User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oddometer: 5,058
Wicked In the name of work

Wednesday, August 13 I took off for Pikeville, Kentucky. What's there? A friggan Wal-Mart. The store my dad was supervising the remodel for was coming down to the wire and he wanted me to come help out and for me to make a few bucks in the process. I didnt get "much" riding in going there or while there. So my pics are from the trip there and back.

Mapquest says 940 miles. 800 miles of Interstate. 240 miles of backroads. 150 miles curvy mountain roads.

My travel expenses are paid for. Gas and 16.5 hours travel time each way.

Here's a teaser...
LaOutbackTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Dirty Bling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Thats what I need a PAID $$$ VACATION lucky bastard
Dirty Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

The original plan was to truck the bike up and ride home. Well, my dad's truck broke down, a bearing went out in the rear end and so he left it. Saddle up!

Bike loaded up. Carrying the tire to replace the worn out TKC.... which I didnt do. "Aw I can make it home!"

7:00 I take off. Cool and foggy. Lets rip!

I'm heading east. "I'll get a good tan on the way to work this morning"

Go east on 20 young man!

I crossed over 20 Navigable rivers going east. The biggerest was of course the Mighty Mississippi. I sang to myself... "Em-eye-es-es-eye-es es-eye-pee-pee-eye" as I crossed the river... I managed to go through it 20 times before I crossed the river into Vicksburg.

On this trip, I even had my own support team and vehicle.

My dad was driving and following me (not in this pic though)....

Welcome to Aba-lama!

B-ham was a blurrr...

And the day was getting short... short each mile that I head east.

Until the end of day one! (Exit 5 is where I got off)

In room security. Dont light a match.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Now, I am not promising a great ride report... just plenty of miles. There were only a few miles of smiles though.... as most of the run was on interstate.

Day 2:

Chatanooga, Tn to Pikeville, Ky.

Didnt eat much breakfast.... so the Bananas were making me hungrier....

I passed this guy up 3 times after I would get gas and then catch back up.... I think he was worried about his bike falling off....

Welcome to Vaginia

Where I met a guy at a stop light to who was stunned that I rode my "dirtbike" from Louisiana.

We be in mountains...

Hillbilly country! Yeee hawwww The bluegrass hwy! Funny thing is I never saw blugrass...

FOOD!

If you are ever in Prestonburg, Ky be sure to stop at "Billy Ray's"

Prestonsburg is a cool little town.

The chef at Billy Ray's. We ate at Billy Ray's every other night, trying their different viddles. Because we became patrons, he would end up giving us dessert (cake or ice cream) every night... he even began bringing us pitchers of ice tea and commented on how much we drank... Cool guy. Great food.
Good Eats!

I was in Prestonsburg for a week and a half, and I only took the above and this picture...

LaOutbackTrail screwed with this post 08-24-2008 at 02:09 PM
Old 08-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #5
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Day 10:
Heading home.
"Why the FORK is my GPS shutting off!!!!???"
Pulled over here to work on the bike.

There's your problem right there.

Here's the fix.

Mo mountains.

Gas. Hmmm. These guys kind of creeped me out... otherwise I would have done a video...

They started off playing football.... then football became banjo pickin, watercooler banging, truck tappin, knee slappin good time. Listen to me... "they"... just some good ole boys on a road trip. Nothing to dissimilar to me...

I'm headed south... how could I tell?

Met my uncle for lunch in Knoxville. He pointed out this awesome old truck... Cool old FJ-4? truck.

Off to Deals Gap. From Sevierville to Townsend onto the Foothills parkway.

As soon as I tookt his pic, 6 or so sportbikes came flying down the mountain and stopped just behind me. Waiting for someone?

WARNING: The following images may not be appropriate for all viewers.

I pulled up seconds after this happened. The lady in the pic was just calling 911 and describing the situation. Moments later one bike, then 2, then all of them showed back up.

Because of the way he landed on the curb, 911 told the lady not to let him move, give him fluids, or change position incase he had internal injuries.

These guys were a group from Orlando and this fella had half of his right leg. He was able to do everything on his bike but use the right brake.

