Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #61
glnn313
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
when i got home my taillight was working again but i can't say the same about my exhaust.good riding with all of you and we will have to recap the adventure over beers at the next syndicate.
glnn313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 AM   #62
ChopperCopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Definitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnn313
when i got home my taillight was working again but i can't say the same about my exhaust.good riding with all of you and we will have to recap the adventure over beers at the next syndicate.

2006 Yamaha Roadliner XV1900
2006 640 Adventure

SmugMug Coupon F3GF1oUZ5uZXF
ChopperCopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 AM   #63
Kapp555
Better to be Offroad!

Oddometer: 671
Great report guys. I am a local as well and will be doing a RR soon around buckeye.

I've lived here now 3 years and you guys actually got rained on while riding! And a puddle and actual water in the crossings!
Kapp555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #64
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker
Here's two tips to buying your first dual sport bike, especially if you want to ride with the A list:

1. Buy something that is light enough to pick up, repeatedly.

2. Buy something that is reliable, but already a little beat up. That way you won't feel as bad while you are picking it up, repeatedly.
So, your SECOND dual sport bike should be a 100 horsepower twin?

Terry, what the heck were you doing with that Adventure in a "Sea of Singles"?

Don't answer. I already know!

Again great photos and videos. Your skill never fails to amaze me on your bike or behind your lens.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #65
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,939
Leading the way, buddypal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo

Terry, what the heck were you doing with that Adventure in a "Sea of Singles"?

Don't answer. I already know!

Again great photos and videos. Your skill never fails to amaze me on your bike or behind your lens.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:39 AM   #66
F_G
new2ds

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker
Baby buck on Wagoner Road.

We stopped at the Minnehaha Mine and Matt had a little braking problem. Don't worry, I stopped him with my 950.

Just finishing off the hard part of Wagoner Road.

Terry, that 950 sure makes a nice parking block.
"Father Goose"
F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #67
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,726
Thanks for the intro, Nightstalker. Now that I’m back into civilization, I guess I can contribute to this ride report in a more meaningful way. Unfortunately, I don’t have near the quantity or quality of images, so you’ll have to settle for witty prose.

Much like a Tarantino flick, let’s flash back to the beginning…
Nightstalker, Glnn313, ChopperCopper, AZBerg, and I rode day 1. It was supposed to be the “technical day”. Day 2 was supposed to be easier, and day 3 was supposed to be medium difficulty, but long. For the most part this was the case, but days 2 and 3 were much more difficult than
planned…

Pics from day 1. You already got most of the details from Terry.

The double-dog-dare was in effect, and Terry was my first sucker.

I was tired of using the buddy pegs, as it had a great effect on my riding technique, so I opted to get it fixed. A nice gentleman in Crown King named Mark (as recommended by mouth from Big Ed for the low price of $20 and a canned PBR) welded my foot pegs to the frame. Oddly, he wouldn’t
permit me to take his picture.

Day 2 involved a subset of riders. Terry booked for PHX on Friday night, so we were down to 4 riders. We left Prescott early and headed for Old Black Canyon Highway to link into Old Fain Rd. The former was a beautiful stretch of dirt and paved twisties through Prescott Valley. Unfortunately Fain Rd. was closed- our first routing issue for the day. We bypassed and headed up Mingus Mtn.

From Mingus Mt. we linked some forest roads to Cherry Rd. The early part of this section was great fun and really rocky. It opened up to some epic views of the countryside. I managed to have another breakage issue when I snapped one of my rear pannier mounts. Cinched it up with some compression straps and continued riding.

Once through Cherry, we booked it to Camp Verde, gassed, rested, and headed to Fossil Creek. We soaked our perpetually pruny feet and enjoyed some shade. I educated all on the native fishes.

We checked out Insurance Hill on Fossil Creek Rd. Apparently Matt is missed. RIP

Had a nice lunch at the Strawberry Lodge. Anything with green chiles and pepperjack cheese is fine by me.

Headed into Payson and jumped on the Fire Control Road for some more dirt. We met up with a local rider, Redeye-AZ, who led us on a lesser-known trail which was great fun and quite technical. (Meanwhile. AZBerg was visiting family in Payson. He missed some good miles.) Unfortunately, I have no photo evidence.

On the Redeye-AZ trail, Glenn popped his rear tube and we spent some beer-drinking time in the hotel parking lot getting it patched. And patched again.

