Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
RobTheRigger OP
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Non-OEM bags: Dealers/Salesmen chime in!

My shiny new 650 /2 is on the boat. Yesterday, I got my factory farkles picked out; bashplate, handguards, touring windscreen. I want top and side cases for my primary use, namely all-weather combat commuting. Here is my dillema; I really want the Jesse's, but I can't afford to buy them outright, right now. I DO NOT want the Varios, which I can put on my loan. Not that they aren't good bags, I just don't want to replace plastic when I drop it in the parking lot when I can bring the Jesse's to work to pound out and weld up. They are right around the same price. My dealer kind of dogs aftermarket stuff, which I take with a grain of salt and shrug off, but they aren't a Jesse dealer and they don't sound like they want to be. I called Xploremoto and another BMW dealer a couple hours away, but they really can't do anything for me. I even offered to buy the factory GPS, which I don't need, if they hook me up. Any suggestions?
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Panniers for F650/F800 GS

Some choices:
Caribou - about $770 Yes, they are plastic, but they are tough
Happy Trails - $710 to $823+ Aluminum, several sizes to choose from
Less money, more work: Buy racks from SW Moto, Hepco-Becker, Happy Trails or others. Buy aluminum panniers from KLR650.com.
Even less money: plastic ammo boxes from your local sporting goods store.
Inexpensive top case: JC Whitney (the one on my KLR has 25k miles on it).

I going with the Jesses; the Varios are about the same money.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #3
jstcrashnthru
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 1,212
+1 on the Caribou's. Made from Pelican cases they're guaranteed for life. Break it, get a new one.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
My F800GS is supposed to be here on October 24th and I have been looking at the different options available for the past three months. Coming from an off road background I found alot of the accessories to be somewhat foofy. So after a bit of debate I decided to take the situation into my own hands ...

www.FarkleFab.com

I'm hoping to have the prototypes done two weeks after getting the bike.

Food for thought ...
Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #5
RobTheRigger OP
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 673
Maybe I'll hold off and see what your stuff looks like. I'm going to make my own top box out of a Pelican I have my SCUBA regs in (they'll go in a Rubbermaid 'til I get a new one). It will hold a couple of neatly folded uniforms and my laptop. I'll have to net my boots on top, though. Matterhorns or desert Acadias - not good for riding. I'll save FF to my favs and check in periodically. Thanks, DG!

-Rob
I can imagine a no more rewarding career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: "I served in the United States Navy." JFK

"I rode a lot of dirt bikes when I was younger, so I trust the chain and sprockets more than that newfangled voodoo shaft stuff!" DolphinJohn
RobTheRigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV FF
Maybe I'll hold off and see what your stuff looks like. I'm going to make my own top box out of a Pelican I have my SCUBA regs in (they'll go in a Rubbermaid 'til I get a new one). It will hold a couple of neatly folded uniforms and my laptop. I'll have to net my boots on top, though. Matterhorns or desert Acadias - not good for riding. I'll save FF to my favs and check in periodically. Thanks, DG!

-Rob
Cool! After working out some bugs yesterday it looks like we'll have prototypes by the 1st week of November. Stay tuned ...