any ATs been for sale here recently?
Last one was last year, I generally hear about them when they are for sale
Old 09-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #92
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTBACKRIDER
Foundthis pic of the new Trannie with a few farkles.
excellent, Ive been waiting for someone to get a 700, I look forward to checking it out on a ride
Old 09-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #93
Crackers1
crackers1

Oddometer: 3
Thumb Crackers1

Good thread fellas, I'll watch with interest
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #94
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekube1
I'm thinking hard about fitting a later model TA disc braked back end to my beast. I know it probably won't make that much of a difference, but I want to do it just to modernize her.

I know there is a heap of stuff over in beasts about guys fitting AT rear ends, but I don't want to go that far and plan on just sticking with the TA setup. I can't find anything about this. Does anyone know if the later swingarm will just bolt in or if I'll have to do other mods?

Greg???

Cheers

Mike
the pics greg posted are marshalls transalp- previously mine. The whole setup was a good day in a shed with a few bits from the parts bin. The disc is fitted to a plate fabricated to fit the original hub, a bracket for the brake was built up and the master cylinder was mounted to lugs welded on the frame. NOt exactly ADR compliant but well built and far more reliable than the original set up... trouble is the guy who made it up only does it for mates who he knows are not going to bite him if things go wrong - sorry.
Dr AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #95
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

actually Mike, you should be able to get away with the standard drumbrake swingarm.

The prob will be finding a donor wheel, caliper & caliper hanger, you'd really need to try a 650 one to see if it could be made to fit, the mid 90's TA 600's with disc rears never came to Oz so you'd have to get em from OS. Something else worth checking is an NX650 disc brake rear wheel setup, I think they are pretty close to the same.

Anything can be done, just depends on how much trouble its worth to you
Old 09-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #96
icekube1
Middle aged git

Oddometer: 1,623
Greg/Doc

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I don't hold much hope of finding the bits I need here. I've tracked down the parts on Italian Fleabay. There was a complete 600 setup for sale, but was a bit daggy looking. While I was mulling it over the swingarm got sold, leaving only mastercyl/caliper setup and a wheel. There is still a complete 650 setup currently for sale, but I'me just a bit nervous about whether or not it will bolt in (parts are exxie enough, postage ...sheeesh.. don't want to get them here and find they don't fit)

Soo.. the mod done by Doc 7 his mates looks like a good way to go. I'd really like to see some detail about how the drum brake hub was adapted to accept the disc. And now that I think about it I think these photo's were posted up on the TA Mods thread after someone elese asked the same question. Might have to go back and trawl thru the thing and see if I can find it.

I've thought about the AT swingarm thing. While I like the look of them (cam type chain adjustment and all) I'm a bit worried that the extra lenth and/or height will stuff up the front end geometry if I don't fit matching front forks as well. I'm not really looking for increased height/suspension travel, the thing is tall enough now

Mike

Why stand when you can sit down..
Why sit when you can lie down..
icekube1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:51 AM   #97
icekube1
Middle aged git

And seeing as you mentioned them first.. a gratuitous shot of the TA in company with a couple of her one lunged cousins at the TTT

I like the Dommi, despite its respiratory affliction. Quite amazing really that Honda could have manufactured 2 bikes so similar in concept but different in execution, at the same time. Hardly suprising the bean counters axed one of them in the end. Shame tho'.

Mike

Old 09-24-2008, 04:10 AM   #98
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

these are the best pics I have of the rear brake set up, if you need anything more PM me. Also, if you're considering getting a wheel from OS would you like me to see if a late rmodel wheel fits? (I'm pretty sure it does) - It'll take a few weeks to coordinate, but we have a 94 600 as well as a few 650's and old 600's in town.

Personally, I'd be looking really closely at a dominator rear end

Also, I can say for certain the 94 has a different shock to the 87, I think also different linkages, so getting a later model TA rear end is going to get comlicated
Attached Images

Dr AT screwed with this post 09-24-2008 at 04:21 AM
Old 09-24-2008, 04:11 AM   #99
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

side view
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2008, 04:12 AM   #100
Dr AT
(KTM quack)

master cylinder
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #101
icekube1
Middle aged git

Thanks for those pic. Looking at it, I reckon that that 's the way to go, no worries then about which swingarm will or won't fit, just need to find someone to do the metalwork. I can see that I might have to invite myself down there at some stage to have a look at that bike.

Cheers

Mike

Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #102
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by icekube1
Greg/Doc

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, I don't hold much hope of finding the bits I need here. I've tracked down the parts on Italian Fleabay. There was a complete 600 setup for sale, but was a bit daggy looking. While I was mulling it over the swingarm got sold, leaving only mastercyl/caliper setup and a wheel. There is still a complete 650 setup currently for sale, but I'me just a bit nervous about whether or not it will bolt in (parts are exxie enough, postage ...sheeesh.. don't want to get them here and find they don't fit)

Soo.. the mod done by Doc 7 his mates looks like a good way to go. I'd really like to see some detail about how the drum brake hub was adapted to accept the disc. And now that I think about it I think these photo's were posted up on the TA Mods thread after someone elese asked the same question. Might have to go back and trawl thru the thing and see if I can find it.

I've thought about the AT swingarm thing. While I like the look of them (cam type chain adjustment and all) I'm a bit worried that the extra lenth and/or height will stuff up the front end geometry if I don't fit matching front forks as well. I'm not really looking for increased height/suspension travel, the thing is tall enough now

See if you can get in touch with Claudio (Clantech in here) He has a contact in Singapore and was bringing in parts while he was in Aus. Maybe try dropping him a line on his web site "claudioangelini.ch" and ask him for his source.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #103
icekube1
Middle aged git

Thanks for the suggestion Clancy. I might give him a try, however just checked out his website...looks like he could be a bit busy to worry about the likes of me and my search for a few old TA bits and pieces

Mike

Old 09-25-2008, 05:39 AM   #104
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
See if you can get in touch with Claudio (Clantech in here) He has a contact in Singapore and was bringing in parts while he was in Aus. Maybe try dropping him a line on his web site "claudioangelini.ch" and ask him for his source.
Thats Chan at m-teknik, only sells new stuff, a lot of us Oz At'ers get our bits from him
Old 09-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #105
AndyK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
foot pegs lowering AT

- going with the mods theme how hard is it to drop footpegs a couple of cms?
I'm slightly taller than the previous owner and find I'm a bit hunched over the bars when standing up, Paul had installed bar risers so i figure lowering the pags a little will save my upper back.
I know Greg bought some aftermarket pieces, but Dr AT suggested that 600XR pegs may fit...
Cheers