Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #61
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr AT
HEHEHE... once upon a time that elephant came to the ozhondavtwinners cameron corner gathering..... Mike came back with Andy and Myself I can't post the photo of him holding his bent shock - it's a normal photo , as are the shots of how it happened, but suffice to say when an elephant and a transalp have a jumping contest the transalp keeps riding That was one fun ride!
Like this !!!

Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #62
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcan
Is this Crazy Keith's AT's brother? I think five arrived in Oz with a bunch of Japanese Honda execs... all the same paint scheme, I believe. I know Dean Glover has one identical to mine... . (Think I've found my next AT, an RD04, in Canada, BTW... .)
This is Dean's AT when it was owned by Jim ( captain Chaos)

Old 09-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #63
AndyK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Talking

Quote:
HEHEHE... once upon a time that elephant came to the ozhondavtwinners cameron corner gathering..... Mike came back with Andy and Myself I can't post the photo of him holding his bent shock - it's a normal photo , as are the shots of how it happened, but suffice to say when an elephant and a transalp have a jumping contest the transalp keeps riding That was one fun ride!
That was insane ... on the way into Arkaroola Dr AT and Mike were using cattle grids as launch pads... it was fantastic to watch as a spectator . Unsurprising result
- I think that elephant is still sulking in a shed somewhere

That post reminded me of a earlier section/day in the trip... Gregs "short cut" up the Bore Tk....
Just fantastic
Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #64
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
This TA went swimming, at night, in the desert (I always get in trouble when I post this photo!!)....

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #65
DANNOj
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,154
Rob (NEWCMAN) again....

DANNOj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #66
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,899
unlike greg, the only racing I did on my TA was road racing. Had a great dice with this RG500, eventually coming home with a second and three third trophies. I'd pass him around this corner then he'd pass me down teh straight - either side of the finish line....

edit- looking back, I think that was my first transalp- bought it with about 100K on the clock, absolutely rooted but all I could afford at the time (after a couple of years of guzzi ownership the funds were depleted). The road trail tyres would heat up by the fourth lap and things would get interesting...... apparantly when I opened the throttle everyone behind would drop back - just so they could get away from the smoke.....
Attached Images

Dr AT screwed with this post 09-18-2008 at 03:59 PM
Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:20 AM   #67
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
unlike greg, the only racing I did on my TA was road racing. Had a great dice with this RG500, eventually coming home with a second and three third trophies. I'd pass him around this corner then he'd pass me down teh straight - either side of the finish line....
What a hoot..

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #68
AndyK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Laugh would you buy this bike?

Dr AT heavy on the right wrist
Old 09-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #69
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,899
andy, the first ride after he bought my bike... trouble was we turned around and had to get back over that log.
Attached Images

Dr AT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #70
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

from a ride into the Wonnangatta

On Zeka spur

Me at the Condo 750 in 93

Rob & his Dero on the way to Wanaaring

Old 09-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #71
la fletche
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Woo-Hoo! Ordered my A Transalp 700 yesterday, Have to wait until November for delivered as all current stock is sold out. Hope to have some photos of my adventures soon. Keen to find some after market extras to deck it out for tripping around. Any tips would be appreciated.
la fletche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #72
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
The Five/Seven Africa Twin Brothers: Japanese / Aussies?

[quote=Dr AT]It was seven. I remember them going up for sale the week after I bought my second transalp At the time I was a uni student so didn't have the cash flow to buy one then sell the transalp. I think the story was a bunch of guys (AUSTRALIANS) prepared them for a trip os, shipped them over but when they arrived the container wasn't there. The bikes eventually got back to oz unused.

Funny that, Paul. Story I have is five Jap Honda execs bought identically painted RD04s in Svendborg, Denmark (hence my bike's screen sticker); rode them to Belgium; shipped them to Durban, South Africa... and waited... and waited... and waited. No bikes! Eventually they arrived. They then cut their very brief South African adventure short (now running out-of-time) and shipped them to Sydney... then rode them to Brisbane.... ran out-of-time; flew back to Japan, after leaving them at a dealer in QLD... who then flogged them, one-by-one. Mine went to Melbourne, as you know... and I flew from Perth and rode it back home. Now you could be right, but if they were Aussies, how on earth were these brand new bikes (if brought back by Aussies) registered in Oz?!

Now my Transalp was left in Tassie by a Japanese student, who sold it to a Taswegian who 'migrated' (ha, ha!) to WA. I found it in Bunbury WA and was ready to ride it home without a helmet, until the seller fella chucked in a Shoei, free.That TA now sports one of Marshall's disks.
(Don't start me on Marshall's TAs... Transalps on steroids...!!!!!!)
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #73
ozcan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Dean's / Jim's Africa Twin

Yep, identical bike. I can now account for three of the five / seven. I had a chance to pick up an identical AT (undoubtedly one of the 5 / 7) a coupla years ago. I think it had three times as many kms as mine... and looked like it had been ridden very properly (ie., dropped heavily a lot more than mine); so i backed off. Regret that now.

The RD04 in North Vancouver is interesting... but expensive at C$5800.00 for a 1990 AT which has been repainted (R,W&B) with orange touches. Lucas' 1992 RD04 in Montreal seems like a much better buy, but it's in the wrong place, at the wrong time... . I'd fly to Montreal, now, but the leash is too short... .
ozcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:00 PM   #74
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozcan
Yep, identical bike. I can now account for three of the five / seven. I had a chance to pick up an identical AT (undoubtedly one of the 5 / 7) a coupla years ago. I think it had three times as many kms as mine... and looked like it had been ridden very properly (ie., dropped heavily a lot more than mine); so i backed off. Regret that now.
thats kieth's bike piccied above which now lives in bega. It was defineately Aussies that brought those bikes in, somewhere in my archives I have a story about them from AMCN, I'll see if I can find it and scan it
Old 09-20-2008, 01:06 AM   #75
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

here ya go,