Oddly enough, when the group heard the sirens coming, they mostly took off... and so did I after EMT got there. I had lots of miles to cover and he was in good hands now.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

First the obligatory pics to say I've been there.

The top.

[No pics in between]

The bottom.

Right side of knobby

Left side of knobby

And I managed to scrape both saddlebags.....

The dragon was busy, but I was never passed by any bikes. I passed two vehicles.... and I almost got hit by a damn Harley that couldnt hold the curve. He was in my lane and doing everything he could to keep the bike going around the curve. Had I been in a car, he would have been clobbered.

Then I spotted this plate. Oregon? I talked with Mike, he has been traveling for over 6,000 mils now going across the northern bit of the country coming down the east coast and is heading west again. He just graduated with an engineering degree and is delaying the real world so to speak. We're both close in age so it was easy to converse.

Here's mike and I at the sign.

The only pic I got of Deal's Gap....

With a suggestion from a guy at the bikeshop in Knoxville, I took a shortcut from Hwy 129 to the Cherohala skyway. It was almost as curvy as deal's gap with no traffic.

In my opinion, the Cherohala Skyway was more fun than Deal's Gap. The views much better, smoother surface, and faster curves.

Looking out over Tellico Plains.

I met Gary at the top of the Cherohala Skyway and we rode down together. Nice guy on a BMW 1200RT.

As we were heading out, a flying brick pulls up, "Nice to see a real bike up here" the guys says to Gary. I reply, "Thanks, I try and get my money's worth out of it!" The guy looks at me like "WTF? Shut the hell up!"

In this pic, you can't see it, but, those things in front of the barn are horse drawn wagons... I'm in Mennonite country! But I didnt get to see any on the road... I thought about stopping and asking if I could camp in their yard.... but didnt ever see anyone outside.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,836
It's a hard job.. but someone's gotta do it ... keep it comin'
Old 08-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
It's a hard job.. but someone's gotta do it ... keep it comin'

Gadget Boy to the rescue!

Rewind this radar image to yesterday at about noon, and you will see what I was riding through. From Fort Payne, Al to about 30 miles east of Jackson, Ms I had to ride through rain. 5 hours worth.

I read some where about an archaeologist in Central America who said "You're ok if you stop the rain inside your head. Let it rain inside your head and the rain will get you and you'll be in trouble and quickly become depressed. "

I could do nothing about the rain, except keep my body as dry as I could. I kept it outside of my helmet, rainsuit, gloves and boots.... ok so my boots arent water proof, so my feet were soggy by 6:00pm this day.

I press on.

And spent my 80mph getting laughs such as these... for the next hour I spoke with an english accent.

This reminds me.... Why does the gecko speak with an English accent instead of a Malagasy accent or hell, even a french accent since the gecko they used is a species from Madagascar.

This is a male version of the geico gecko species....

(Madagascar Giant Day Gecko, Phelsuma madagascarensis grandis)
The males have the red blotches on the back, while most females dont. I guess the geico gecko is a female...

During the day, my spirit would be lifted when a motorcycle would go by... atleast I wasnt the only yahoo on the road today.

Actually, I saw 2 groups of about 5+ cruisers and several single cruisers. And on a day like today, I'd expect the real hardcore riders to be out. I saw 4 BMWs (2 GSs, 1 RT, and an older BMW), a Tiger, and a Multistrada. Also saw a couple loaded sportbikes.

Find the airplane.

When I first saw this thing it was lined up better with the freeway and I coulda have swarn it was going to land on it!

That's Birmingham by the way.

Rain rain go away, come back again another day!

YEEE FRICKAN HAWWWW!

Back to Em-eye-es-es-eye-es-es-eye-pee-pee-eye!

And still it rains.
Im almost out of gas when I hit Meridian, Ms. So I pull it and the 2 miles before Meridian were the hardest rains yet.
I dont know how often you guys ride in the rain, but, I get better visibility than when in a car..... may not be safe, but I am able to go faster than the other cars.... My logic is that If I can go faster than them, its less likely that they will not see me when they are going too fast. Makes sense to me. The risks of cars hydroplaning can happen at any speed... so no worries, right?

More rain? How'd you guess?