Went to a little-known local establishment called Chili’s. Apparently, it was the only place in town that Matt could order a respectable ladies’ drink. Mrs. ChopperCopper joined us for a late dinner and kindly returned to Mesa with my busted pannier rack and cases. Much lighter for day 3.

Glenn was happy to finally get some food.

Polished off the rest of our beers and teased the locals a bit before sacking out. Day 3 would be a long one.

Day 3 started with a splat as we were geared up to go and realized that the multiple patches installed on Glenn’s rear tube were insufficient. This caused he and I to miss breakfast.
Cyberdos (Julio) travelled up from Mesa to join us for the day. AzBerg headed home, and ChopperCopper opted for a different route. Apparently the trail we chose for Sunday morning was one of ill repute and Redeye-AZ was not eager to join us. These rumors convinced ChopperCopper to take a detour as well. Glenn, Julio, and I pressed on…

We left Payson and slabbed to Rye where we picked up the trail. We thought we’d hit a dead end at 76 Ranch, as the road passes through private property. After some friendly coaxing with Mrs. 76, we were granted access.

And we promptly took a wrong turn and got stuck in the creek.

Once on the proper path, the rumors proved true. It was basically a 4-mile, rocky, steep climb. No major issues except a few wrong turns. Not many pics either.

The trail dumped us into the W side of Young and we fueled and stopped for an Antler burger where we rejoined ChopperCopper. Next on the slate was 609-71 to Punkin Center, but we opted to add Buzzard’s Roost to the list.
This was an excellent choice. The views were spectacular.

Linked back into 609 and made a stop at Mike’s secret cave. Head down, earbuds in, we jammed into Punkin Center jumping off rocks the whole way. Great fun. Julio had a minor get-off, but wasn’t hurt. Glenn decided to leave his supertrapp on the trail. He was forced to run a straight pipe for the remainder of the day.

We again split up at Jake’s Corner when ChopperCopper headed home for a family event. Julio, Glenn, and I pressed on for the final leg of the ride. It was already 4:30pm and we were jumping back on the trail for several hours… it would prove to be a sketchy decision. We knew the consequences and decided to go for it. We exited 87 at Sycamore Creek and hopped on a powerline road which ends at Bartlett Dam.

The “road” was awesome in all ways. It was nearly all off-camber, rocky, washed-out (in some places non-existent), steep, rutted, etc. It winded on for miles. Fortunately, one stretch of the road was a repair-in-progress and we were treated to the leavings of a trackhoe. As the sun was setting, we came to a section of road which was under the present lake level. We hugged the water’s edge and managed our way around, but not before I proceeded to submerge my entire bike in a moment of poor footing and imbalance. Started up after a few tense moments of tinkering.

Found some more wildlife. Discovered that Julio is very fearful of venomous lizards.

Crashed once while staring into the sunset and Julio’s dust. Just a flesh wound.

Finally finished the powerline road and found the Verde riverbed (just downstream of Bartlett Dam) at dusk. Felt our way through the rocky terrain and underbrush to a suitable crossing site. We had to navigate the three bikes through about 40 yards of river ankle to knee deep. The issues
were- 1) it’s now dark, 2) the riverbed is strewn with basketball-sized rocks, 3) everything is covered in slick algae. The moon came out as we pushed the bikes across. One man on the throttle/clutch, one pushing from behind, and another guiding the front wheel over rocks. It was a tiresome, wet, sweaty endeavor. Once on the other side, we eventually found Bartlett Road (paved) and rejoiced. We headed homeward and called it a day at 9:45pm.

Julio was a trooper on day 3. I don’t think he has ever seen such a difficult ride, but he hung in there and performed well.

Glenn deserves the hero award as he stuck with me for the entire 3 days.

Here is an image of the ridden route (red) and planned (grey) routes. I clocked over 600 miles including the miles to/from home.
-DustyRags

DirtyDog screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 02:48 PM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #68
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 840

My hat is off to all of you!! Thanks for the report, pictures, and the vids.

Julio... your foot in that picture was fuckin' nasty bro!!
Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #69
ChopperCopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Great update and pics!

JD- Awesome update to finish the ride report with. I am not sure I would recommend grabbing the Gila Monster though...

2006 640 Adventure

Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #70
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,726
One might think it prudent to avoid brightly colored venomous animals , but I'm no ordinary person.

