User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
obsidian OP
Scared of the dark..

Oddometer: 837
2008 F650gs

Just curious if anyone has opinions or thoughts about the 650GS for fire roads and gravel roads? Will the rims be ok for that sort of riding?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian
Just curious if anyone has opinions or thoughts about the 650GS for fire roads and gravel roads? Will the rims be ok for that sort of riding?
As far as I know we have no first-hand reports (good or bad) on the 658 cast rims.

While they are cast rims, they look more beefy than many I have seen. Also, apparently the 800 spoked rims aren't really as beefy as you might suspect...

See the pictures at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154536

So ... you might buy an 800 and STILL decide the rims are not "fit for purpose" ?

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #3
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Been riding mine on fire roads. No problems with the rims. Tire are a different story. The stock ones are fine for normal travel but if you plan on more aggressive riding especially on loose dirt/gravel knobbies like the TKC would be better.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Chatting about this on another thread. Blackie, what do you think about throwing some X Country rims and knobbies on the 650 for a little more serious dirt riding? Not motocross, but not groomed dirt roads either.

-Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
blackie
Still Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin650GS
Chatting about this on another thread. Blackie, what do you think about throwing some X Country rims and knobbies on the 650 for a little more serious dirt riding? Not motocross, but not groomed dirt roads either.

-Rob
Sorry didn't see this earlier..
The xcountry rims might work if it fits....
Old 09-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

From the BMW website.
F650GS
Front Wheel2.50 x 19 cast aluminum
Rear Wheel3.50 x 17 cast aluminum
Front Tire110/80 x 19 tubeless
Rear Tire140/80 x 17 tubeless

XCountry
Front Wheel2.50 x 19 wire-spoke
Rear Wheel3.00 x 17 wire-spoke
Front Tire100/90 x 19 tube-type
Rear Tire130/80 x 17 tube-type

Hope this helps.

-Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
Old 09-28-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
blackie
Still Hibernating

Yeah the numbers look about right, just wondering about the other stuff like brake rotor, sprocket mounts etc if those will fit too.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

That and axle spacing, too.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
mrpete64
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
I am seriously considering the 650 due to the fact that I "fit" better on it. I broke right leg and it is easier to throw my leg over the 650 due to the fact that is a bit lower. My only concern is that I want to go to South American on it and wonder about the cast wheels. I really don't think that I am going to "bash" it over big rocks/trees/and truck parts if I can help it.
I appreciate any "insights" you might offer about the cast wheels. I realize that if one hits anything big enough it will take out either type of wheel.

Again...thanks for you comments.

Mr. Pete--->
mrpete64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
blackie
Still Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64
I am seriously considering the 650 due to the fact that I "fit" better on it. I broke right leg and it is easier to throw my leg over the 650 due to the fact that is a bit lower. My only concern is that I want to go to South American on it and wonder about the cast wheels. I really don't think that I am going to "bash" it over big rocks/trees/and truck parts if I can help it.
I appreciate any "insights" you might offer about the cast wheels. I realize that if one hits anything big enough it will take out either type of wheel.

Again...thanks for you comments.

Mr. Pete--->
Cast rims -> Tubeless tyres -> easier to repair punctures on the side of the road
Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie
Cast rims -> Tubeless tyres -> easier to repair punctures on the side of the road
what he said!--that was 1 of the reasons i went with the 650 over the 800 have been bombing around on dirt roads since i got mine and think its great! don't even mind the tires-mind you i'm not trying to maintain dakar speeds- but running 40-60 mph its cool have 1100 miles on and about 1/2 is dirt
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

I asked Woody about spoked wheels in the Vendor Forum, and got this.

Post 946

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...145899&page=64

-Rob

Old 09-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #13
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
I think that as long as you maintain good pressure in the tires (over 30 psi) the rims will be ok for almost anything you would attempt on the 650. I went uphill on two long runs of concrete steps last week and the rims survived. Maybe not much of a test as hitting a pothole at over 60 but just don't think that there's much to worry about if you keep the psi up.
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
RobTheRigger
Thread Killer

Don't you usually air down for off-road?

When are you planning on modding your 650 for a trials bike? I don't have any stair climbing skillz!

-Rob

RobTheRigger screwed with this post 09-30-2008 at 04:24 PM