I was trying to get a shot of this cool old truck. I think it was a ford. I gave the guy a thumbs up and he waved back.

If you look at the shot in the 2nd post of the Mississippi River bridge, you can see the American flag. I tried to get a better shot of the flag, but my timing was about .0004 seconds off....

Bienvenue en Louisiana!

And the land was burning!

Big BBQ for me??? Nope just the grain fields....

On the weekends, I do landscape work... I love the smell of cypress mulch... so Louisiana officials and mulching companies worked together to have this truck lead me across Northern Louisiana with the scent of fresh cypress mulch.

Flat land. Louisiana land....

Check out the timing of this shot.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Oh... my ingenuity for yah.... on my trip to Mexico, I encountered lots of rain.... and with a MotoCross helmet and goggles, your honker takes a beating... and since I've got a big honker, I had to figure something out. I tried a bandana... not knowing that once wet acts like a 16th century torturing/suffocation device. Not fun to fix at 60 mph.

My new anti-torturing device/anti honker-beating device are cheapo dust masks. The green ones dont fall apart in the rain by the way.

In the last two photos you can see that the Smith photo-sensitive lenses do work.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

More rain on the horizon!

And I caught up to it...

After nearly 2000 miles of riding, I only had 3 close calls.... The cruiser on Deal's Gap, a dog just before the photo with the crop duster above, and then an extremely close call only 30 minutes from home.

I was turning into the turning lane at a busy intersection when this dumb ass black bitch comes from across the road, at I shit you not, a fried chicken restaurant, at about a 45* angle towards me and towards the other traffic. Ok, let me describe it this way. She was at the corner and crosses the road and then trys to go behind 4 cars (directly at me) to get into the turning lane on the other side of the road to make the right....

I did everything I could to stop the bike including locking the back break up and sliding it around her bumper MX style.

I slapped her hood and yelled "What the f*ck you doing you stupid ass {Negro} b*tch!?!?" and yes she had the window down.

Then she had the gumption to pull up beside me yelling and cussing at me and call me stupid for riding a motorcycle in the rain because it was so dangerous... I said its only dangerous because of you f*cking morons! I was doing everything I could not to get off my bike and use the steel plate on the front of my MX boots to kick the sh*t out of her car. The thought of slashing her tires

Thank God for the green light.

I did apologize to the lady (and the big boss man upstairs) when I got about 10 miles down the road....

It only rained for about 15 more minutes... but it sucked... I didnt have a honker protector on....

Getting about 6 miles from home, another storm is approaching....
Atleast I was blessed with a dramatic sunset.

5 blocks from home.

Stuck at the traffic light at the front gate of my gated community (Northwestern State University campus)

Thanks for tuning in.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Didnt think it was that boring...
Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM   #12
needles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
- Looks like an awesome ride!
needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #13
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by needles
- Looks like an awesome ride!
The best part of the ride was Friday (deals gap and all)... Thanks for enjoying.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Sugar Pig
almost certain...

Oddometer: 667
Headed too Deals gap in two weeks. Wrote down you suggestion for Cherohala, will def. try that.

Did that guy slide out on the gravel or what. Looks like he went pee-pee. If he had been atgatt you wouldn't be able to see his wet jeans.

Great report, Thanks!
Old 08-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #15
LaOutbackTrail OP
Certified Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Pig
Headed too Deals gap in two weeks. Wrote down you suggestion for Cherohala, will def. try that.

Did that guy slide out on the gravel or what. Looks like he went pee-pee. If he had been atgatt you wouldn't be able to see his wet jeans.

Great report, Thanks!
Another suggestion for you...
WHen you are on the Cherohala, about 10 miles or so before you get to Robbinsville watch on your left for Joyce Kilmer Rd. It bypasses Robbinsville and cuts to hwy 129 (the dragon). Like I said, it was almost as curvy as the dragon but no traffic.

The guy that wrecked was on the foothills parkway. If you are going on it from the Townsend side, there is a detour about a 1/2 to 1 mile in. I didnt see any gravel on the road (plenty on the shoulder), but thats what he said caused him to go down.

Yes, he pissed and shat himself. Poor fella. I sent the pics to his friends so they can pick on him when he gets better....