Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #76
ta2rob
2 longs, 1 short, 1 long.

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCopper
Rob,
Rumor had it that you had left town and went to work elsewhere......Are you still working on the railroad? Good to see you posting here and bumping this to the top so these FF's here can see how we roll in the desert southwest
Chopper,

Still here in QC - still working at the RR.

Who said I left? Wished, more like it probably (due to my bad luck & shitty personality)!!

But you know me, I lurk more than I post ... and I work more than I ride. Which explains a lot!

I do wish I was with you guys for that epic ride, though. But if you think your ride was weighed down, my XRL will make your bike look like a feather. Like I said, I now ride with two 45 liter Givis (full of tools & gear) & spare front & rear rims/tires! This way I never break down & look even more ridiculous.

See you out on the trail.

- R
ta2rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #77
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2rob
Like I said, I now ride with two 45 liter Givis (full of tools & gear) & spare front & rear rims/tires! This way I never break down & look even more ridiculous.

You know, you can just bring some spare tubes and a couple tire irons. Might save you a pound or thirty.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #78
ta2rob

Ahh ... how little do you know ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos

You know, you can just bring some spare tubes and a couple tire irons. Might save you a pound or thirty.
If you were with us on the Chiricahua National Monument ride, well, you'd know the kind of bullshit I (and everyone who helped me) went through.

Tube after tube after tube.

Motomedic - a HIGHLY qualified motorcycle mechanic - was there, and even he didn't find anything wrong with the tire & rim. But I kept on getting rear tire flats - like NINE of them!! Truely a world record. If I wasn't patching a tube, I was replacing one. But by the end of the trip I could do it with my eyes closed.

What really sucked was when my air compressor took a massive shit & I had to use a hand-operated bicycle pump let by one of the riders. Of course it was getting dark out by then & we were in the middle of nowhere. I was able to rewire the compressor the next morning at camp and get it 'breathing' again.

I think I bought almost everyone a meal of some sort in Tombstone or Safford, or paid their N.M. admission fee, or something to pay them back for their kindness, understanding, help, & TUBES & PATCHES! I left QC with a spare front & rear tube & my own patch kit, but that lasted only a few hours before they were all used up.

So now I run with spare rims/tires, in addition to spare tubes & another patch kit! And when I do, good ole' Murphy's Law prevents me from getting a flat. Just because I'm carring all that weight and looking foolish. But hey, I get to pretend like I'm some bad ass world traveler when I pull up to a gas pump and get all the 'WTF' stares from the 'locals'. Nice.

And there you have it ...

- R
Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #79
cyberdos
True Story Bro

remind me when I ride with you to sacrifice a chicken or something the day prior for good luck.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #80
ta2rob

Wink

Quote:

remind me when I ride with you to sacrifice a chicken or something the day prior for good luck.
Damn straight! Read up on that ride in this site & you'll get all the nasty details. Fucking rub a rabbits foot, knock on wood, throw salt over your shoulder ... SOMETHING.

But the good news was nobody else broke down or got hurt, so I absorbed all the bad karma of the group and channeled it through my rear rim/tire.

Nice.

- R
Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #81
Nightstalker OP
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,925
Dude, you have to post a picture of that setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2rob
I do wish I was with you guys for that epic ride, though. But if you think your ride was weighed down, my XRL will make your bike look like a feather. Like I said, I now ride with two 45 liter Givis (full of tools & gear) & spare front & rear rims/tires! This way I never break down & look even more ridiculous.

- R

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #82
ta2rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker
Dude, you have to post a picture of that setup!
Yo Terry ... what's up?

After seeing the homemade 5 gallon fuel cell on my SV ... do you doubt my skills at frankensteining the XRL??

See it for yourself when you ride out my way. Or wait an eternity for the pix. I'm not a computer/photo genius like your bad-ass-self!

Seriously, after I get a new battery for the XRL, I'll slap the seat back on & snap a few pix. I've been riding so LITTLE that it won't even take a charge. Sucks to be me. Later.

- R
Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #83
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,440
How can an XRL subframe possibly handle all that weight? Maybe you need to strap a spare subframe to the back as well...

No friggin way you can do anything but flat roads carrying all that crap!

I too await a photo, but we're kind of deviating severely from the point of this thread.
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #84
ta2rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog
How can an XRL subframe possibly handle all that weight? Maybe you need to strap a spare subframe to the back as well...

No friggin way you can do anything but flat roads carrying all that crap!

I too await a photo, but we're kind of deviating severely from the point of this thread.
Gussets ... baby ... gussets. My neighbor's a metal engineer, I have a welder. It's not a show bike for sure.

And I have not done the Terry/JD stress/shakedown test on it yet to see if it'll stand the abuse. Then again, when you ride like a wimp (like me), maybe the bike lasts longer.

If we get a ride in before you leave AZ, we'll find out. Maybe I can follow a trail of my own parts back home (who needs a GPS anyway)?!

I think a Ural Patrol is next. A 2WD hack sounds neat. Plus it would help me not fall as much. And I need all the help I can get.

- R
Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 PM   #85
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,826
Thumb

Great report guys. Makes me want to visit the area sooner than later so I can enjoy exploring some of that dual sport heaven you guys are lucky enough to have out there.

Mebbe it'll plant the seed for a possible place to retire in 10 years.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 PM   #86
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
This report ALMOST makes me wish I was back there, ridin' with you guys! But then, I check out the big trees and the real FOREST and I remember the 100+ degree temps and think NAHHHH!!!

Ta2Rob- good to hear you're still runnin' the XRL, but I'm not sure carrying spare WHEELS is good for the bike! Were you a boy scout perhaps?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #87
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic
This report ALMOST makes me wish I was back there, ridin' with you guys! But then, I check out the big trees and the real FOREST and I remember the 100+ degree temps and think NAHHHH!!!
Wussies need not apply.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #88
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Wussies need not apply.
All of those creek crossings and mud you saw in the report? Think about a place where it rains 100" a year!

(P.S.- bring your electrics- it ain't exactly warm, either!)

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM   #89
ta2rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic

Ta2Rob- good to hear you're still runnin' the XRL, but I'm not sure carrying spare WHEELS is good for the bike! Were you a boy scout perhaps?
Moto,

I've been following your travel back to CA ... so to speak ... in reading your posts. Glad to hear you're happy up there in 'da trees.

Boy Scout ... how could you guess? Seriously, you should know 'cause you were there - spending more time fixing instead of riding sucks. End of story.

The XRL doesn't seem to mind the cargo - at least not thus far.

- R
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #90
AZcacti
Dope on a Rope

Oddometer: 1,320
Great report guys!!!.
AZcacti is offline   Reply With Quote