User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #1
BadBrains OP
n00b at best

Oddometer: 8
Wink Sidecar vs. Trailer?

Gentlepeople, I have a dilemma. I ride a 125cc scooter and recently sold my truck as she was seeing no use. I do miss the ability to haul things though, and would like to get a motorcycle with enough power to haul a trailer or a sidecar. That's my question really...

Would I be better off with a utility trailer or a utility sidecar? It's my feeble understanding that sidecars can be dangerous for a novice and trailers are okay when their load is balanced. My end goal is to have a dual sport motorcycle that I can attach a trailer/sidecar to when I need to move a small load/furniture etc. I wouldn't use the trailer/sidecar off-road most likely.

Can you recommend one over the other? How many CCs do you think I'll need to truck 180 lbs of dude, 100 lbs of gear/random crap, and however many lbs (150-200?) of trailer/sidecar?
BadBrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBrains
Gentlepeople, I have a dilemma. I ride a 125cc scooter and recently sold my truck as she was seeing no use. I do miss the ability to haul things though, and would like to get a motorcycle with enough power to haul a trailer or a sidecar. That's my question really...

Would I be better off with a utility trailer or a utility sidecar? It's my feeble understanding that sidecars can be dangerous for a novice and trailers are okay when their load is balanced. My end goal is to have a dual sport motorcycle that I can attach a trailer/sidecar to when I need to move a small load/furniture etc. I wouldn't use the trailer/sidecar off-road most likely.

Can you recommend one over the other? How many CCs do you think I'll need to truck 180 lbs of dude, 100 lbs of gear/random crap, and however many lbs (150-200?) of trailer/sidecar?
While sidecars can haul stuff, if hauling "stuff" is all you want to do a trailer may be a better answer depending on your intended usage and environment.

You can hang a sidecar on just about anything. Engine size, power, and other items like that determine how fast you can go and/or how big of a sidecar and load you can pull. I had a cozy sidecar on a Stella, and I did some significant engine work to it to achieve an indicated speed of 50 - 55 mph flat out with no wind, or more realistically a cruising speed of 45. It was not a particularly fun rig to ride, and I have enjoyed the two motorcycle-based rigs I've put together since then much more.

For me it is all about the fun of driving one, the ability to take my dogs for a ride, and the look. Hauling stuff is a distant, distant issue. If that's all you want to do I'd recommend a trailer.
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
BadBrains OP
n00b at best

Thanks for the sound advice! I intend to keep the motorcycle detached as much as possible and only attach the workhorse when I need to move "stuff". It seems like a trailer would be much faster to attach/detach.

I live in Austin, TX and plan to ride about 70% street, 20% dirt, and 10% highway. I'd most likely use the trailer only on streets below 40mph.

I've seen a few threads showing a KLR650 haul a trailer. Would that be a viable option if I were hauling a small version of a landscape trailer?
Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Oddometer: 668
Trailer for Urals

Here is mine that I built in an afternoon. Pulled it over 400 miles this weekend with no problems. Worked like a champ on all kinds of road from Interstate @ 65mph to backroads and gravel mountain roads. I bounced it over 40 miles of gravel also.
Attached Images

Scott Davis screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 05:12 PM Reason: wrong photo
Scott Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Ural Trailer Mount

Just a copy of the one online. Worked great!
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Mount again

This one is looking back.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Bend it like this to pull straight

This worked really well. The bike was actually more stable pulling the trailer.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Scott Davis
Which way did they go?

Offset the tongue like this

Here is how the trailer looks from the underside.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
ttredichem
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Trailer on scooter

I'm running a Honda Ruckus with a trailer: I use a Foldit dock/garden trailer. All aluminum, weight 35 lbs, rated for 200 Lbs when using the bicycle hitch they sell, which I've adapted to the Ruckus. Not a highway rig, but works for store runs, moving stuff from parking lot to boat, etc. I've hauled 3 full 5 gallon diesel jerrycans, a trailer full of groceries, including 4 cases of soda and a 30 lb bag of dog food, 2 55-60 lb anchors w/ chain and rode to prepare for T/S Hannah. Its a neat rig, and it all fits on the aft deck of my boat.

ttredichem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
BadBrains OP
n00b at best

Thanks everybody! That sidecar/trailer combo actually looks ideal. And now I'm going to have to pursue the "trailer on a scooter" idea to fruition. Seeing that pic alone makes me want to keep the scoot and develop a stable. When I get everything set up I'll post some pics.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:56 PM   #11
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
thanks for posting about the foldit trailer that is pretty sweet
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #12
DustyJacket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Attaching a sidecar is more involved in attaching a trailer. Lots of adjustments. So if you are going to be putting it on and taking it off a lot, a trailer makes sense.

Running a hack makes the tire wear like car tires. They don't wear like motorcycle tires, which lean in a turn. So if you run a hack a lot, the tires will be much less "round" in cross section, and make leaning in in corners (with the hack detatched) a little more tricky. If you were going to use it a lot, I'd personally prefer a sidecar.

Yes, sidecars are trickier - expecially in turns where the hack is on the inside of a turn.
IBA #28412

Bill & Pete Slay the Dragon - http://www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

My web page : http://www.dustyjacket.com/mc/
DustyJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:18 AM   #13
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
YEAH SWEET LITTLE TRAILER BUT IT CANT BE ROAD LEGAL??,OR IS IT,NO TAIL LIGHT,INDICATORS OR NUMBER PLATE,IS IT NOT A REQUIREMENT OVER THERE.

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
ttredichem
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Legal trailer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairhead
YEAH SWEET LITTLE TRAILER BUT IT CANT BE ROAD LEGAL??,OR IS IT,NO TAIL LIGHT,INDICATORS OR NUMBER PLATE,IS IT NOT A REQUIREMENT OVER THERE.
Strictly speaking its not road legal, and I'm not sure it could be made so; it is, after all a garden and dock cart, and has no title. It does have lights though, a pair of clip on bicycle lights, battery powered, that either flash or shine continuously, no brake lights, but the trailer doesn,t obscure the ruckus tail light. Obviously you wouldn't want to be running all around the countryside towing it, but that was never my intention. I carry both the scooter and trailer on my yacht, which I live on, as a "land tender". For a trip from the dock to the grocers, or the chandlers for parts, it works fine. In most US states, a scooter under 50cc doesn,t have to be registered or licensed, so an unlicensed trailer doesn't attract official attention. Mostly I use it in small towns where law enforcement is somewhat more relaxed.

Ruckus and trailer on stern of boat. the trailer is behind the scooter, wheel just visible.
ttredichem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
completely unrelated to trailers but I'd love to hear what living on a boat is like.

ups and downs

it always has seemed like a cool thing to do at least once in life.
looks like my dad is going to give me his old sail boat soon...

is it hard to find cheap places to dock/moor/tie up?
perhaps that an irrelevant question if you live on a yacht?
maybe we should start a new thread if you are game.
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote