkeys up.

I've only been back to Istanbul once about 17 years ago and it had changed MUCH since the 60s when I lived there. One of my major goals is to take my wife there so that she can see the country and culture that had such a huge impact on the man that I am.

Thanks for the memories.

Selamlar!
Rick
I have never been so happy here until now.I am glad to remind you of your past.So happy to see some citizens here.You have had a rather hard childhood.I know where you used to live.And I live in Şişli, quite close to where you once lived.
Islands are still deserted and as beautiful as they were when you last saw them.And if you ever make your way here,you have a home waiting for you and your wife.
Selamlar Rick!
Kendine iyi bak!