Old 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #2476
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOz View Post
What happened to all v-twinners?
Have you all gone 180 degrees?
Still got mine....and it's still sitting in the shed waiting on me to purchase a replacement CDI. But every fortnight there's something else. And then I'd have to register it. And then I'd want to pull it apart and mod/restore/spend money on it.

So in the meantime; 180 degree V-twin it is.

Next year maybe.

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 AM   #2477
Jimi-transalp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
My Africa Twin while trip in Slovakia

C:\Users\Michal\Desktop\Africa
Jimi-transalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #2478
Jimi-transalp
n00b

Oddometer: 6
[IMG]C:\Users\Michal\Desktop\Africa[/IMG]
Jimi-transalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #2479
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,788
Jimi

Would love to see the pics of your AT. You'll need to upload your photos to a photo hosting site like Photobucket or Flickr, or better still, Smugmug.

How-to post photos info here - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919 ... option 2, post #1
11 K1600GTL
farcall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #2480
Xander
always in the shadows

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOz View Post
What happened to all v-twinners?
Have you all gone 180 degrees?
Still here as well. Anubis is a live and well.. new brembo front brakes and all. The modification from nissan (with stock lines) to brembo with Hel lines was well worth it. Only problem is i am working too much to enjoy it..
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #2481
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
What are you doing this time Dan?
G'day Cruz,

Converting it to a twin exhaust system. Just trailered it to Denis Foran (at Gosford) this morning for a 'Feasability Study...'
I've got the Arrow Headers fitted up and a pair of SP Engineering Stainless Mufflers. It's booked in with Denis on the 17th Dec to go under the knife.. We worked out how we're running the connector pipes to the mufflers.

I'll need to relocate the rear blinkers (relatively easy fix) & modify / reposition the sidestand. That part will be a little harder.

Also, ordered in an 8L Advtank from the USA. Alone, it could be made fit the LHS on the old TA, but not with the twin exhaust I'm fitting. It's for a 950 / 990 Kato Adventure. I'll advertise here first later on, with more pics, etc - just in case another Honda V-Twinner wants to pursue fitting it.
Basically as far as LH & RH rear tanks go - I'm back to square one. It's looking like the last option will be to get custom Alloy tanks made. That will be more expensive and might have to wait a bit.

Anyway, cannot wait to get the exhaust system crankin'. It's going to Bark!

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #2482
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,940
Dan- WHY are you going dual mufflers- more weight, less room fo fuel?????

If you're thinking custom made alloy tank have a talk with KTM matt. (rockhad rally gear) He built me up a very nice extra 15 litre tank for my 640 KTM (because the standard 450 K range just wasn't enough). Not cheap, but I keep telling myself it doubles as a pannier rack....even though I already had a pannier rack.....and I already had a 20 litre turtle pack ...and we don't often do more than 750 k's between fuel stops....but hilly has a 900 k range so I REALLY needed it

Do you want me to see if his tank comes close to fitting one of the local transalps?
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #2483
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan View Post
Converting it to a twin exhaust system. Just trailered it to Denis Foran (at Gosford) this morning for a 'Feasability Study...'

Practical?

Not sure, but I think it'll look coool!! Have been thinking about it myself.

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #2484
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dan View Post
G'day Cruz,

I've got the Arrow Headers fitted up and a pair of SP Engineering Stainless Mufflers. It's booked in with Denis on the 17th Dec to go under the knife.. We worked out how we're running the connector pipes to the mufflers.

I'll need to relocate the rear blinkers (relatively easy fix) & modify / reposition the sidestand. That part will be a little harder.

Also, ordered in an 8L Advtank from the USA. Alone, it could be made fit the LHS on the old TA, but not with the twin exhaust I'm fitting. It's for a 950 / 990 Kato Adventure. I'll advertise here first later on, with more pics, etc - just in case another Honda V-Twinner wants to pursue fitting it.
Basically as far as LH & RH rear tanks go - I'm back to square one. It's looking like the last option will be to get custom Alloy tanks made. That will be more expensive and might have to wait a bit.

Anyway, cannot wait to get the exhaust system crankin'. It's going to Bark!

Cheers,

Dan.
Interesting, you going to have to redo all the jetting etc as well with the carbies as the Arrow headers would be a bigger diameter than oem wouldn't they? Are the mufflers you are using small?

Have the single Arrow muffler on mine, certainly made it run nicer and lost a heap of weight.

Does anyone know the Africa Twin for sale in Melbourne on Bike Sales?.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #2485
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,984
Quote:

Does anyone know the Africa Twin for sale in Melbourne on Bike Sales?.

looks good , dont know it, shock , horror

Africa Twin for sale

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/...9%204294953647
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #2486
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg View Post
looks good , dont know it, shock , horror

Africa Twin for sale

http://www.bikesales.com.au/private/...9%204294953647
How did that happen?

xronly
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #2487
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 889
Not for sale anymore! I bought it!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #2488
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggs View Post
Not for sale anymore! I bought it!
Lucky bugger, hope it is as good as it looks. You obviously need someone to ride it back to Qld for you now. Could be good rehab.

xronly
Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #2489
Thunder Dan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT View Post
Dan- WHY are you going dual mufflers- more weight, less room fo fuel?????

If you're thinking custom made alloy tank have a talk with KTM matt. (rockhad rally gear) He built me up a very nice extra 15 litre tank for my 640 KTM (because the standard 450 K range just wasn't enough). Not cheap, but I keep telling myself it doubles as a pannier rack....even though I already had a pannier rack.....and I already had a 20 litre turtle pack ...and we don't often do more than 750 k's between fuel stops....but hilly has a 900 k range so I REALLY needed it

Do you want me to see if his tank comes close to fitting one of the local transalps?
G'day Paul,

Yep, will be heavier than the current set up (single up swept Remus), but I'm tipping the whole system will be similar in weight to the standard XL600V muffler. Certainly still lighter than the XL650V Muffler & Cat Convertor combination. I'll weigh it up to compare. However, I tossed the 650V Cat Convertor ages ago..
To be completely honest, the main motivation is the look and sound. I can appreciate that it's not the most practical modification - ie, it takes up more room. Russ also suggested KTM Matt, so will try & get in touch with him.
What sort of money was your rear tank?

Cruz,
Yep the Arrow headers are approx another 3mm in diameter. Doesn't sound like a lot, but they are noticably bigger. The mufflers are 300mm long, 100mm diameter, 51mm ID. You are correct in suggesting that the carbuettors will need adjusting to suit the exhaust system.

Cheers,

Dan.
Thunder Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #2490
Tiggs
Dreamin of Adventure

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Lucky bugger, hope it is as good as it looks. You obviously need someone to ride it back to Qld for you now. Could be good rehab.

Sorry Cruz, organised transport thru Bikes Only. But yeah I'm very happy! It's a one owner bike from Germany comes with panniers and top box, his and her riding gear, looks like a very original well looked after bike!

2011 Yamaha XT660R
1996 Yamaha TRX850
Tiggs is offline   Reply With Quote