Actually, I've handled them before. I did Gila monster radio telemetry in Valley of Fire and handled rattlesnakes of all types in the Mojave Desert. It was part of my job. Gila monsters are like teddybears compared to snakes IMHO.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #71
ta2rob
2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer: 307
Excellent!

Terry ... excellect ride report, as usual.

Glenn, though I don't believe we've met, I see your KLR suffers from a type of rear-tire-disorder that I can relate to! Just ask JD, Chopper, Matt, Motomedic, DOD ... the list goes on, and on, and on ...

Also, it's weird you 'lost' your Supertrapp ... mine broke cleanly off at the FACTORY weld the last time I took out my XRL. Never going to buy that brand again.

Chopper & Matt ... glad to 'see' you guys again, even if it's from my computer screen.

Julio ... nice to see a fellow NYer out there mixing it up.

JD - sorry to see you go. I hope your travels bring you happiness. Thanks for the few rides I was party to ... they were fun and challenging at times (when I wasn't fixing flats). Good luck.

Me, well, I've been working my ass off ... paying bills and getting out of debt. Not there yet, but I need to make the money when I can. I would have LOVED to join you all on this epic travel, but I just couldn't afford to take the time off from work.

Which was probably best for those involved, as with my 'luck' I wouldn't have made it past mile 1 without a flat!

But you'll be pleased to know I've outfitted the XRL with a rear rack that now carries spare front & rear wheels/tires, as well as the 45 liter Givi hard saddlebags (complete with a lot of tools) on both sides! Funny, when I carry all that crap, I never break down, but when I shed it for a 'local' ride, well ... I do a lot of cursing and pushing the bike.

I'll stop the rambling and thread hijack now. Sorry.

Best of luck to all and see you out on the trail.
ta2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM   #72
ChopperCopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Ta2Rob Lives!

Rob,
Rumor had it that you had left town and went to work elsewhere......Are you still working on the railroad? Good to see you posting here and bumping this to the top so these FF's here can see how we roll in the desert southwest

2006 640 Adventure

Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #73
AZT2
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great ride report. I've been on a good portion of the trails before, but are you sure that was an Adventure ride? I would say the tires on my 990 would not have a chance in the stuff you guys went through, not to mention the weight. Glad my 990 missed out, I would have liked to have joined you with my 450.

FYI The gas pipe line is suppose to make it all the way to Ash Fork, unfortunately through some private lands.
AZT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #74
ChopperCopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Adventure Ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT2
Great ride report. I've been on a good portion of the trails before, but are you sure that was an Adventure ride? I would say the tires on my 990 would not have a chance in the stuff you guys went through, not to mention the weight. Glad my 990 missed out, I would have liked to have joined you with my 450.

FYI The gas pipe line is suppose to make it all the way to Ash Fork, unfortunately through some private lands.
AZT2- IT is always good to see one of our ride reports causing people to make their first post

Let there be no doubt that anything Dirty Dog puts together is going to be an "adventure ride" one way or another . As for the 990 being questionable one need only watch Nightstalker (Terry) ride his 950 to see that it ain't the bike that you should be concerned about. If the rider has the skills the bike isn't a factor

My 640 had a knackered rear tire when we started due to a back-ordered tire I thought would arrive before the ride....no such luck

I put over 500 miles on it in three days and it is now ready for the dumpster for sure. For what it is worth the Dunlop Rally Raid D908 held up and performed amazingly anyway. I have a new one ordered.... Also I was running my Gobi bags the first two days and they were stuffed full of tools and tubes and gear. They had to weigh 25 lbs. each or more which made my bike feel like a tanker truck in the rocks and mud. How I did not get a flat the whole weekend is a miracle

You can see the tread on the rear is pretty thin and this is day one....One of my favorite pics from the ride BTW

2006 640 Adventure

Old 09-16-2008, 04:59 AM   #75
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,939
AZ2T is no stranger to DirtyDog and Nightstalker rides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCopper
AZT2- IT is always good to see one of our ride reports causing people to make their first post

Let there be no doubt that anything Dirty Dog puts together is going to be an "adventure ride" one way or another . As for the 990 being questionable one need only watch Nightstalker (Terry) ride his 950 to see that it ain't the bike that you should be concerned about. If the rider has the skills the bike isn't a factor

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote