User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #46
Stuart T
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Andy

I bought the bike from Pete, who bought the bike from Nigel. it's 'been around', that one.

2002 BMW R1150GS Adventure

...somewhere down under....
Stuart T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #47
AndyK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Talking

Ah ha!
That makes sence,
-it was/is a nicely set up unit!

Cheers
Old 09-16-2008, 07:51 PM   #48
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,940
Hmmm, the vtwinners family tree....

nigel bought that transalp from peter, then sold it to buy his 650 AT from greg, who sold trevor the transalp to just about everyone (I think there are bits of trevor on the transalp marshal bought off me, the white power shock ??? - needed because I'd sold my ohlins to Neil before selling my transalp to Marshal..... did I mention Marshal has 2 1/2 transalps in his shed.. bits from Mike T and Tom T.....). Time for S2W to make a comment her, I think.....

Incidentally, I should dig up some photos of Marshalls (motly my old) transalp- he stripped it, repainted the frame and plastics, replaced / repaired any brocken plastics using bits of all the above bikes, fitted a staintune from , I think, Toms bike, REAR DISC that was lying around in someones shed, a bigger front disc from chaingang (the maffra boys did a group buy), made up a bigger screen.... there is barely any resemblance to the bike honda built in 1987! Which could explain why he always seems to be on my tail when I look behind me......
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #49
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,453
I have a Honda VT250f in the shed that I have been slowly fixing up for my wife (I havn't touched it for months ). Similar to the one in the photo but in no way near as good condition cosmeticaly.
Name:  vt250f.JPG
Views: 2757
Size:  64.5 KB
Reading this thread has given me a bit of an idea. I am thinking about fitting an XR 250 or similar front end and a longer travel shock along with an XR rear wheel and creating a bit of a mini Transalp or micro AT. Obviously early days yet, lot's of measuring to be done before I decide if it is doable or not and before anyone says just sell it and buy an XR, it cost me next to nothing (it cost more to hire the trailer to pick it up) and with a bit of luck I can get hold of the XR parts fairly cheaply so I should be able to get away with it for a lot less cash than a well sorted registered 250 single. Apart from which it should be a lot more comfortable to ride on longer distances and I can't see my wife living with a kickstart for any length of time oh and I do love a good project
Paul.
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #50
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul
I have a Honda VT250f in the shed that I have been slowly fixing up for my wife (I havn't touched it for months ). Similar to the one in the photo but in no way near as good condition cosmeticaly.
Attachment 189335
Reading this thread has given me a bit of an idea. I am thinking about fitting an XR 250 or similar front end and a longer travel shock along with an XR rear wheel and creating a bit of a mini Transalp or micro AT. Obviously early days yet, lot's of measuring to be done before I decide if it is doable or not and before anyone says just sell it and buy an XR, it cost me next to nothing (it cost more to hire the trailer to pick it up) and with a bit of luck I can get hold of the XR parts fairly cheaply so I should be able to get away with it for a lot less cash than a well sorted registered 250 single. Apart from which it should be a lot more comfortable to ride on longer distances and I can't see my wife living with a kickstart for any length of time oh and I do love a good project
Paul.
a worthy project, if you ask me! You probably don't need forks as long as an XR , maybee get a second hand transalp set or something off an XL?? It'll be interesting getting sufficient travel out of the back , but Norm has made a few road to dirt conversions including an SV 650 and TRX conversion. Sure it's easier to buy a stock bike, but where's the fun in that?
Old 09-17-2008, 02:38 AM   #51
Czechie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
It seems that Dr AT and Greg are the biggest Honda V-twin enthusiasts and I have to admit that i've been throught the Transalp therapy as well
Name:  czechie2.JPG
Views: 299
Size:  73.2 KB
but I haven't seen many new Transalps. Does it mean that the older version is better?
Czechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:35 AM   #52
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechie
but I haven't seen many new Transalps. Does it mean that the older version is better?
The original TA's are a bit more dirty but the 650's are still good.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #53
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,985
Crazy kieth and his AT, remeber him paul , this one now lives in Bega

Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #54
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonpaul
Attachment 189335
Paul.
You're giving me ideas. I've been wondering what to do with the wife's Spada when she upgrades
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:54 AM   #55
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart T
Andy

I bought the bike from Pete, who bought the bike from Nigel. it's 'been around', that one.
And I bought it from you... so it's still going round and doing a bloody good job of it too .

I thought I recognised her in some of Greg's photo's. Got any more??

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 AM   #56
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peka
You're giving me ideas. I've been wondering what to do with the wife's Spada when she upgrades
Why wait?
prestonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #57
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
The Collection

Is this Crazy Keith's AT's brother? I think five arrived in Oz with a bunch of Japanese Honda execs... all the same paint scheme, I believe. I know Dean Glover has one identical to mine... . (Think I've found my next AT, an RD04, in Canada, BTW... .)
Attached Images

ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #58
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcan
Is this Crazy Keith's AT's brother? I think five arrived in Oz with a bunch of Japanese Honda execs... all the same paint scheme, I believe. I know Dean Glover has one identical to mine... . (Think I've found my next AT, an RD04, in Canada, BTW... .)
It was seven. I remember them going up for sale the week after I bought my second transalp At the time I was a uni student so didn't have the cash flow to buy one then sell the transalp. I think the story was a bunch of guys (AUSTRALIANS) prepared them for a trip os, shipped them over but when they arrived the container wasn't there. The bikes eventually got back to oz unused.

ps. Keith rides a KTM now.So does Peter H, myself.... not that I'm suggesting anything.....
Old 09-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #59
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechie

The 650 has a higher 1st gear which gets a bit limitting on really steep hills. It's a bit heavier, and that exhaust under the linkages...... other than that it's a great bike. The suspension and brakes are decades ahead of the 600.

There are about 6 x 650 transalps in Maffra now so you'll start seeing photos of them. POP in particular is a good enough rider to do anything you've seen in the pics posted so far on his 650 (he sold a 600 last year to buy it).

The local shop is considering a 700 demo. Just imagine test riding a 700 in dirt bike heaven.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #60
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
The original TA's are a bit more dirty but the 650's are still good.

HEHEHE... once upon a time that elephant came to the ozhondavtwinners cameron corner gathering..... Mike came back with Andy and Myself I can't post the photo of him holding his bent shock - it's a normal photo , as are the shots of how it happened, but suffice to say when an elephant and a transalp have a jumping contest the transalp keeps riding That was one fun ride!