Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
fatdr OP
dirty dirty boy

Oddometer: 47
any suggestions on bike rental in fairbanks?

I am heading out on sunday from toronto to fairbanks in my semi, delivering a jet engine to a brokendown air canada 777. i will be spending 5 days there waiting for the engine to be replaced and the old one loaded on my truck, so i want to rent a dr/klr or something of that nature. any ideas? i was thinking of heading to denali looking for suggestions where else to go.... help a fat bastard truck driver out with some ideas please..... thanx

'Nobody steps on a burning bag of shit anymore' - Gord Downie, The Tragically Hip

$5.00 smugmug coupon wnXG3c2hNQywg enjoy
http://www.aviciouscycle.ca/
Http://garypaakkonen.com
fatdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Here ya go....

Not sure what they have on-hand at the moment (potentially just HDs) but they're the only rental company in town I'm aware of. Have a safe trip up.

http://www.northernmostmotorcyclerentals.com/index.html

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
KHuddy
Big Sky Country

Oddometer: 2,709
Bring warm riding gear. We are nearing the end of our riding season. You may have highs in the 50s or you may get snowed on; never know this time of year. You are more likely to encounter winter weather in the Park (mountains) area. For local rides there is: Steese Highway to the Chatanika Lodge, about 35 miles from Fairbanks; Chena Hot Springs Road to Chena Hot Springs Resort, about 70 miles; or, the park on the Parks Highway, about 110 miles. Most of the rides that take you on dirt roads are iffy this time of year. The Steese turns to dirt around 35 miles past Chatinika Lodge and is about another 100 miles to Central and the Circle Hot Springs. The Denali Highway down south of the park area is a great ride, but I wouldn't chance it this late in the season. If you are real brave you could ride the Dalton (haul road) to the Arctic Circle; that could be an adventure. Remember, it's not an adventure unless it sucks.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBeemer
Remember, it's not an adventure unless it sucks.
Dang! Then I hope my next trip to Deadhorse isn't an adventure.

Right now I'm waiting for a rider coming up from Edmonton to accompany to Deadhorse. He is expecting to leave home by the 15th. We have to mount a pair of TKC80's on his V-Strom when he gets here, then we'll be heading north. A nice, non-adventurous ride would be just fine with me.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Another trip to Deadhorse, eh.

When do you think you might be heading North Jack? If you're willing to have another rider along, and I can get it around the work (I know....four letter word) schedule, I'd be interested in making a gas run to Deadhorse.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
fatdr OP
dirty dirty boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks
Not sure what they have on-hand at the moment (potentially just HDs) but they're the only rental company in town I'm aware of. Have a safe trip up.

http://www.northernmostmotorcyclerentals.com/index.html
thanx for the tip, i surfed around the net and found another place in fairbanksthat rents bmw's and klr's. i think i'll check them both out, harley probably would not be great for the riding i want to do, they might not appreciate the mud and crap on it or me wanting knobby's installed...

'Nobody steps on a burning bag of shit anymore' - Gord Downie, The Tragically Hip

Old 09-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
fatdr OP
dirty dirty boy

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBeemer
Bring warm riding gear. We are nearing the end of our riding season. You may have highs in the 50s or you may get snowed on; never know this time of year. You are more likely to encounter winter weather in the Park (mountains) area. For local rides there is: Steese Highway to the Chatanika Lodge, about 35 miles from Fairbanks; Chena Hot Springs Road to Chena Hot Springs Resort, about 70 miles; or, the park on the Parks Highway, about 110 miles. Most of the rides that take you on dirt roads are iffy this time of year. The Steese turns to dirt around 35 miles past Chatinika Lodge and is about another 100 miles to Central and the Circle Hot Springs. The Denali Highway down south of the park area is a great ride, but I wouldn't chance it this late in the season. If you are real brave you could ride the Dalton (haul road) to the Arctic Circle; that could be an adventure. Remember, it's not an adventure unless it sucks.
warm gear is a definate, i am now thinking the ride to prudoe bay might be in order. Boss-man is picking up the tab, so y not.... best boss in the world... he is a little pissy he cannot come along.

I agree with the comment 'if it doesn't suck, it's not an adventure' that's why i drive for a living, sux most times but a couple times a year we get to do some really cool shit...

Old 09-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,859
Quote:
When do you think you might be heading North Jack? If you're willing to have another rider along, and I can get it around the work (I know....four letter word) schedule, I'd be interested in making a gas run to Deadhorse.
Hoping that Daren gets here no later than the 18th. We just have to change his tires - which shouldn't take too long on his V-Strom - and then head north. If we decide to overnight at Wiseman we could ride straight through Fairbanks, then round trip it from Wiseman to Deadhorse and back, maybe on the 20th. Long range weather poorcast has it looking pretty nasty after that. Could be nasty over Atigun any time now. But you're welcome to ride along. Misery loves company, y'know.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,479
Wanna bring my bike to Manitoba or BC from Elora for cash?

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
fatdr OP
dirty dirty boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny
Wanna bring my bike to Manitoba or BC from Elora for cash?
we are probably leaving fairbanks tomorrow for kitchener, let me talk to my bossman, i'll let you know

Old 09-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #11
naoki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdr
thanx for the tip, i surfed around the net and found another place in fairbanksthat rents bmw's and klr's. i think i'll check them both out,
I didn't know there is another rental bike place in Fbx. Could you tell us which shop it is?
naoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
fatdr OP
dirty dirty boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoki
I didn't know there is another rental bike place in Fbx. Could you tell us which shop it is?
i found it on an internet search for bike rentals in fairbanks http://www.alaska.net/~bmwclub/ak_mo...e_dealers_.htm i did not get a chance to check them out tho'

Old 09-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Just as an FYI to folks, the rental company fatdr is referring to in that link, Alaska Motorcycle Adventures, is actually located in Anchorage rather than Fairbanks (seems to be a decent shop though based on the one dealing I had with them). The other shops listed on that link, Trails End BMW in Fairbanks and The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage are dealerships.

Too bad you didn't get a chance to get out and play while you were here fatdr...we've had some pretty good weather for it this past week.

-
Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
fatdr OP
dirty dirty boy

Quote:
Just as an FYI to folks, the rental company fatdr is referring to in that link, Alaska Motorcycle Adventures, is actually located in Anchorage rather than Fairbanks (seems to be a decent shop though based on the one dealing I had with them). The other shops listed on that link, Trails End BMW in Fairbanks and The Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage are dealerships.

Too bad you didn't get a chance to get out and play while you were here fatdr...we've had some pretty good weather for it this past week.
hey AK tracks, still here at the super 8, went to the harley dealer and he only has a couple of classicsso i bought a t-shirt and decided to grab a car for a quick trip to denal tomorrow. I am here now 'till monday or tuesday (depends on what air canada is going to do with the old jet engine)..

this is one beautiful city you live in

gonna visit the saloon at captain bartletts tonite, make an ass outta myself

Old 09-19-2008, 07:33 PM   #15
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdr
decided to grab a car for a quick trip to denal tomorrow. elf
You might wanna make a few calls and make sure it is open. They started boarding things up on the 17th. You can't see the mountain from "Glitter Gulch".......so it might be a wasted trip??
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote